Toroidal[Heavyweight] Vs SMPS[Lightweight] amplifiers

• ΚΔΠШΔЯ
  • Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
More
12 years 11 months ago - 11 years 10 months ago #13590 by ΚΔΠШΔЯ
Hi Folks,

I want to know about what you people think about lightweight and heavyweight amplifiers. Toroidal transformer based amps put lot of weight and smps based amplifiers are lightweight.

Transportation of lightweight amps is easy but again we have speakers also which are much more heavier than toroidal transformer based amplifiers instead.

So what is the preference in terms of sound quality such as handling of low frequencies LF according to your experiences.

Kindly shed some light on this.

regards,
Kanwar
Last edit: 11 years 10 months ago by giveortake.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 11 months ago #13591 by saul

• ΚΔΠШΔЯ
  • Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
More
12 years 11 months ago #13593 by ΚΔΠШΔЯ
Saul :lol:

More
12 years 11 months ago #13594 by bee

• ΚΔΠШΔЯ
  • Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
More
12 years 11 months ago #13595 by ΚΔΠШΔЯ
c'mon guys speak something :lol:

More
12 years 11 months ago #13598 by bee

More
12 years 11 months ago #13600 by levyte357

Kanwar wrote: So what is the preference in terms of sound quality such as handling of low frequencies LF according to your experiences.

Kindly shed some light on thisKanwar

Recently impressed by "few" lightweights on sub.

However resigned to the fact that no lightweight I've heard will truly acheive specs.

So it seems lightweight needs to be rated 1.5x times equivalent torroidial to get same performance...

E.g, to match strong torroidial that truly outputs 2kwpc @ 4 ohms 40-100hz, lightweight needs to be rated 3kwpc @ 4 ohms.

And have still seen those go into clipping, well before the 2x drivers per channel broke a sweat.. :lol:

\"When in Vegas, do as the vegasians do\".

More
12 years 11 months ago #13601 by saul
Kanwar,

i think it'd be fair to say for majority of people who just use amplifiers, lightweights offer all they need, so it's a no brainer. for example, live music application.

for some music types, this is not the case, and music material can be particularly strenuous on the amplifier, demanding sustained power output for more than a few seconds at the time.

In these situations, there are only a few amplifiers that have stood up to the tests so far - see recent thread on speaker plans regarding amp shoot out.

Also bear in mind, you haven't mentioned what areas you're enquiring about. For mids and tops, lightweight amps more than stand up to the rigours of any music type IMO

regarding sound quality, it seems this is largely dependant on output class, and overall quality.....? at the moment, Crown's class I and classic AB steal the show with quality on heavy sub application according to recent ears....

my 2p

• ΚΔΠШΔЯ
  • Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
More
12 years 11 months ago - 12 years 11 months ago #13603 by ΚΔΠШΔЯ

levyte357 wrote:

Kanwar wrote: So what is the preference in terms of sound quality such as handling of low frequencies LF according to your experiences.

Kindly shed some light on thisKanwar

Recently impressed by "few" lightweights on sub.

However resigned to the fact that no lightweight I've heard will truly acheive specs.

So it seems lightweight needs to be rated 1.5x times equivalent torroidial to get same performance...

E.g, to match strong torroidial that truly outputs 2kwpc @ 4 ohms 40-100hz, lightweight needs to be rated 3kwpc @ 4 ohms.

And have still seen those go into clipping, well before the 2x drivers per channel broke a sweat.. :lol:

Thanxz lev,

Toroidal amps are capable of giving huge amount of current when pushed to the limits whereas in SMPS amps when you try to draw more current than its rating, it starts limiting the current to safeguard itself, toroids being passive don't have any as such current limitation.

Only drawback is weight.

Kanwar
Last edit: 12 years 11 months ago by ΚΔΠШΔЯ.

• ΚΔΠШΔЯ
  • Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
More
12 years 11 months ago #13604 by ΚΔΠШΔЯ

saul wrote: Kanwar,

i think it'd be fair to say for majority of people who just use amplifiers, lightweights offer all they need, so it's a no brainer. for example, live music application.

for some music types, this is not the case, and music material can be particularly strenuous on the amplifier, demanding sustained power output for more than a few seconds at the time.

In these situations, there are only a few amplifiers that have stood up to the tests so far - see recent thread on speaker plans regarding amp shoot out.

Also bear in mind, you haven't mentioned what areas you're enquiring about. For mids and tops, lightweight amps more than stand up to the rigours of any music type IMO

regarding sound quality, it seems this is largely dependant on output class, and overall quality.....? at the moment, Crown's class I and classic AB steal the show with quality on heavy sub application according to recent ears....

my 2p

Saul,

yes as far as the "show must go on any how" and "ease of transportation" is solved, lightweight amps are prime choice. I have read that SP thread and Tweeter box says crown sounded the best of all.
My area of inquiry was especially subwoofer driving. Mids-Highs don't stress the amplifier PSU, the way low frequency grinds the juice out of PSU. Class of operation certainly has its merit but if designed correctly they do the real justice to reproduction of input signal.

Recently heard about the Roots preamp and all associated things with it, provoked my interest in new dimension......... smiley1

Kanwar

Time to create page: 0.241 seconds