Cubo 15

More
7 years 9 months ago #23422 by anjmoor
Replied by anjmoor on topic Cubo 15
Not sure I would have carpeted so far into the horn

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
7 years 9 months ago #23427 by Cubo15
Replied by Cubo15 on topic Cubo 15
It could be a bunch of things not sure which, as there's a bunch of things I don't know at the moment. Have you used bolts and t-nuts to secure the driver and is it locked in place very ... very solid? Any leak, however small, needs to go.

I would increase the low pass, if possible to 4th order 40 Hz. The current 30 Hz - 40 Hz present does sound low but eats up output higher up, where you want it. If I need maximum output above all, I increase the high pass to 50 Hz.

Inverting the driver might help a bit, as this focuses less on low frequency output,though it likes a higher high pass as well.

Now that Mms is just plain low, there's many (same frequency range) 12" being much heavier. There's even some 10" ones that are heavier. To support that heavier cone, magnets beef up quickly, as do costs. So that it doesn't perform astonishingly, is to be expected.

There's more things but perhaps you could tell me more about your setup, crossover, construction, etc.

Carpet inside the horn it's going to reduce (harmonic) distortion, which makes it sound lower. As a rule of thumb, the only thing moving in a loudspeaker cabinet should be the driver membrane, so I hope you used lots of glue ;)

Apart from that I like the carpet job, definitely some craftsmanship there!

Best regards

Cubo

More
7 years 9 months ago - 7 years 9 months ago #23429 by panos19
Replied by panos19 on topic Cubo 15
i drive it with a crest cpx 1500 amp..it's rated at 350 watts rms at 8 ohms...
now i use 40hz cut...
my amp has a 40hz cut feature...
i inverted the driver...now it plays a litle bit louder and it has more kick....
the box is very solid...
i used bolts and wood glue...
i don't have 50hz cut feature...so i can't try and tell you the results...
i think to try brige the amplifier...
it will outpout about 1000-1100 watts at 8 ohms load and see how the sub will perform...
of course not with full power....
it's the first time i carpet a speaker...until now i was painting them...
Last edit: 7 years 9 months ago by panos19.

More
7 years 9 months ago #23430 by asdf
Replied by asdf on topic Cubo 15
Hi I have been using 4 15 inch cubos as bass with eminence kappa pro 15Lf-2's in and after contacting my supplier for replacement drivers due to drink damage and having sent out what they thought was the same driver ( I received Eminence kappa 15LFA's) turns out it isnt and i need a more suited bass driver that is still in production as they have said they don't make the Lf-2 anymore and the LFA is a kick driver... Is there any other suited drivers that are around similar quality as the LF-2? I was more than happy with them as drivers until they got damaged :(

More
7 years 9 months ago #23431 by Cubo15
@panos19: I don't think that giving the driver more power then it already has, is going to be a long term solution. Giving that power to a driver designed to handle that sort of power, could easily produce twice the output that you're getting now (+ 5 to 7 dB). Till then you could play around with the placement of the cabinet, against walls and in corners, to maximize the output. Sometimes a meter to the left or right can make a significant difference.

@asdf: I'm assuming you're using Cubo 15 Extended. So a few drivers suited, in random order:

Fane 15XB, 15XBN
PD 15BR40
Eminence Kilomax Pro 15A
B&C 15PS100
BMS 15S330
Faital Pro 15FH510

Prices can vary quite a bit with your exact location and where you buy it, so some drivers might be out of your intended price range. Generally I would favour a 4" VC over a 3" VC.

Best regards

Cubo

More
7 years 9 months ago #23451 by Elvantoro
Replied by Elvantoro on topic Cubo 15
Hello,
very cool housing you planned.
I want to build essential. But I am not sure which best suits my sub version.

My sub is the "MPA SWA 15100 C8"
www.mivoc.com/gs/product_info.php?info=p...pa-swa-15100-c8.html

Would be nice if you could help me the choice of cubo15 housing.

I also have an active module which I could obstruct. www.lautsprecherforum.eu/viewtopic.php?f=44&t=5427

But I am not sure whether the performance is sufficient.
If not I would use an amplifier.

Greetings Niko

More
7 years 8 months ago #23460 by Cubo15
The driver is very nice, what I can see from the voice coil height, I suspect it's capable of more than 5,5 mm excursion (Xmax), meaning with a sufficient high pass, it could take around 700 W continously.
I couldn't see the spec sheet on the forum (as far as I could translate because I wasn't logged in) but what I gathered was that it is 2 x 220 W @ 4 Ohm, meaning you could bridged it as a single 440 W @ 8 Ohm, which would be a decent start, though ultimately the SWA 15100 could take a bit more.

Best regards

Cubo

More
7 years 8 months ago - 7 years 8 months ago #23477 by ali4994
Replied by ali4994 on topic Cubo 15
Sorry for another hypothetical, but how would you suggest a Fane Sovereign 500 driver would fare in this cab? I've tried my hand at sims but I've not got a competent grasp of them. Thanks!
Last edit: 7 years 8 months ago by ali4994. Reason: Misread plan page/I'm daft

More
7 years 8 months ago #23484 by Cubo15
The Fane Sovereign 500 is a good driver, it's a bit short on Xmax, if it had a bit more Xmax and a 4" VC it would be a great driver. As long as you power it with around 500 W and a decent 40 Hz high pass it should be all right.

Best regards

Cubo

More
7 years 8 months ago #23498 by ali4994
Replied by ali4994 on topic Cubo 15
Thank you for the feedback. Would you deem it detrimental to the well-being of the driver to put more than 500w through it, given the slightly lacking xmax?

Time to create page: 0.543 seconds