Cubo 15

More
5 years 11 months ago - 5 years 11 months ago #24240 by iampoor1
Replied by iampoor1 on topic Cubo 15
Hello

I sent an email address to ****
I think this has a typo in it? I also sent one to ****

I am looking to build two of these, but am located in the United States so Imperial plans would be much appreciated. :D

Thanks!

Last edit: 5 years 11 months ago by giveortake. Reason: Emails obfuscation

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 years 11 months ago #24242 by Cubo15
Replied by Cubo15 on topic Cubo 15
Hi Nathan,

It's common forum practice, not to post e-mail addresses, in fear of being spammed to smithereens.

If you remove my e-mail address form you post, I will send you the Imperial plans ;)

You might want to remove your own as well.

Best regards Cubo

More
5 years 11 months ago #24243 by Cubo15
Hi Nathan,

It's common forum practice, not to post e-mail addresses, in fear of being spammed to smithereens.

If you remove my e-mail addresses from your post, I will send you the Imperial plans ;)

You might want to remove your own as well.

Best regards Cubo

More
5 years 11 months ago #24245 by geritass
Replied by geritass on topic Cubo 15
Hi, Cubo.
I hope you´re fine.
to ask you, will Dayton Audio PA380-8 work in CUBO 15?
Or wich one is the better box ( cubo15, cubo extended, etc.)
is it efficient as the kappa pro LF?

Product Specifications
Nominal Diameter15"Power Handling (RMS)500 Watts
Power Handling (max)1000 WattsImpedance8 ohms
Frequency Response28 to 3,500 HzSensitivity96.1 dB 2.83V/1m
Voice Coil Diameter3"Magnet Weight80 oz.

Thiele-Small Parameters
Resonant Frequency (Fs)31.6 HzDC
Resistance (Re)6.3 ohms
Voice Coil Inductance (Le)4.12 mHMechanical
Q (Qms)12.20
Electromagnetic Q (Qes)0.27
Total Q (Qts)0.27
Compliance Equivalent Volume (Vas)6.19 ft.³
Mechanical Compliance of Suspension (Cms)0.17 mm/N
BL Product (BL)25.8 TmDiaphragm Mass Inc. Airload (Mms)147g
Maximum Linear Excursion (Xmax)5 mmSurface Area of Cone (Sd)845 cm²

Thanks in advance.

More
5 years 11 months ago #24247 by iampoor1
Howdy

I cant figure out how to edit my post, I sent a message to the moderators about deleting the emails address. My apologies for that!

I actually converted your metric plans to imperial and build my first box. It sounds great! However, I think I am running into a problem. I built it using a Kappalite 3015LF driver. I am feeding it about 500-600watts, and on certain songs, I will occasionally hear a "clap" in the woofer. I am assuming this is the woofer bottoming out, and I simply reduce the power going to it, then the problem is solved. I think the driver is running out of xmax? The amplifier clips as it happens, but I know the amplifier is no where near its peak output.

While the box sounds great, I am always on the hunt for more power from a single box (planning on building 4). I currently have the magnet in the horn, but am going to try flipping it around. I am also considering building cubo 18s instead. What is the best Eminence driver to load in a Cubo 18/Cubo 18 extended? I was thinking about trying the Kappa Pro-18lf. If it works equally as well as the Kappalite 3015lf, it looks like I could get ~3db more output from it in an 18in box driven by 800w. Am I missing something or does this all look correct?

Thank you :)

More
5 years 11 months ago #24248 by Cubo15
@Geritass:

Yes, the Dayton is about as efficient as the Kappa Pro 15LF but it doesn't look like it is quite in the same league. When it comes to bang for the buck the Dayton definitely has the upper hand but the Kappa Pro 15LF scores better in the quality department.

@Poor1:

I am assuming this is the woofer bottoming out

That would also be my first assumption, though it could be something else. FYI, that would be the driver exceeding Xmech, exceeding Xmax increases distortion as the cone starts to move increasingly non-linear.

Have you set a high pass filter? If not, that is your problem. If you have, at what frequency and how steep? 40 Hz and 12 - 24 dB/octave, steeper is better as a guideline.

I am also considering building cubo 18s instead

If I could only give you one piece of advise, it would be to go for a driver with a 4" VC. Personally I would favour the Impero 18C at 4 Ohm, not to be confused with the Impero 18A which is quite different. Alternatively at usspeaker.com B&C has a good alternative with the 18RBX100.

Best regards Cubo

More
5 years 11 months ago #24249 by iampoor1
I have a 24db octave High pass filter turned on on my crossover. I also have the 30hz 12db high pass filter turned on on my amp. I unfortunately dont have a crossover with a variable high pass right now. Is my high pass too low? Does the woofer become "unloaded" unless it is high passed at 40hz or higher?

Cubo15 wrote: @Geritass:
@Poor1:

I am assuming this is the woofer bottoming out

That would also be my first assumption, though it could be something else. FYI, that would be the driver exceeding Xmech, exceeding Xmax increases distortion as the cone starts to move increasingly non-linear.

Have you set a high pass filter? If not, that is your problem. If you have, at what frequency and how steep? 40 Hz and 12 - 24 dB/octave, steeper is better as a guideline.

I am also considering building cubo 18s instead

If I could only give you one piece of advise, it would be to go for a driver with a 4" VC. Personally I would favour the Impero 18C at 4 Ohm, not to be confused with the Impero 18A which is quite different. Alternatively at usspeaker.com B&C has a good alternative with the 18RBX100.

Best regards Cubo

Is that because driver with 4in VC's suffer less from power compression?
I think I really need to simulate the box designs with the speakers in them. I have been looking at the efficency vs power rating numbers, and I am actually pretty amazed at how loud the 3015lf is at 450w, especially compared to these high power 18in drivers. Then again, they may sound better/have a better frequency response. I cant really tell without simulating.

More
5 years 11 months ago #24250 by juanito
Replied by juanito on topic Cubo 15
Hi Mr, Can I use the below driver for the Cubo 15 or Cubo15 kick? will works well?

May you please comment.

thanks a lot.

Here is the specification:

SPEAKER BRAND: SICA
MODEL: 15K4

Specifications
Nominal Diameter 388mm (15")
Nominal Impedance 8Ω
Rated Power AES (1) 700W
Continuous Program Power (2) 1400W
Sensitivity @ 1W/1m (3) 99.2dB
Voice Coil Diameter 100mm (4")
Voice Coil Winding Depth 22mm
Magnetic Gap Depth 10mm
Flux Density 1.29T
Magnet Weight 715g
Net Weight 5.0kg

Thiele & Small Parameters (4)
Re 5.10Ω Fs 48.0Hz
Qms 7.80 Qes 0.28
Qts 0.28 Mms 118.6g
Cms 107µm/N Bxl 25.10Tm
Vas 98.3l Sd 855.3cm2
X max(5) +/-6.3mm X var (6) +/-10.5mm
η0 3.50% Le (1kHz) 0.64mH

Costructive Characteristics
Magnet : Neodymium
Basket Material : Aluminium Die-Cast
Voice Coil Winding Material : Copper
Voice Coil Former Material : Kapton
Cone Material : Paper
Cone Treatment : Humidity Resistant Pulp
Surround Material : Treated Cloth
Dust Dome Material : Solid Pap

More
5 years 11 months ago #24251 by Cubo15

I have a 24db octave High pass filter turned on on my crossover. I also have the 30hz 12db high pass filter turned on on my amp

So what is the frequency of your crossovers high pass?

The fact that you already have some sort of high pass in place and the 3015LF has a decent Xmech makes it reasonable that something else is going on. What excursion (peak-to-peak) do you estimate the cone is making when the noise occurs?

1. You're not looking at efficiency (that's in %), sensitivity is rated in dB/W/m
2. Sensitivity ratings are often hyped marketing figures, efficiency usually isn't
3. Efficiency and sensitivity have less influence in a Cubo 15 anyway

Cubo 15 with the 3015LF will have around 1 dB less overall sensitivity and 2 - 3 dB more power compression than Cubo 18 with the aforementioned drivers. Cubo 15 will likely sound better over 80 - 100 Hz. Cubo 18 is a step up in output, if you have the power to feed it and have tops with a good kick to them.

@juanito:

The SICA 15K4 can easily be used in both Cubo 15 (preferably Extra Extended otherwise Extended) and Cubo 15 Kick.

Best regards Cubo
The following user(s) said Thank You: juanito

More
5 years 11 months ago #24252 by juanito
Replied by juanito on topic Cubo 15
Thanks Mr. Cubo for your fast response.

Is SICA 15k4 driver, good choice like the kappa pro 15lf?

Time to create page: 0.361 seconds