1x18 Horn

More
15 years 10 months ago #1798 by toastyghost
Replied by toastyghost on topic 1x18 Horn

simonr wrote: <div>I swore (hundreds of times!) then, that there had to be aeasier way of making a horn, Due to the complexity of build, and the almost impossible task of fitting the driver!. Never again!.

Flip the box upside down next time, makes it much easier [img]smileys/smiley36.gif[/img]

Edit: Are you basing the response of the box as being lower and louder than an 1850 horn from a model and subjective listening only? It may be worth getting a measurement done just to verify there isn't some psychoacoustical business going on.
</div>Edited by: toastyghost

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• simonr
  • Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
More
15 years 10 months ago #1799 by simonr
Replied by simonr on topic 1x18 Horn
toastyghost, comparison was made using same amp, same output level, just swapping output lead over from cab to cab. Mic and oscilloscope connected, set at 1 meter from mouth of horn at centre point.

More
15 years 10 months ago #1807 by tommysb
Replied by tommysb on topic 1x18 Horn
You might have different impedance of the horns, so although the voltage going to each will be the same, the power MAY not be. Worth checking.

More
15 years 10 months ago #1814 by sks01
Replied by sks01 on topic 1x18 Horn
as has been said though the 1850 horn doesnt go massivley low and wasnt realy intended to, their are many other designs out their, though after 6 months of working thats proberably not what you want to hear, pics, full T/S specs of driver and a cup of tea?

@tommysb are you thinking difference innominal driver impideance may be different? surley thats a schoolboy error for 1w1m calculations

do it for the love of the music

• simonr
  • Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
More
15 years 10 months ago #1815 by simonr
1 watt 8 ohms (2.83 volts.)

More
15 years 10 months ago #1816 by deadbeat
Replied by deadbeat on topic 1x18 Horn
I think simon realises that his design isn't in the same category, judging from the kick horn he built for it. However, a more interesting comparison would be between this horn and a 1x18" horn made to go under a similar kick bin (the WSX was the one that I thought of earlier, but there are a fair few others.). I think it's main strength lies in the fact that it is quite simple to build.

This horn actually reminds me strongly of a cross between a Turbo 118 (the straight panels), and the folding of all ASS bass bins. However, one thing that would fit quite nicely with this design would be one of these:

No, not the cab in itself, but the teardrop style panel over the front of the driver. This panel evens out cone stress on the driver. I remember someone who used a horn with a much more pronounced angle on that panel for some cabs he'd designed, and after a few months of heavy use one part of the cone was visibly sagging. i've said this before in this thread but not in enough detail: The Martin Letterbox throat would also help and be simpler - instead of making the part of the driver with the most distance from the opposite panel face a similar panel in the teardrop shaped cutout, the driver fires through a slot which minimises the difference between the distance from the opposite panel. Sure, it looks like it would rip a driver to shreds, but given enough clearance it works wonders, really.

Edited by: Deadbeat

Beranek\'s law
\'bits of ply round a driver\'

• simonr
  • Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
More
15 years 10 months ago #1817 by simonr
Hi guys, to end all speculation, if anyone out there would be kind enough to give me a succinctguide for posting plots from Hornresp I would. Been waiting a while for Adambomb to get back to me about it but no-one's home. Any suggestions?

More
15 years 10 months ago #1818 by sks01
zipall relavant screenshotsanall and put it on a file server then post a link? (should save some forum space too)

• simonr
  • Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
More
15 years 10 months ago #1819 by simonr
Reason for the kick horn design was that if the sub is flopping around doing it's thing at 40 -90hz- ish, superimposing kick on top makes for a muddy sound. No dynamics.

More
15 years 10 months ago #1820 by sks01
thier are a few all in one bass boxes that i would contest have a lot of dynamics doing just that, however being a fan of 2 way bass i wont contest that point too much, i think though most audiophiles whould contest fewer boxes/ crossovers the better for absolute sound quality though you get the problems of lower spl when trying to acheive this so its just not practical in designing highoutput cabs.

Time to create page: 0.332 seconds