Cubo 15

More
7 years 1 month ago - 7 years 1 month ago #23803 by wintrmute
Replied by wintrmute on topic Cubo 15
Well, I finished my Cubo build!
It doesn't look as good as most others because I'm still a bit of a hack, but damn it sounds good!

Full album:
www.flickr.com/photos/wintrmute/albums/72157677626501743

[img
Last edit: 7 years 1 month ago by wintrmute.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
7 years 1 month ago - 7 years 1 month ago #23807 by Cubo15
Replied by Cubo15 on topic Cubo 15
@Ricosound: Thanks for the picture!

@Wintrmute: The extended version simulates and measures flatter for ~70% of the drivers tested, usually it also finds a nicer shaped impedance plot. The other 30% prefers the non-extended form for flattest output, matching driver specifics to design specifics (mainly Qes and Vas).

Have you changed the position of the driver yet? Magnet inside the horn or inside the chamber is a similar driver specific orientation. I wouldn't recommend it specifically for the Kappalite nor would I change it to the Extended version but it's easier done then adding the extra panel.

It sounds like your missing out on a relatively small change, that misses the drivers preferred orientation, combined with a lot of trouble to get there. Especially since you say you're happy with the current result!

I suppose you don't have a router, which you could use to round off the edges (rounding bit 8 mm radius). What I would do however is sand it with an eccentric sander. First with 80 grid on the surfaces, which you could also use to create small (2 or 3 mm radius) rounded over corners, then go up to 180 (or 240) grid before lacquer. Sanding gently by hand between layers with something like 400-800 grid.

Best regards

Cubo
Last edit: 7 years 1 month ago by Cubo15.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jords

More
7 years 1 month ago #23810 by wintrmute
Replied by wintrmute on topic Cubo 15
@Cubo15 Thank you for the info. I'll see if I can borrow some router or eccentric sanding tools.

I'll see if I can figure out how to actually analyse the current setup before changing it. :)

Cheers

More
7 years 1 month ago #23829 by ketabot
Replied by ketabot on topic Cubo 15
Hi there!
I have two Kappa 15 LFA at home and i planned to build a 2x15 cubo version..
anyone did this allready or have suggestions or plans, fotos etc.?
thanks!

More
7 years 4 weeks ago #23835 by Cubo15
There's a few out there. It's either done as side-by-side or mouth-to-mouth. The latter which has the added benefit that the panel at the mouth opposite of the driver (that is generally enduring most stress) is now in a much more balanced position as the 2 drivers opposing forces largely cancel each other out.. This also means you can leave some of the panel bracings out. See the second attachment for Cubo 218 (at 120 cm height), to give an idea of the overall scheme, of things.

Best regards

Cubo
Attachments:

More
7 years 3 weeks ago #23846 by ketabot
Replied by ketabot on topic Cubo 15
sooo, i bought wood today but for the single 15 version 'cause of transport and weight reasons.. so should i go for the extended version with the kappa lfa 15?
best regards!

More
7 years 2 weeks ago #23850 by Cubo15
Both Standard and Extended will do but if you haven't build it yet, I would build the Extended version.

Best regards

Cubo

More
7 years 5 days ago #23874 by zaxder
Replied by zaxder on topic Cubo 15
I have just completed the build of a Cubo15 with Kappa 15LFA, but only now realised that there is a angled piece at 87 degrees where we had it at 90 degrees. Will this effect the performance much or is it okay? It's for festival purposes, so we use it outside filtered at around 40 Hz and a LPF at around 80-90 Hz with a 12 dB/octave slope.

We are currently building another Cubo15, so we have not tried it yet, but everything else is build to specs.

Thanks for a awesome design (I have heard it before and it's a crazy good bass bin!)

More
7 years 3 days ago #23877 by redtag
Replied by redtag on topic Cubo 15
Hi.
Which driver is the best one for Cubo 15 extended of the recommended ones? Any body have plans of a nice 12"/1" top to 2-4 cubo 15? And if I wanna go 3-way what should I build? I have trouble to find the sn12b but I can find the 12pe32.

More
7 years 3 days ago #23878 by anjmoor
Replied by anjmoor on topic Cubo 15
I use the eminence delta 15 lf's in mine and they have been solid for years.
As for midtops I opted for the Fane 12" midtop design which have also been superb loaded with p-audio es 200's
Attachments:

Time to create page: 0.420 seconds