Cubo 15

More
13 years 5 months ago #10314 by COZY PILLOW
Replied by COZY PILLOW on topic Cubo 15
I hope you haven't glued the cab together yet as it will be very difficult to drill the mounting holes for the tee nuts for whichever driver you use?

Well done so far. smiley2

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 years 5 months ago #10320 by t.geessounds
Replied by t.geessounds on topic Cubo 15
i havent put in the t-nut yet cause i dont have the drive or any 15" around but am lookin a the box an i have an angle drill so it will not be a problem to put in but thanks for the advice!!!!!!!

More
13 years 5 months ago #10328 by Cubo15
Replied by Cubo15 on topic Cubo 15

Where good when compared with the cobraPWH like f18pwh (Dynacord) using a driver 18 "

Always good to hear good news.

15LW1500
www.eighteensound.com/index.aspx ... ct&pid=205
15LW1401
www.eighteensound.com/index.aspx ... ct&pid=203
15w700
www.eighteensound.com/index.aspx ... ct&pid=208

In that order, though only the first two are in the same league.

Best regards

Cubo

More
13 years 5 months ago #10333 by EdC
Replied by EdC on topic Cubo 15
Looking for advice on using a Beyma 15LX60 I just grabbed off eBay. The specs are:

Nominal Basket Diameter 15" / 380mm
Impedance 8 ohms
AES Power Rating 700 Watts
Program Power 1,400 Watts
Frequency Response 30Hz - 1.5kHz
Sensitivity (1W/1m) 98dB
Voice Coil Diameter 4" / 100mm
Recom. Enclosure Volume 2.2-6.0 ft3 / 60-170 Liters
Voice Coil Length 23 mm
Air Gap Height 8 mm
X Damage (peak to peak) 40 mm
BL Factor 20.35 N/A
Magnetic Assembly Weight 19.84 lb. / 9 kg.

Resonant Frequency (fs) 35 Hz
Impedance (Re) 5.5 ohms
Coil Inductance (Le) 1.2 mH
Mechanical Q (Qms) 8.7
Electrical Factor (Qes) .36
Total Q (Qts) .35
Comp. Equivelant Vol. (Vas) 7.59 ft3 / 215 Liters
Voice Coil Overhang (Xmax) 9 mm
Surface Area of Cone (Sd)m2 0.091
Reference Efficiency 2.3%
Displacement Volume (Vd) 820 cm3

Would this do well in the standard Cubo 15 or better suited for the Extended version?

I am just "learning" here so thought I would start off with a driver question -- thanks!
Ed

More
13 years 5 months ago #10358 by Cubo15
The 15LX60 is a nice driver. It's kinda like the Eminence kappa 15LF on steroids. Both higher mechanical and electrical powerhandling will ensure it will play loud and survive. An excellent start (and perhaps finish) for a mobile DJ.

Best regards

Cubo

More
13 years 5 months ago #10391 by EdC
Replied by EdC on topic Cubo 15
Cubo -- Thanks for the notes -- and sending over the plans earlier....if you would entertain a few more questions:

Would you recommend the extended cabinet design for this Beyma driver?

What are the pieces at the front edge opening of the cabinet for (the 25.5 wide bottom pc & 6 wide side pcs)? are they to reinforce the cabinet for strength -- or do they play a part in the acoustics?...is there any advantage in stiffening any of the cabinet sides - does 18mm material seem good enough?

My son currently has a Mackie 406M powered mixer -- 2 amps @ 250W -- one amp for FOH & one for monitors -- would this work to drive the sub off one amp (vs. monitors)?

Any thoughts on using MDF for the cabinet? I have many sheets wasting away in the shop -- thinking I can add protection for Road Rash -- as long as sonically it is good material -- and since many speaker cabs use this...(heavy though)

I am looking forward to getting started -- just ordered the various hardware (handles, feet, corners, etc) -- thinking to use both Speakon & 1/4" jack input.

Thanks for your help!

More
13 years 5 months ago #10397 by Cubo15

Would you recommend the extended cabinet design for this Beyma driver?

I would.

What are the pieces at the front edge opening of the cabinet for (the 25.5 wide bottom pc & 6 wide side pcs)? are they to reinforce the cabinet for strength -- or do they play a part in the acoustics?...is there any advantage in stiffening any of the cabinet sides - does 18mm material seem good enough?

The functions of those pieces are two-fold: They're to reinforce the cabinet walls to minimize vibration-losses, as they minimize colouration of the sound, indirectly they part of the acoustics ;) They're also aligned to put a grill on to protect the interieur of the horn and the driver.

My son currently has a Mackie 406M powered mixer -- 2 amps @ 250W -- one amp for FOH & one for monitors -- would this work to drive the sub off one amp (vs. monitors)?

Not to sure on the abbilities of that powered mixer. I suppose you have to work with passive crossovers on this one. It's far from an ideal situation but it's a start.

Apparently the amplifier delivers 125Watt @ 8 ohm per channel so the passive crossover could be relatively light weight.

Any thoughts on using MDF for the cabinet? I have many sheets wasting away in the shop -- thinking I can add protection for Road Rash -- as long as sonically it is good material -- and since many speaker cabs use this...(heavy though)

18 mm MDF can be used. I usually make the prototypes out of 15 (for Cubo 12) or 18 mm MDF.

Best regards

Cubo

More
13 years 5 months ago #10400 by t.geessounds
Replied by t.geessounds on topic Cubo 15
i cubo 15 is finish just waiting for the speakers ...they ill be loded with the 18sound 15LW1401

More
13 years 5 months ago #10410 by COZY PILLOW
Replied by COZY PILLOW on topic Cubo 15
nice job smiley20

More
13 years 5 months ago #10422 by Cubo15
Nice build and driver choice!

Best regards

Cubo

Time to create page: 0.293 seconds