Toroidal[Heavyweight] Vs SMPS[Lightweight] amplifiers

More
12 years 11 months ago #13609 by saul

Kanwar wrote:
Toroidal amps are capable of giving huge amount of current when pushed to the limits whereas in SMPS amps when you try to draw more current than its rating, it starts limiting the current to safeguard itself, toroids being passive don't have any as such current limitation.

freespeakerplans.... :wave:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 10 months ago #13612 by NITZ V1505
On sub duty playing Roots Dub music on certain notes ( the type where everything goes static and you can feel it in your legs !) the amp impedance can drop . This is why older heavyweight amps like the Crown VZ and the EV p3000 sound great powering 4 scoops cos they can handle the impedance drop. My first impressions of smps amps were the Crown xti series and I wasnt impressed . Things have moved on from there and smps have improved alot. Their great for kicks,mids or tops but on sub for me its got be a heavyweight

• ΚΔΠШΔЯ
  • Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
More
12 years 10 months ago #13614 by ΚΔΠШΔЯ

NITZ V1505 wrote: On sub duty playing Roots Dub music on certain notes ( the type where everything goes static and you can feel it in your legs !) the amp impedance can drop . This is why older heavyweight amps like the Crown VZ and the EV p3000 sound great powering 4 scoops cos they can handle the impedance drop. My first impressions of smps amps were the Crown xti series and I wasnt impressed . Things have moved on from there and smps have improved alot. Their great for kicks,mids or tops but on sub for me its got be a heavyweight

Yeah, A monoblock of 5KW with heavyweight toroid will charm the roots circles. smiley1

More
12 years 10 months ago #13615 by Daryll
For my disco I use a w-audio horizon 1300 for the tops , and a good old berry EP2500 for the sub , best of both worlds , the w-audio is 18 months old , and the berry is 4 years old , never a problem

Daryll

More
12 years 10 months ago #13616 by Daz
SMPS for convinience Torroid for grunt.
I use a set of Crown XTI's 2 Xti 4000 and 2 XTI 2000 for my mobile PA rig. I find that their power ratings are realistic but with nothing to spare.
I also find that many SMPS based amps are sold based on there 2 Ohm driving ability and power rating. Problem is that the power bandwidth changes a fair amount especialy at low frequencies so when trying to drive subs at earthquake frequencies the grunt is not there at 2 Ohms. I am tending to use the 4 Ohm figure as a more realistic benchmark.

I still run a couple of old Brit built Citronic PPX 1600 amps that blow the Crown XTI4000's away when driving Subs but then they are over 25KG each to lift. :lol: OUCH!

Daz

• heathrow_b_line
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
12 years 10 months ago #13618 by heathrow_b_line
Replied by heathrow_b_line on topic Toroidal[Heavyweight] Vs SMPS[Lightweight] amplifiers

Daz wrote: SMPS for convinience Torroid for grunt.

Daz

My thoughts exactly Daz

:clap:

i am sure the day will come when performance of the two are comparable/similar

Produce a killer sound. Take no prisoners.

More
12 years 10 months ago #13619 by levyte357

Daz wrote: I also find that many SMPS based amps are sold based on there 2 Ohm driving ability and power rating. Problem is that the power bandwidth changes a fair amount especialy at low frequencies so when trying to drive subs at earthquake frequencies the grunt is not there at 2 Ohms. I am tending to use the 4 Ohm figure as a more realistic benchmark.

Exactly what everyone tells me.

\"When in Vegas, do as the vegasians do\".

More
12 years 10 months ago #13621 by levyte357

Kanwar wrote: Yeah, A monoblock of 5KW with heavyweight toroid will charm the roots circles. smiley1

Also nice would be,

a) 4x NL4 speakons (1+/2+ joined, 1-/2- joined)
b) XLR out socket
c) Screw out fuse on the back
d) Illuminated Power Switch

Also Kanwar, please inform us if "anyone" PMs/emails you racist messages on "this forum". smiley2

More
12 years 10 months ago #13622 by Sinfinity

levyte357 wrote:

Kanwar wrote: Yeah, A monoblock of 5KW with heavyweight toroid will charm the roots circles. smiley1

Also nice would be,

a) 4x NL4 speakons (1+/2+ joined, 1-/2- joined)
b) XLR out socket
c) Screw out fuse on the back
d) Illuminated Power Switch

Also Kanwar, please inform us if "anyone" PMs/emails you racist messages on "this forum".
smiley2

Agreed, this forum must not go down that route. smiley1

More
12 years 10 months ago #13626 by levyte357

Sinfinity wrote:

levyte357 wrote:
Also Kanwar, please inform us if "anyone" PMs/emails you racist messages on "this forum".
smiley2

Agreed, this forum must not go down that route. smiley1

It won't, if the people on it don't. smiley2

Time to create page: 0.278 seconds