heart Cubo 15

6 years 8 months ago #24014 by Cubo15
Replied by Cubo15 on topic Cubo 15 .... What Next!?
@Redtag: Nice little system you got there, are you gonna use a top hat/ pole, or keep it as is?

@Joshworthy: Now that has the B/BB look to it!

Both the SMT112 and Cubo Kick 15 should easily keep up with 2 x Cubo 15, so adding a Cubo 15 per side makes sense.

Generally it's best to go for more of the same, as more of the same bass cabinets means optimum phase coherence, which translates to maximum SPL through coupling of the bass bins. It also looks tidy, which can be a big plus in some types of events. Plus, as you mentioned, same processing, same channel, etc.

Both W-bins and scoops perform best in blocks of at least two but four is better (W-bins were originally designed to be used in blocks of eight). So if you feel 4 x Cubo 15 aren't gonna cut it, you could opt for a stack of 4 large scoops.

Best regards Cubo

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

6 years 8 months ago #24016 by Grymer
Replied by Grymer on topic Cubo 15
Hi cubo

I am not sure whether to go for 8 Cubo15 loaded with kappalite 3015LF or 4 MHB-4818. Which stack would perform best when given 2000w in total?

6 years 8 months ago #24017 by ricosound
Replied by ricosound on topic Cubo 15
Hello Cubo and Community...

wanted to get an opinion about a speaker set up I'm going to prepare for a gig this week...

I'm planning to use 2 cubo 15 ( with JBL 2226H 600 W ) and 3 Cubo12 ( with B&C 12PS76 450 W ).

now...cubo15 is set at 40 to 100 Hz where Cubo12 should start from 50 Hz. At the moment I don't have the possibility to set them at different frequencies range through my driver rack. I will drive cubo 15 off right channel of LOW output of driverack and cubo 12 off L channel...so they will get the same sound signal.

Would it be better to raise the bottom end to 50 Hz of Cubo 15 or to lower to 40 Hz of Cubo 12 ?
I'm going to do some test this week but I can't really get a proper volume test until the gig so I was mostly wondering if lowering Cubo12 bottom end will be detrimental to the overall sound more than raising Cubo15 to 50Hz and above.

thanks

6 years 8 months ago - 6 years 8 months ago #24018 by Cubo15
Replied by Cubo15 on topic Cubo 15
@Grymer: If it's primarily for outside, you need throw beyond 30 meters and that throw isn't going to disturb neighbours at a couple km/ miles away, plus you're always going to use a stack of 4, I would choose the MHB's.

If you're going to do small and large setups in-and outside, within 30 meters distance, wanna do cardioid or some pattern control setup, I would go for the Cubo 15's. Also the Cubo's are a one man lift, so it's quite flexible.

If the MHB are loaded with decent 18" drivers, I don't think there will be much difference in overall output.

@Ricosound: Mostly depends on how much power you're going to feed each Cubo. The B&C 12PS76 is quite a strong driver, with plenty of Xmax but if they get a lot of power (more then 500-ish Watts) combined with a low high pass setting that can be too much. If not, I would use a steep 24 dB/octave high pass at 40 Hz for all cabinets.

Best regards Cubo
The following user(s) said Thank You: Grymer

6 years 8 months ago #24019 by Grymer

Cubo15 wrote: @Grymer: If it's primarily for outside, you need throw beyond 30 meters and that throw isn't going to disturb neighbours at a couple km/ miles away, plus you're always going to use a stack of 4, I would choose the MHB's.

If you're going to do small and large setups in-and outside, within 30 meters distance, wanna do cardioid or some pattern control setup, I would go for the Cubo 15's. Also the Cubo's are a one man lift, so it's quite flexible.

If the MHB are loaded with decent 18" drivers, I don't think there will be much difference in overall output.

I've read a lot about this throwing effect and many say it is just a matter of spl. If one sub is louder, it will throw the sound longer.

The thing is, the subs will primarily be used for an outdoor festival once a year, where I'm running on batteries and solar-panels, and I'd like the system as effective as possible. I am running the subs with 4 BFM DR250 each fed with 200 watts. I just can't make a decision.

Besides from the festival, I might build 4 cubo18 cabs, so I can switch the drivers around whenever it's not festival.

Do you reckon 18LW1400 will do the job for both cabs?

Thanks for the response! :)

6 years 8 months ago #24020 by ricosound
Replied by ricosound on topic Cubo 15
Hi Cubo thanks for the reply...

This is going to be just a one time off set up as I just finished Cubo12 speakers and I want to try them out ..on final set up they will be used in couple , so 2 Cubo12 per amp channel.

In this combo with Cubo15 I will feed them off one channel of a QSC RMX2450, so about 750 W at 4OHM...now the question is that I am trying to find out is that if 3 speakers at 8 Ohm ( such as the ones I am using for Cubo12 ) still falls under the "4Ohms" amp output or under the 2 Ohms or interns of Watts output somewhere in the middle. Theoretically impedance should be around 2.6 Ohms for the 3 of them in parallel.
RMX2450 is rated with 1200W at 2Ohms, which is about 400W per driver.

cheers

6 years 8 months ago #24021 by Cubo15
@Grymer: I'd say 'throw' is more complicated then that but it's hardly an issue here.

If it's for a 12V PA I would change things a bit, I would focus less on anything below 50 Hz and focus more on output till well in the 120 Hz area. Below 50 Hz is the deep bass but also the early depletion of your batteries, around 120 Hz is where you feel the kick on your chest, which will give your 12V PA reasonably easy achieved grunt.

In that case, since you already have the DR250, I would look into the T39 (or was it the T48) loaded with a 12" (3012LF). Not much below 50 Hz, nice output in the 120 Hz area and if made from 12 mm ply, still a one-man-lift (bit big though).

One-on-one a Cubo 15 will start to beat it below 60 Hz but to do great in the 120 Hz area you would either need the right driver/EQ or Cubo Kick 15. The MHB could also work but I have never heard it and every design I heard the 18LW1400 in, personally I didn't like above 80 - 100 Hz. The latter being a sub driver and for your purpose I would look into a bass driver, unless it's for Cubo 18 or Sub as those are generally used below 100 Hz anyway.

@Ricosound: Technically it would have the 2.66 Ohm impedance (=8/3), so probably around a 1000 W for all three, which means it would definitely be safe with a 40 Hz high pass.

Best regards Cubo

6 years 8 months ago - 6 years 8 months ago #24023 by Grymer
double post whoops

6 years 8 months ago #24024 by Grymer

Cubo15 wrote: @Grymer: I'd say 'throw' is more complicated then that but it's hardly an issue here.

If it's for a 12V PA I would change things a bit, I would focus less on anything below 50 Hz and focus more on output till well in the 120 Hz area. Below 50 Hz is the deep bass but also the early depletion of your batteries, around 120 Hz is where you feel the kick on your chest, which will give your 12V PA reasonably easy achieved grunt.

In that case, since you already have the DR250, I would look into the T39 (or was it the T48) loaded with a 12" (3012LF). Not much below 50 Hz, nice output in the 120 Hz area and if made from 12 mm ply, still a one-man-lift (bit big though).

One-on-one a Cubo 15 will start to beat it below 60 Hz but to do great in the 120 Hz area you would either need the right driver/EQ or Cubo Kick 15. The MHB could also work but I have never heard it and every design I heard the 18LW1400 in, personally I didn't like above 80 - 100 Hz. The latter being a sub driver and for your purpose I would look into a bass driver, unless it's for Cubo 18 or Sub as those are generally used below 100 Hz anyway.

@Ricosound: Technically it would have the 2.66 Ohm impedance (=8/3), so probably around a 1000 W for all three, which means it would definitely be safe with a 40 Hz high pass.

Best regards Cubo

I already own 4 Titan48 (but 6 inch thinner design) and unfortunately not a big fan. This year we built this speaker. 10 batterier (1250Ah at 13V), 2 solar panels, 2 amps, 4 modified SRM450 and the 4 titans

Next year I'll get a much lover wagon. Its 80cm now, but it'll be more like 40 next year.

And id like flat response down to 48-50hz. Im only going to EQ from 55-60 and up, but I dont want to miss out on the pleasent Bass. (Plus i have a lot of battery)

Will the LF18G401 do well in a cubo18 cab?
Attachments:

6 years 7 months ago #24029 by Cubo15
The LF18G401 will do well in a Cubo 18 Extended and will do (plenty) more below 60 Hz than your current setup. A SRM450 would meet it nicely at 80 - 100 Hz but a DR250 really starts to get going at 125 Hz.

To be honest I think the current setup is wasting a lot of output just by how it is placed on the wagon. Going to 40 cm from the ground instead of 80 cm it's now, is going to do some good for sure. I always advocate to put the subs as close to the ground as possible.

I would also put all the subs in a single block (that's +3 dB there), on their sides (thus closer to the floor) 2 by 2, with the mouths combined. If stationary, I would put them on the ground in front of the wagon, if that's not possible it might be a good idea to close of the open area underneath the subs and above the ground (next to the wheels) with a wooden sheet.

As for your current setup, what drivers do you use in the T48's? Also, what do you not like about them? Even if you're going to switch the sound system completely, it might give some insight in what you're after and how to best accomplish that.

And yes, you do have a lot of battery power :ohmy:

Best regards Cubo