heart Cubo 15

13 years 6 months ago #9299 by nrpinc
Replied by nrpinc on topic Cubo 15
This was from Cubo a few months back regarding the Lab15
Hi Nate,

The Lab15 is an un-usual driver, thus I've no experience which such driver in practice. The best option would be to use Cubo 15 Extended.
Simulations with the Lab15 indicate that it's perhaps even more in place with an "extended" Extended Cubo 15, meaning the horn is made another 12 inches longer at a constant 555cm^2 area. If you're interested in buidling such a device I can send an picture to clarify this.

Best regards

Cubo15

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

13 years 6 months ago #9300 by stevep409
Replied by stevep409 on topic Cubo 15
Thanks Nate. I'm impressed with the sound of these boxes. I'll be looking for your pics. Have fun.. I know I had a blast building these.

Steve

13 years 6 months ago #9305 by JohnnyPyro
Replied by JohnnyPyro on topic Cubo 15
Thanks Nate, i didnt think it would be suited but had to ask the Q

13 years 6 months ago #9306 by nrpinc
Replied by nrpinc on topic Cubo 15
No problem, glad I could help.

13 years 6 months ago #9470 by rob.parkinson
Replied by rob.parkinson on topic Cubo 15
hi guys, as iv mentioned in earlyer posts im building a pair of these with emminance dleta 15 lfs. There 500w and i was wondering what kind of aplification people might recomend. Im on a budget and was looking at a beringer eurotrack epq2000. (or somename like that) any thorts?

13 years 6 months ago #9471 by nickyburnell
Replied by nickyburnell on topic Cubo 15
Well your drivers will be 8ohms, so you need an amp that can do 500w or more at 8r. I really do think you'll replace the deltas later, so maybe need more power.

I would go for www.thomann.de/gb/t-amp_ta2400.htm
Plenty for now, much for later. Three years warranty as well.

You COULD use both the Deltas off one side and your mid tops off the other with a nice cheap crossover.

If you fancy s/h then look for a Matrix STR2000/UKP2100

13 years 6 months ago #9472 by Xoc1
Replied by Xoc1 on topic Cubo 15
Rob
The Delta 15lf has a small x-max at 4.8mm but is Xmech is surprisingly large at 16.5mm
So it would probably take a fair amount of power before the driver is damaged.
I would say that the Behringer Ep4000 is a far better amplifier than the Ep2000, and would deliver 550W per driver compared with 350W for the Ep2000.
It is important to use a decent hi-pass filter to avoid bottoming out the driver with sub-bass. In fact the sub-bass filter is probably more important than the actual amount of power that your amplifier can deliver.

I did a quick sim on diaphragm displacement for the delta LF.
This shows the speaker driven at 120w and reaching x max at 70hz note how the displacement increases below 40hz. Driven with 550w the displacement at 70hz is still below x-mech but the speaker needs a hi-pass filter to stop excessive displacement below 40hz
Attachments:

13 years 6 months ago #9473 by rob.parkinson
Replied by rob.parkinson on topic Cubo 15
cheers for the replies guys but let me make sure i understand correctly.
the active crossover that i will be using as a high pass filer at 25Hz but if i understand your simulation then even that will not prevent my speakers from blowing up if powered much beyond 300W.
????
i must say im a little confused. i had assumed that a 500W speaker should be powered by a 500W amp, excuse my if that seems a novice statement but really im a bit lost

13 years 6 months ago #9474 by musa
Replied by musa on topic Cubo 15
Hai cubo, and all bass lover.
I m from Malaysia. and I do a lot of DIY work. Can you please send me the plans for the cubo 15? it's exactly what i need in terms of portability.Many search on google but cannot have surely link.Sorry my bad english.Hope you sent me a cutsheet detail plans.Sent to: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
Thnk,

13 years 6 months ago #9475 by nickyburnell
Replied by nickyburnell on topic Cubo 15

rob.parkinson wrote: cheers for the replies guys but let me make sure i understand correctly.
the active crossover that i will be using as a high pass filer at 25Hz but if i understand your simulation then even that will not prevent my speakers from blowing up if powered much beyond 300W.
????
i must say im a little confused. i had assumed that a 500W speaker should be powered by a 500W amp, excuse my if that seems a novice statement but really im a bit lost

Firstly the Berry 4000 amp, thats cool for you too.
Secondly, 25hz HPF, this is probably the limitation of your crossover??
You have chosen a very cheap driver so will have to compromise somewhere, you need to HPF at 38/40.
Best investment for you right now is a Behringer DCX2496. You will keep this forever.

500w driver and an amp of more than 500w maybe OK in a reflex designed as such, you are using it in a tougher enviroment.