heart MTH-30

13 years 3 months ago #10635 by lazyman
Replied by lazyman on topic MTH-30
I have finished test build of this box.

More info here:

www.mymagicsound.com/my-mth-30-build/

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

13 years 3 months ago #10636 by nrpinc
Replied by nrpinc on topic MTH-30
My advice. When you do another build stay away from chip board.

13 years 3 months ago #10640 by lazyman

nrpinc wrote: My advice. When you do another build stay away from chip board.

Yes. I have had some on hand, but now know all reasons why to avoid this junk. smiley4

Next build will be with proper plywood, catted precisely with table saw, joined with biscuits, and finally properly routed.

13 years 3 months ago #10641 by lazyman
Ok, sims for friends :)

monomer wrote: Eminence Definimax 4012HO 12" Driver:

[attachment=1:2ieu46dj]<!-- ia1 -->4012ho.jpg<!-- ia1 -->[/attachment:2ieu46dj]
Spl chart

[attachment=0:2ieu46dj]<!-- ia0 -->4012ho-disp-300w.jpg<!-- ia0 -->[/attachment:2ieu46dj]
Displacement at 300w
Attachments:

13 years 3 months ago #10642 by lazyman

sine143 wrote: If someone is thinking about modeling the 4012, would they mind modelling the Delta 12 lf as well? I have 2 on hand, and although I love them in my T30s, I just built some T48s, and I want a nice small box to throw the d12lfs in.

i would say no too suitable:

[attachment=1:3ole7x3o]<!-- ia1 -->delta12lf.jpg<!-- ia1 -->[/attachment:3ole7x3o]
Not too flat

[attachment=0:3ole7x3o]<!-- ia0 -->delta12lf-displacement-100w.jpg<!-- ia0 -->[/attachment:3ole7x3o]
Very low displacement limited power
Attachments:

13 years 2 months ago #11007 by keyvin
Replied by keyvin on topic MTH-30
Hi fellow bass builders,

After a few months of testing and gigging with 2 MTH30 cabs, I decided to build 4. Two of them are active, supplied with 2channel Hypex plate amps. For the tops I use DB F12 cabs.

During testing I compared the 2 mth30 to one EAW600 (215) of a friend. The eaw has rounder (basreflex) lows and throws omni, the MTH30 have a strict cardoid-like pattern, and they have more output on axis, certainly 10m distance. I'd say up to 20meters you have usable coverage in my opinion. I tested them on a bridged Crown K2 (2400w), but felt like that amp (compared to the hypex plates) has such an enormous 40hz output, even with processing it shakes the woofers up to xmax way easier than the hypex do (at 'same' volume off course). As these cabs are not really made to provide hefty 40hz, I decided not to stress 'm that much, the Hypex amps do a good job at that.

Most gigs I play (piano and vocs) and provide sound are quite small (1piano and 1guitar round 100people), but sometimes gigs turn out (arriving at the place) to be outside for 600people (in setting with drummer and sometimes a bass player). So I needed a system that's easily transportable and provides output for those occasions. In my previous setup I blew up my woofers three times over... smiley21
For the small gigs I'm happy to work without a heavy amp rack and have extra mains power output on the back of the subs.

I haven't had the chance to hear the new system outside with drums, but judging the output while playing CD's I think it'll work fine. They still need grills tho... smiley1
Attachments:

13 years 2 months ago #11008 by nickyburnell
Replied by nickyburnell on topic MTH-30
Nice work smiley20

13 years 2 months ago #11009 by GekoMusic94
Replied by GekoMusic94 on topic MTH-30
Nice! I love my MTH-30!

13 years 2 months ago #11010 by Cudds
Replied by Cudds on topic MTH-30
here's a few i knocked up before xmas... they have proven to be pretty good bins for drum and bass. love how portable they are.

i'm liking the use of the active module in the above post. are these available in the uk? the mth30 is so light that it could stand to have the extra weight of the module built in, doing away with amp rack, making them even more portable. that way one could fit everything for a little dj gig into the back of an estate. 4xmth, 2xtops, cdj coffin, poles, cables etc, maybe even a few lights!

13 years 2 months ago #11014 by keyvin
Replied by keyvin on topic MTH-30
Hi cudds, great job on your cabs! Did you use four clamps to secure the grill? No shaking?

The hypex amps should be available in the UK too, I believe their webshop sends internationally. They are very lightweight BTW. I built them into the wheelplates.

From my experience these cabs work best in larger environments, in small pubs I've had some strange issues with lots of bass on stage, without really developing elsewhere (there it just felt like pressure, but not really like bass). That was with two cabs, 4 should give more. Caused by the horn effect? Is this familiar to anyone?