file 1x18 Horn

15 years 9 months ago #1385 by simonr
1x18 Horn was created by simonr
Just built and tested a single 18 horn with a new driver on the market, with what I feel is unprecedented success. I found the driver by accident and couldn't believe the results I obtained at design stage so had to make it!. Tested against an 1850 horn loaded with Void V1000. Better SPL at lower power input levels. Good sound andlower bottom end. 40 hz.
I'll get some pics uploaded whenI can. The cost of the driver is less than half the Void, and after hammering the driver for a few weeks with peak levels above +/- 140 volts, (oscilloscope on amp leads) I can say the driver is reasonably rugged. I haven't mentioned the driver manufacturer yet, since I know everyone will have a very good laugh, but I think this goes to prove you can always find one rose in a manure heap if you look long enough and don't mind the smell!.The cabinet takes less than 2 sheets of ply to make, and the driver is far lighter than the void. Cost of components including driver, handles, speakons etc. would be in the region of £230-00p per cabinet, and 2 people can comfortably liftit!.
Size is slightly larger than 1850at 1075x750x636with the mouth at the top end, if compared to the 1850. More details to come when time and patience is available.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

15 years 9 months ago #1393 by static age
Replied by static age on topic 1x18 Horn
sounds fantastic, more info & pics please

I woke up. The pain and sickness all over me like an animal. Then I realized what it was. The music coming up from the floor was our old friend, Ludwig Van, and the dreaded Ninth Symphony.

15 years 9 months ago #1395 by wafflesomd
Replied by wafflesomd on topic 1x18 Horn
Pics and driver name now!

15 years 9 months ago #1396 by deadbeat
Replied by deadbeat on topic 1x18 Horn
Its not another celestion, is it?[img]smileys/smiley1.gif[/img]

Beranek\'s law
\'bits of ply round a driver\'

15 years 9 months ago #1399 by simonr
Replied by simonr on topic 1x18 Horn
have you got anything against celestion Deadbeat?

15 years 9 months ago #1400 by deadbeat
[img]smileys/smiley36.gif[/img] Of course not! I use mostly celestion and P Audio actually (yeah, i'm cheap). They certainly are good value for money, and i've only ever had to recone one, when some idiot played around with a signal generator and a prototype design. I was just guessing the speaker make based on the other horn's speaker. Looking forward to the pics and plots and plans.
Edited by: Deadbeat

Beranek\'s law

15 years 9 months ago #1403 by simonr
Funny, I've blown a few in my time with a sig-genset to the wrong frequency, not supposed to put 0.1 hz into drivers from a 1000 watt amp!. BBQ anyone? (HDX variety)

15 years 9 months ago #1405 by deadbeat
idiot: 'Hey, that speaker looks like it can go low. Ever heard of the brown note?'

Me: 'It's a prototype I built earlier and can't go as low as 4hz, which is where the brown note is commonly...No! Don't touch that! @%^#%!!!'

Idiot: ' I'm sorry.'

*Speaker and my head gently fume.

It was one of those BX series ones as well...can't get them anymore...[img]smileys/smiley19.gif[/img][img]smileys/smiley19.gif[/img][img]smileys/smiley19.gif[/img][img]smileys/smiley7.gif[/img]

Beranek\'s law

15 years 9 months ago #1500 by simonr
just testing picture upload!

15 years 9 months ago #1503 by simonr
Here are some more pics:

Access Panel

Maximum excursion probe

View into throat chamber

Driver mounted flush into recessed baffle

going round the bend

Size comparison against 1850 horn.