Cubo Kick 15

More
7 years 11 months ago #23375 by kr1sounds
Replied by kr1sounds on topic Cubo Kick 15
can someone email the cubo 12/15 kick plans to me please? they wont view on my laptop for some reason... fostonshfs@hotmail.com

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Cubo15
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
7 years 11 months ago #23377 by Cubo15
Replied by Cubo15 on topic Cubo Kick 15
Done ;)

Best regards

Cubo

More
7 years 11 months ago #23385 by Ganon
Replied by Ganon on topic Cubo Kick 15
We build a Cubo kick last year for the Roskilde Festival, to go with our two Cubo 15 with.
Fane 15-400 in the cubo and eminence kappa pro 15lf in the kick.
it sounds extremly good!
We power the Cubo 15's parallel down to 4 ohm, through a Mono Pioneer digital amp, so they are feeded between 150 to 300 watts, cant remember what it gets for sure.
The Kick is powered by a pioneer gm-d8604 on a bridge channel, so it's feeded 150 watt.

Now the Thing is, i am looking for a 4 ohm unit for the kick, if it's possible, i have found the Eminence kappa 15c, but the ebp is 98, is that to low?
or is there any other suggestions?

Thank you for such an awesome cabinet!

More
7 years 10 months ago #23388 by jo bg
Replied by jo bg on topic Cubo Kick 15
hi
so we built a couple cubo kick 15 medium-large :) at 62cm deep x 62 tall x 57.1 wide to fit the rest of the system, which consist of a couple xoc1 th18s and 2 mt121s, and gave the whole system a first run.
We loaded them with 18sound 15 nd930 and gave them a channel each of a lab fp10000q, that's about 1300 watt@8ohm, though we didn't push it hard.
The system crossover, eq and delays were set up quickly by hear/guess due to time restrictions, using a dcx2496 and crossing subs at 28 - 90 hz, cubo kicks 90 - 172 mt 12" 172 - 1200 1.4" CD 1200-18k, all LR24.
It already sounded good, making everybody happy playing reggae and dancehall six hours straight, but i suspect i've got some phase issues to solve; i have a calibrated mic and i'm gonna make some measurement in the open and report here with some data.

Thanks Mr Cubo for the project and kind responses, the kicks already sound and look very good, can't wait to fine tune and finish them.
I think you built a prototype with 18 sound 15d930, what was your experience with phase and crossovers?
Did you test it at high power? how much power ideally would you feed them with?
i'm debating wether limiting the amp peak voltage or just being careful and allowing the full voltage resulting in 1300 watt @ 8 ohm for headroom and peaks.

here's a couple pics of the system, thanks again for sharing these.
Attachments:

More
7 years 10 months ago #23390 by ikabod88
Replied by ikabod88 on topic Cubo Kick 15

Cubo15 wrote: I Would do it like this:

Everything that works in Cubo Kick 12 (small) works in Cubo Kick "Medium". In comparison, it takes something from the top end and adds it to the bottom end.

Best regards

Cubo

Hi Cubo,
Based on the Cubo Kick 12 image posted here, I noticed that your port holes were reduced to 3, but on the cut list drawings, there are 3 port panels for a 4 port hole. Is a 3 port hole applicable to Cubo kick 12/medium 45cm, or still the standard 4 port? otherwise, can I have a simple reference or idea, say I want to use a 650w 12" transducer and it's specs suits exactly a Cubo kick 12 box requirement? Cubo kick medium 45cm?
And regarding the 2 front brace, will it affect the Cubo kick performance if I reduce it to a single panel placed in the center?

Thanks,

More
7 years 10 months ago #23391 by lp8124
Replied by lp8124 on topic Cubo Kick 15
hello,

could you make a 18inch version?¿ or is there one allready?
i am looking for a high pressure 18 neodinium 1000W RMS or more.

Greetings en bedankt

• Cubo15
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
7 years 10 months ago - 7 years 10 months ago #23392 by Cubo15
Replied by Cubo15 on topic Cubo Kick 15
@Ganon: Are you possibly talking about the Kappa 15A instead (it has an EBP of 98)? The Kappa 15A for bass is nowhere near the Kappa Pro 15LF, but for mid bass/ kick it's a decent driver. The Kappa 15C has the highest EBP (124) of all mentioned drivers. It has the lowest Xmax but it's bit more of a horn driver than the Kappa 15A, so a decent choice as well. The Fane 15-400 should also work similarly well for 12V PA-appilcations in Cubo Kick

@Jo bg: Due to circumstances, which up to now, are beyond my control, I'm not able to measure nor test Cubo Kick 15 as per plans. Once that's done, plans can be released officially as well.

If you can keep the average voltage in check, 1300 W per driver is great. To determine how much is too much, I would advise you to listen and look (for distortion), to just the kicks, with different music material, including test tones (at most 1/2 power of the AES-continues rating with sine waves though).
However mechanically, with a high pass in place the 15ND930 is pretty much safe. It's with lots of output at the excursion-minima, that pose a thermal threat.

My first guess for your system would be to fix delay settings (as you didn't mention those).

@Ikabod88: The plan for Cubo Kick Large, which is 62 cm wide, looks imo best when fitted with 4 ports/ 3 port dividing braces. Medium at 45 cm width, just didn't have the same look with 3 port braces, so I took one out in the render shown. As long as you keep at least 1 bracing in the port and in the mouth, I'd say go for it.

More or less braces in the port will slightly adjust the tuning frequency of the port, but not something I would consider, for this design.

I did do a render with a single bracing in the horn mouth but again imo it didn't do justice to it looks.

@Ip8124: Technically it's possible, if it was not for the fact that most 18" won't fit in the chamber due to the average depth (and magnet-size) of an 18" driver. I'll look into it this week and see if there's an easy solution or a re-design needed.

Best regards

Cubo
Last edit: 7 years 10 months ago by Cubo15.

More
7 years 10 months ago #23400 by t.geessounds
Replied by t.geessounds on topic Cubo Kick 15
build 4 of these cubo 15 with a little mod just for looks .. sound sweet an punchy ..
Attachments:

More
7 years 9 months ago - 7 years 9 months ago #23419 by jo bg
Replied by jo bg on topic Cubo Kick 15
hi
so i spent a little time with mic and smaart in the open, adjusted delay a bit (settings used previously were calculated on horn lenghts or found on internet) and adjusted phase +40 degrees.
now the traces overlap well in the whole crossover region , both lower with subs and upper with mids.
we took the system to the streets and gave it some serious power with bass heavy reggae. amps where delivering full 2k watts at each th18 sub and the Cubo Kicks where keeping up without effort, looking at the amp leds i don't think they ever reached 500 watts each - of the 1,3 kw available.
The pressure from the system, now with better phase alignment , was incredible, moving a lot of air while keeping a very musical quality and good clarity at very high volume.
the Cubo kick stacked on the subs measured a little more sensitive around 100 - 120 hz, with peaks and dips in the +-3 range. Until i get some more measuring time i'm using it without eq on the crossover output, and it already sounds good :) (for reference no eq on th18, 5 parametric eqs on the mt121 outputs).

So mr Cubo thanks again, your design rocks and your assistance has been very helpful.
Attachments:
Last edit: 7 years 9 months ago by jo bg. Reason: improve clarity

More
7 years 8 months ago #23457 by decibel
Replied by decibel on topic Cubo Kick 15
Hi Cubo,

I am interested to build Cubo 12 Kick, but the 18sound's distributor doesn't have 12ND830. will the 12W700 or 12MB600 work in Cubo 12 Kick ? Since I couldn't find EBP value in its datasheet.
Faital Pro distributor doesn't have 12FH500 or 12FH520. They only have 12PR310 and 12HP1010

Thanks in advance
Decibel

Time to create page: 0.332 seconds