1x18 Horn

More
15 years 10 months ago #1822 by deadbeat
Replied by deadbeat on topic 1x18 Horn
@simonr

I'm pretty sure that's what I said - the design is not in the same category because it's meant to be used under kick bins as part of a two-way bass solution, unlike the 1850 and 186. In fact, i think one or two setups actually use the 1850 as a kick bin, with very deep subs.

By the way, have you heard/tested the 1850 in a stack of 4, with coupled horn mouths? To steal Rog's analogy, the 1850 horn is like a 4-cylinder engine. If you put in two, or even three, it won't show it's real power...

@sks01

I would agree with that. Some audiophiles just can't get away from their crazy Jordan/Lowther/Fostex drivers in horns/TLs/random stuff, played at an astounding 2 watts from SET amps that cost over $1000. Then again, I'm just like that because I used to have the JBL Studio monitor series stuff for Hi-Fi use. But those designs loaded with the right woofers, augmented with subs, and having a few more watts pushed through them makes for very pleasant listening.

Edited by: Deadbeat

Beranek\'s law
\'bits of ply round a driver\'

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• simonr
  • Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
More
15 years 10 months ago #1824 by simonr
Replied by simonr on topic 1x18 Horn
Sorry guys I'm an absolute dummy as far as screen shots fileservers etc, are concerned, never having the need to use them, until now. It's a bit frustrating sitting here without the wherewithall to get information posted. If anyone out there is able to plot the response of this horn given the parameters listed further back in the thread, and do a conparison between this horn, a wsx and an 1850 with whatever driver they wish, I would be extremely grateful.

• simonr
  • Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
More
15 years 10 months ago #1832 by simonr
A few people have been galvanised into action already, but I do have a word of warning about the reference I made to a T1 1800 horn with throat at 800, and mouth at 3000 odd. Although the response is nice and flat in half space and around 135 or 136db for 700 - 800 watts, there are possibly only two drivers that would survive the suck-out imposed onto the diaphragm when driven at high levels. If you are plannimg on using anything but an 1850 orVoid V1000 be absolutely sure it is capable of xmaxexcursions of +/- 10mm or more!. It looks good on paper, but if a lesser driver were used, the power would have to be limited to 500 watts or less to give the driver any headroom, andnot be totally destroyed. Happy building!.

More
15 years 10 months ago #1833 by tommysb
Replied by tommysb on topic 1x18 Horn
Hi, not nominal DC driver impedance, but frequency dependent impedance of the whole system. It's actually a very minor point I don't think it will make difference.

More
15 years 10 months ago #1835 by deadbeat
I personally use sims as guidelines only to whether something works. Akabak and LEAP are about as close as it gets to reality. My computer is out of action at the moment (I'm using a Nintendo DS at the moment), so I'll be grateful if someone posts hornresp comparisons as well.

EDIT: Satisfied. [img]smileys/smiley17.gif[/img]
Edited by: Deadbeat

Beranek\'s law

• simonr
  • Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
More
15 years 10 months ago #1876 by simonr
Firstly, I must apologise for a previous post regarding some comparisons with the wsx. I thought that there was something wrong, and I was right!.
The plots etc. for comparison were compiled usingone of the olderversions ofHornresp before the 17.xxrevisionswith thelower frequency enhancements.
Secondly, the models for the horn thatwere used looked off, so I checked with the plans.
The model is so far off that you might as well throw it away and pick some figures out of the air and use them!. That will teach me to be lazy and use other peoples data before verifying things!. SoI'm creating my own model for future reference, and then do some more realistic comparisons.

More
15 years 10 months ago #2063 by deadbeat
Any more news on this eh? It's a wednesday.

Beranek\'s law

More
15 years 9 months ago #2717 by sks01
Replied by sks01 on topic 1x18 Horn
any more for any more on this lot?

do it for the love of the music

More
15 years 9 months ago #2988 by deadbeat

sKs01 wrote: any more for any more on this lot?

Gentlemen,

I'm afraid Simon has been absent or a while.
I hope he doesn't mind myself regenerating interest in his design.

Since his other cabs use Celestions</font>, they are where one would start searching for information pertaining the driver itself. I'm sure a few people won't be too surprised by this.

The driver is a Celestion 4080HDX</font>, and if you wouldn't mind me saying so, it is a splendid piece of kit and should be well appreciated by the gentlemen on this forum.

Simon had good reason to not reveal the driver, but it is null now.

I bid you good day.

Beranek\'s law

More
15 years 9 months ago #2990 by sks01
Replied by sks01 on topic 1x18 Horn
well put deadbeat, i think we can all sleep easy now [img]smileys/smiley36.gif[/img]

do it for the love of the music

Time to create page: 0.205 seconds