Cubo 15

More
6 years 8 months ago #24042 by NicolaiGrymer
Replied by NicolaiGrymer on topic Cubo 15

Cubo15 wrote: As for your current setup, what drivers do you use in the T48's? Also, what do you not like about them? Even if you're going to switch the sound system completely, it might give some insight in what you're after and how to best accomplish that.

Best regards Cubo

My previous account was banned, then unbanned, then banned again, so I've decided to leave it. I'll be using this one from now on.

I think I'll actually go and make my own wagon, since it is so hard to find a proper wagon. That way I can get the subs as low as 15 or maybe even 10 cm :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo:

Now back to subwoofers. I'm still in doubt and now the choice is actually between Cubo18 or the MHB-4818. Which one do you reckon would be the better choice?

I also found a very very sensitive 18inch driver. Do you reckon that going from a 98db to 100db sensitive driver would benefit in the Cubo18? The driver is Fane Colossus Prime 18XS.

The problem with the titans is their low output. I need a lot more 45-65hz bass. I do own the plans of the titan, and I could probably build 4-6 of those, but since I've found several marketing lies in his statements, I prefer not to use his subs.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 years 8 months ago #24044 by Cubo15
Replied by Cubo15 on topic Cubo 15
Well, as long as you don't encounter any speed bumps or dirt roads that sounds the dogs bollocks :woohoo:

Those drivers are 95.4 dB/W/m (lies and loudspeakers go hand in hand) Quoted sensitivity figures in sub/ bass driver specifications are all about marketing these days. Sensitivity doesn't matter that much below 100 Hz anyway, I personally do like high sensitivity bass drivers in Cubo's as they tend to have a more pronounced kick (>80 Hz). For 45- 65 Hz these drivers will do nicely, as they're more sub drivers than bass drivers.

If it's now between 4 x Cubo 18 vs 4 x the MHB, the latter will have more output from 45 - 50 Hz and up (it's tuned to 46 Hz). Cubo 18 will drop lower but when it comes to overall output they can't stand up to a cabinet twice their size.

If it's 8 vs 4: Cubo's, if it's 4 vs 4: MHB's.

Best regards Cubo
The following user(s) said Thank You: alanv1970

More
6 years 7 months ago #24067 by alanv1970
Replied by alanv1970 on topic Cubo 15
Finally some images....
Color coded the subs first then the tops. Sounds as awesome as they look.
For those newbies out there, I highly recommend saving up for a proper sound management system, just makes the word of difference. Took me a long time to find out that spending it in the beginning will save a lot in the long run with maintenance of amps and speakers if tuned proper.

Attachments:

More
6 years 7 months ago #24072 by e1000
Replied by e1000 on topic Cubo 15
Hi Mr Cubo, I have 2 JBLGT5 15 liying around and like to give a try this cubo design. Do you think its worth? I now have two 18lw1400 on 220l 30hz enclosure and would like to go a little smaller.
Thanks for the reply.

Emiliano.

More
6 years 7 months ago #24080 by Cubo15
Replied by Cubo15 on topic Cubo 15
@Alanv1970: That's a nice little setup, very recognizable as well.

@e1000: It would work and I've had good reviews with similar high Qes drivers but most of those same people were again impressed when they upgraded Cubo 15/ 18 to a significantly lower Qes driver. The GTS15's Qes is 0.76 which is super high for a PA-driver which tend to stop around 0.4 - 0.5. It's still workable for a (free air) car driver though (different horses for courses).

In fact it would work better in a slim version of Cubo Sub (just wide enough to fit the GTS15), which would have about the same external volume as Cubo 15, just different dimensions (and it would drop down to 30 Hz, instead of 40 Hz).

Best regards Cubo

More
6 years 6 months ago - 6 years 6 months ago #24100 by joshworthy
Replied by joshworthy on topic Cubo 15 .... What Next!?
Got another party at the end of the month - should be around 300-400 people so think i need a bit more oomph....

About to order the bits to make another two cubo15s to go with the rig...
With regards to keeping things the same, would building cubo15 extended cabs to go alongside the cubo15s (same drivers and x over /eq) work or should I really keep them 100% the same?

Here's some photos so far!!!

Cubo15 wrote: @Redtag: Nice little system you got there, are you gonna use a top hat/ pole, or keep it as is?

@Joshworthy: Now that has the B/BB look to it!

Both the SMT112 and Cubo Kick 15 should easily keep up with 2 x Cubo 15, so adding a Cubo 15 per side makes sense.

Generally it's best to go for more of the same, as more of the same bass cabinets means optimum phase coherence, which translates to maximum SPL through coupling of the bass bins. It also looks tidy, which can be a big plus in some types of events. Plus, as you mentioned, same processing, same channel, etc.

Both W-bins and scoops perform best in blocks of at least two but four is better (W-bins were originally designed to be used in blocks of eight). So if you feel 4 x Cubo 15 aren't gonna cut it, you could opt for a stack of 4 large scoops.

Best regards Cubo

Last edit: 6 years 6 months ago by joshworthy.

More
6 years 6 months ago #24104 by Cubo15
Replied by Cubo15 on topic Cubo 15 .... What Next!?
The P-Audio E15-600S is a bit better at home in Cubo 15 Extended (mainly it will have a flatter response), so building two Cubo 15 Extended next is not a problem. As 90% of the internals of the cabinets are the same, there won't be any noticeable issues.

Depending on your distance (the stack) from the crowd, you might want to tilt the SMT a bit forward, if it's standing on 3 times 62 cm high Cubo's. That way the SMT's can cover the people on the front row, as well as have enough height to cover all the way to the back, which becomes more important as the crowd size increases.

Best regards

Cubo
The following user(s) said Thank You: joshworthy

More
6 years 6 months ago #24106 by joshworthy
I'm thinking to put the two Cubo15s in pairs on the floor (per side) with a cubo kick 15 straddling the pair and the SMT12 on top? I think I saw a photo somewhere in this thread with that set up!

Thanks for your help Cubo!!!!

More
6 years 6 months ago #24107 by joshworthy
HI Cubo,

I have just re-read the cubo15 thread and It got me thinking about placement and V Plating. Do you know of anyone who has successfully V plated pairs of cubo15s?

Here is an interesting article I found which others here might be interested in!

billfitzmaurice.info/forum/viewtopic.php?t=398

Regards,

Josh.

More
6 years 6 months ago #24112 by Cubo15
Replied by Cubo15 on topic Cubo 15 .... What Next!?
Hi Josh,

V-plating does do a little from what I've measured but not as much as some suggest. It's mostly improving the upper half of the frequency response (of a Cubo 15), output-wise 1- 2 dB at most.

Best regards Cubo

Time to create page: 0.323 seconds