Cubo 18

More
4 years 2 months ago #24502 by songatron
Replied by songatron on topic Cubo 18
Great! Thank you as always!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
3 years 11 months ago #24594 by hectorberman
Replied by hectorberman on topic Cubo 18
Hello Mr Cubo

I have a pair of Fane KC18-300C sat here and was wondering if they would perform best in the cubo 18 or extended version.
They are not very powerful drivers and I feel a  design like this is required to get the most out of them.
In the es-18 they sim ok down to around 55hz but I was hoping something like 40hz could be achieved. What do you think? 

Many thanks for your many contributions, Hector.

More
3 years 11 months ago #24596 by Cubo15
Replied by Cubo15 on topic Cubo 18
Hi Hector,

The KC18-300C has a high Vas and medium Qes making it less suitable for small closed chambers, which explains the limited low end extension in the ES-18. 

Qts x Vas > 120, Cubo Standard
Qts x Vas = 100 - 120, Cubo Extended or Standard
Qts x Vas < 100, Cubo Extended

It's Qts x Vas product is near 170 making it a clear contender for Cubo 18 Standard. This 40 Hz should definitely be achievable, due to it's low Xmax of 5 mm, at high medium power levels a 40 Hz high pass is recommended.

Best regards Cubo

More
3 years 8 months ago #24647 by Djspinback69
Replied by Djspinback69 on topic Cubo 18
Hi Mate,

How’s it going. Hope you don’t mind asking a couple questions about the Cubo18

I currently have a pair of reflex subs loaded with fane18xs the enclosure is the one on the fane website. I need some more bass although they sound really nice.

I’d like to build some Cubo 18’s, I was going to build 1 test cab out of mdf first that I’d like to put 1 of the fane 18xs drivers in to see how they sound a/b and together with my cabs. Is the fane 18xs a suitable driver for the cubo 18? If it all sounds good I’m thinking of running a pair alongside my original cabs

Then I’ll prob build 2 proper ones out of birch ply. I’m looking around for suitable drivers, people seem to favour the pd1850 but I’m worried they look quite heavy and expensive. 

What do you think to the RCF LF18N401? It looks like it could be ok + nice and light for gigging.

I’m pretty flexible as you can most things from blue Aran but it wants to be nice and loud, sound good not be too expensive and preferably fairly light.

Thanks for any advice you can give me in advance

Robin

More
3 years 8 months ago #24649 by Nugget
Replied by Nugget on topic Cubo 18
Funnily i have a measurement with LF18N401 vs Colossus Prime 18XS in Cubo 15 extended (with larger driver cutout). If you send me your eMail adress via PN, i will send you the graphs.

More
3 years 8 months ago #24651 by Cubo15
Djspinback69 Well, I wasn't going to show the measurements but was pretty much going to answer based on those measurements.

Nugget How did you like the sound of your 'Cubo 18's' compared to the reflex?

Cubo

More
3 years 8 months ago #24652 by Djspinback69
Hi Cubo

i don’t really need the measurements. Only some guidance on whether the fane 18xs or RCF drivers will work well?

i also note that Nugget fitted them in a Cubo 15 Ext with bigger cuttout. Any reason why? I ask because I’ve just built one to test with some 15 inch drivers I have here. 

not sure of their history but they’re Void V15-700n I think?? They’re out of something like a 2 x 15” arc line of something. I’m not really sure and can’t find the cab on Google any more

More
3 years 8 months ago #24653 by Djspinback69

Cubo15 wrote: Djspinback69 Well, I wasn't going to show the measurements but was pretty much going to answer based on those measurements.

Nugget How did you like the sound of your 'Cubo 18's' compared to the reflex?

Cubo

I am a bit confused by your reply Cubo, I haven’t asked for any measurements only guidance with driver choice

More
3 years 8 months ago #24654 by Cubo15
I've had some great reviews from people using drivers like the LF18N401, it does give a bit smoother response than the Prime and a slowly rising response. Lower efficiency drivers like the Prime really need some power to get loose in my experience. The extra Xmax of the Prime does allow a bit of EQ, typically in the 40 - 65 Hz region.

IIRC Nugget did first build a Cubo 15 Extended and based on simulation Cubo 18 only drops 3 Hz lower then Cubo 15, he's not the first to convert a Cubo 15 to Cubo 18 that way.

AFAIK Void only released 2 or 3 drivers for the DIY-community, all their other drivers are strictly for their own cabinets, it's unlikely you'll find T/S-parameters for them. That makes it hard to say how they'll perform in Cubo 15, although they will have to be pretty weird not to work and considering we're talking Void Acoustics here I'm pretty sure they'll be quality drivers.

Cubo

More
3 years 8 months ago #24657 by Djspinback69
That’s great, thanks for taking the time to reply to me. It’s very much appreciated. That’s pretty much what I was thinking. I’ve attached a pic of the void driver screwed into my mdf test cab. Can’t tell you much about it other than it looks like a neo driver, the cone looks very stiff and it looks like it means business and I’m sure it’s 700W will be an interesting experiment. I’ve just bought a measurement mic and a interface for my MacBook so if I can work out how I’ll take some readings??
other than that I think I’ll order an RCF driver and A/B them all 
Attachments:

Time to create page: 0.332 seconds