1x18 Horn

More
15 years 8 months ago #3318 by levyte357
Replied by levyte357 on topic 1x18 Horn

toastyghost wrote: If there's no contact with the driver it won't really help much, air contact isn't great at conducting heat.

Not including heatsink fins, isnt this a similiar setup to labs?

Dont think the lab driver is touching alu pane, but it probably is much closer.

AB36 design include alu panel, so I'm presuming it would help somewhat?

\"When in Vegas, do as the vegasians do\".

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 years 8 months ago #3319 by deadbeat
Replied by deadbeat on topic 1x18 Horn
I just got in touch with a marketer and hobbyist who did a bit of research on the CV cabs, he's very efficient.

'The Aluminium removable panel is purely marketing, they are all the same horn yet Cerwin-Vega charge more for ribbed aluminium in higher end models'

AFAIK, labs have tiny rear chambers and the alu panels are very close to the driver.
Still, with a big magnet woofer the panel may be close enough to make a difference, though I doubt it. Wayne Parham came up with a mod that made a little extension to touch the pole piece with alu pipe but many aren't convinced (heat in VC...). To the lab of course.

Simon, mykey uses your paras to do the WSX thing, I don't think he can post the Brute 45 paras for obvious reasons. The port being more efficient than the horn is amusing.

Beranek\'s law
\'bits of ply round a driver\'

More
15 years 8 months ago #3320 by levyte357
Replied by levyte357 on topic 1x18 Horn

Deadbeat wrote: Still, with a big magnet woofer the panel may be close enough to make a difference, though I doubt it.

Well, playing music with "high sub content" will result in Voice coil/air in rear chamber getting hot and causing compression.

So I would prefer the possibility of some heat conduction out of the chamber, than none at all.

Maybe even more beneficial to alter the shape of the chamber such that the rear of the driver magnet is as close as possible to the alu panel.

\"When in Vegas, do as the vegasians do\".

More
15 years 8 months ago #3321 by deadbeat
Replied by deadbeat on topic 1x18 Horn
I was thinking of making some protrusions on the inside of the chamber. In aluminum of course. Altering the rear chamber shape might be a bit much when regarding the other end of the horn flare's expansion. We don't see this (the alu plates) in many other 18" bass horns, so I'm not exactly convinced of whether it is worth the effort. But worth a try in any case, you never know.

Beranek\'s law
\'bits of ply round a driver\'

More
15 years 8 months ago #3323 by toastyghost
Replied by toastyghost on topic 1x18 Horn
If it didn't look like such a bloody chore to do so, I might be more inclined to pull of the heatsinks on my Stasys and see how Rog has done it.

More
15 years 8 months ago #3324 by mykey
Replied by mykey on topic 1x18 Horn

levyte357 wrote:

Deadbeat wrote: Still, with a big magnet woofer the panel may be close enough to make a difference, though I doubt it.

Well, playing music with "high sub content" will result in Voice coil/air in rear chamber getting hot and causing compression.

So I would prefer the possibility of some heat conduction out of the chamber, than none at all.

Maybe even more beneficial to alter the shape of the chamber such that the rear of the driver magnet is as close as possible to the alu panel.

chamber with a nice big port in it, driver won't get hot

Lev, i wish you would stop WISHING that by just putting different drivers in cabs you will hope for mirracles

Vega bins have had their day mate

Anyone got any ply?

More
15 years 8 months ago #3325 by mykey

toastyghost wrote: If it didn't look like such a bloody chore to do so, I might be more inclined to pull of the heatsinks on my Stasys and see how Rog has done it.

it's simple, just get a piece of alloy machined to fit snug around the magnet thats attached to the heatsink

it's not rocket science

Anyone got any ply?

More
15 years 8 months ago #3326 by mykey

simonr wrote: Got some parameters to go with it?.

No! but I can give you a pram to push it around inEdited by: mykey

Anyone got any ply?

More
15 years 8 months ago #3345 by minaximal
Replied by minaximal on topic 1x18 Horn

levyte357 wrote: <div></div>
<div>So I would prefer the possibility of some heat conduction out of the chamber, than none at all.</div>
<div></div>
<div>Maybe even more beneficial to alter the shape of the chamber such that the rear of the driver magnet is as close as possible to the alu panel.</div>

theres still no point if like the lab when you stack the cabs, all the panels are either on the floor and under upper bass bins, or flush against each other.. where does everyone think the heat will escape to? your more likely to hit xmax than thermal limit with modern glues.

still minaximal

More
15 years 8 months ago #3350 by josh
Replied by josh on topic 1x18 Horn

minaximal wrote:

levyte357 wrote:

theres still no point if like the lab when you stack the cabs, all the panels are either on the floor and under upper bass bins, or flush against each other.. where does everyone think the heat will escape to? your more likely to hit xmax than thermal limit with modern glues.

That is a good point! never thought about that, why bother getting the alluminum panels for the labs!?!

Time to create page: 0.237 seconds