Cubo 15

More
13 years 3 months ago #10845 by PatricJ
Replied by PatricJ on topic Cubo 15

jee wrote: what is the best between kappalite 3015 or the kappa 15lf pro ? with around 200watt in a room

You're gonna need more watts as these speakers need a minimum 450 watts, with the pro needing 600W, I think.

Whichever speaker you choose you will be happy, though- once you feed it enough power smiley2

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 years 3 months ago #10848 by jee
Replied by jee on topic Cubo 15

PatricJ wrote:

jee wrote: what is the best between kappalite 3015 or the kappa 15lf pro ? with around 200watt in a room

You're gonna need more watts as these speakers need a minimum 450 watts, with the pro needing 600W, I think.

Whichever speaker you choose you will be happy, though- once you feed it enough power smiley2

I have a 11'x20' room, you think I need much power than 200-250 watt with a 99db driver ?

I have for the moment a 85db driver with a 350watt 4ohm amp. a high-eff driver should be done wayyy much spl than that right ?

just want to know because I'm not familiar with PA driver. It is maybe not that good if it's not push hard

More
13 years 3 months ago #10849 by PatricJ
Replied by PatricJ on topic Cubo 15
Jee-

What I'm trying to say is that you don't want to under power a speaker- you're just asking for trouble down the road. I've always read that you want to size an amp at least to the same RMS wattage as the speaker wants, ideally more- like 50% more. If you under power any speaker you could damage it.

Sorry if I said that wrong in the last post, sometimes my English is bad- and that's all I speak!

I think you'd be better finding a driver that takes 200 watts and putting that in a cubo rather than getting a 450 watt driver like the Eminence, putting it in a cubo and only giving it 250 watts.

The cubo was designed to work with many drivers.

I've only got a 300 watt speaker in my cubo, and it does fine- very fine, BUT my amp is rated at 375 watts, and It's only turned up about 2/3.

More
13 years 3 months ago #10850 by jee
Replied by jee on topic Cubo 15
ok, thanks for the information. I have never work with PA driver so I dont know all the differance on the live result between hifi and PA bass driver. but it's very interesting me :) (sorry my english too, I speak frensh)

More
13 years 3 months ago #10910 by Cubo15
Replied by Cubo15 on topic Cubo 15

I have for the moment a 85db driver with a 350watt 4ohm amp. a high-eff driver should be done wayyy much spl than that right ?

That's correct. If it's purely for in the living room, I would not mind the amplifier power too much as long s it's well away from clipping.

The idea behing the 2x power rating for an amplifier is that an amplifier that is twice the power rating will be kept away from clipping at all times. An amplfier that is at the same power level as the speaker or even lower is more likely driven into clipping. Clipping means the average power value is raised substantially, so far that even a 50 W amplifier could damage a 100 Watt driver. Bottom rule: Keep it away from clipping at all times and your speaker will likely survive.
However head room is always a good thing and might save your driver the day you decide to "crank it up".

same here i only know inches an feet too but u can do wat i did buy a mm tape its the bast way to go

Good reminder,

Cubo 15 is available in plans converted to inches and panel thickness converted from 18 mm to 19,05 mm. Send an e-mail to questionsaboutcubo at geemail dot com to receive the plans. (Not with me today).

This is the link to the manual, maybe that will be a bit of a help: www.rockfordfosgate.com/library/ ... rs-man.pdf

That's the one I used but thanks for the effort ;)

63hz is pretty good freq. to have a lot of output, right? I am a mobile DJ now and would like to replace my current 12" inch subwoofers with one of these (and later one a second identical one) Thanks again!

63 Hz is a good frequency to have lot of output. Indeed it's often (almost all popular music) the frequency with the single highest power distribution within the entire frequency spectrum.

The downside can be that the music is percieved as one-notish as the 63 Hz content is over powering the other frequencies in loudness. On the other hand if you don't like the sound you could swap for an other driver as long as the bolting pattern is equaled. personally I would at least try it.

Best regards

Cubo

More
13 years 3 months ago #10986 by DICE033
Replied by DICE033 on topic Cubo 15
I def like how it sounds, I do get a LOT more output at 40hz then 63hz tho.

I still need to rhino line the box, if I leave it on the floor it tends to move around a bit :lol:

I will be building another one soon tho :)

More
13 years 3 months ago #11027 by Cubo15

I do get a LOT more output at 40hz then 63hz tho.

That's a pleasant suprise, I suppose I did guess the Sd wrong after all (or something more mysteriously is going on). Glad to hear you like the result. personally i'm using rubber feet to keep it from moving around (or scratching the paint job).

www.adamhall.com/en/Rubber_foot_ ... nsert.html

Best regards

Cubo

More
13 years 3 months ago #11033 by DICE033

Cubo15 wrote:

I do get a LOT more output at 40hz then 63hz tho.

That's a pleasant suprise, I suppose I did guess the Sd wrong after all (or something more mysteriously is going on). Glad to hear you like the result. personally i'm using rubber feet to keep it from moving around (or scratching the paint job).

www.adamhall.com/en/Rubber_foot_ ... nsert.html

Best regards

Cubo

Yeah I need to buy a meter and see what the output is. I'd like to get a bigger amp once I build the next box as I am only putting about 250 watts total to it. Its enough to shake your clothes in the room the subwoofer is in tho :)

What is your thoughts on using a Cubo12 with the Cubo15? I have 4 12 inch subwoofers that could all use a new boxes eventually.

More
13 years 3 months ago #11045 by Cubo15
Blimey, never even thought about it, untill now. I suppose it's possible using the same high pass and low pass filters. The phase response, the sensitivty from 50 - 55 Hz and up, the shape of the frequency response and the horn path length are all very similar (Cubo 15 Extended). Though some practical testing would be needed to really give a final answer. I'll add it to my to do list, though it's a pretty big pile already ;)

Best regards

Cubo

More
13 years 3 months ago #11047 by DICE033

Cubo15 wrote: Blimey, never even thought about it, untill now. I suppose it's possible using the same high pass and low pass filters. The phase response, the sensitivty from 50 - 55 Hz and up, the shape of the frequency response and the horn path length are all very similar (Cubo 15 Extended). Though some practical testing would be needed to really give a final answer. I'll add it to my to do list, though it's a pretty big pile already ;)

Best regards

Cubo

Well I have two different 12 inch subwoofer types. A pair of Rockford Fosgate XLC 12" and a pair of Rockford Fosgate P2 2ohm per voice coil. I know the P2 has a SPL of 86 but you might as throw that out the window because its a bit louder than my XLCs as I remember.

I just figured where the cubo15 I have falls short, above 63hz it'd be nice to make that up.

Well I am off to buy the truck bed liner and get this thing finished up :)

I had ZERO good wood left so the extension got made of compressed particle board. Very sturdy still :)

Edit for testing pics

The other speakers in the picture are what I used for moblie DJing, I would lay them on the floor or corner load them each time and it was absolutely amazing for each event, however if I couldnt corner load it wasnt even worth taking them. The Cubo15 is nearly as loud or as loud at certain low freq. as those 2 12s without being corner loaded :)

Time to create page: 0.300 seconds