file Cubo Kick 15

5 years 9 months ago #24266 by Cubo15
Replied by Cubo15 on topic Cubo Kick 15
Well, I wouldn't lose any sleep over it, although it isn't optimal as the 12FH500 is already a relatively low Sd driver. The best way to counteract this, as well as to make the Cubo Kick go as low as possible, is to keep them as low to the ground as possible, or stack multiple Cubo Kicks together.

Best regards Cubo

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

5 years 9 months ago #24272 by zaxder
Replied by zaxder on topic Cubo Kick 15
Thanks for the answer.
I decided to take my time and cut off 3.6 mm, so that it would end up your intended 45 cm width.
I also bought a UMIK-1, so measurements are to follow and I'll post them here, if people are interested.

5 years 5 months ago #24318 by REIER
Replied by REIER on topic Cubo Kick 15
Hello mr cubo! I do really appreciate the work you have been doing for the DIYcommunity around the world. I've seen your name and comments on many forums, and it is not a small contribution to say the least. So thank you!

I've started to plan out my project for the coming summer, and one of the main events is to add 2xcubo kicks to my 2xtham15. I am dead excited about this.
If there is time and money available after this, I will build two Omnitop12, and two more tham15. There will be lot of money involved next year, so I was hoping you could give me some advice for the most budget friendly drivers (under 100euros), that would still rock the kicks. I will try to use domestic providers, and I was hoping to get a super cheap but good suggestion around Fane, Eminence, P Audio or Celestion. These we have lots of around here. Both 12 and 15 inces, no problem.

And also, I would very much like to match the size with rest of the rig. What would happen if I change width to 56cm to match OT12 and depth to 55cm to match the thams?

5 years 5 months ago - 5 years 5 months ago #24319 by Cubo15
Well, you typically be looking for drivers with a high reference efficiency, starting at 3% up to 4.5%, Vas in the low 200 L area and Qes in the low 0.30 or lower. Some examples:

Oberton 15B450
B & C 15HP76
P-Audio E15-300S

Personally I think the Oberton is good match, with a relatively low price while of decent quality overall, it even has an aluminium chassis, as does the B&C, though neodymium has it's
price tag. If you really want to scrape the bottom of the barrel, the P. Audio does look good for what it is.

As for dimension adjustments, reducing the width is the lesser step, with a 10 Hz upward step for the reflex tuning and about 5 - 10 Hz for the horn. Reduce the depth (if you must) by quite literally sawing of the front of the cabinet, for a 10 - 15 Hz shift upwards in the horn output and about 5 Hz for the reflex. Because of the THAM15's relatively high crossover point, even combined that shouldn't be a real problem, one Cubo Kick should still keep up with two THAM15's.

Supposedly you could also use Cubo Kick 12 and make it 56 cm instead of 45 cm wide, it wouldn't effectively add or erase something from it's performance. In
that case, I would keep the original 50 cm depth. Coincidentally the Oberton 12B450 would be a good match, the P-Audio E12-300S not as much.

Best regards Cubo
The following user(s) said Thank You: capicva

5 years 5 months ago #24320 by REIER
Replied by REIER on topic Cubo Kick 15
Thank you for your answer! =D

5 years 2 months ago #24341 by ali4994
Replied by ali4994 on topic Cubo Kick 15
Don Cubo, if you were to pick for yourself, would you choose:
Oberton 15B450
Or
Kappa Pro 15A?
Many thanks for your continued support!

5 years 2 months ago #24342 by jay michael
Replied by jay michael on topic Cubo Kick 15
Greetings.  Mr Cubo could you please advice me on this.  I am trying to decide on a mid bass cabinet to play from around 80 to 200-ish to go between subs (xoc1 th18) and mains (currently Rcf4pro4001 but will replace soon).  Music interest primarily psytrance but will also be used for wide range of house, techno, bass music, dub world beat etc. outdoors at our festival (10years running).  Really looking for that high definition thick mid bass power which lends itself to the psytrance basslines and kick.  I Haven't heard a ton of big name brand sound systems (from Canada) but on a couple occasions heard psytrance on turbo sound and funkion1 systems and they really nailed that particular sound.  In my research it seems a fairly common mid cabinet that people say delivers this type of sound is the es18bph, its useful range is about 60-150ish hz. or so from what I have read.  I am leaning towards building about 4 of those based off of good reviews from people with similar music interests.   I have heard a few negative reviews however criticizing it as an old design and perhaps not very musical.  Your cubo kick 15, and mentioned kick 18  sound like a similar cabinet and the drivers are more easy for me to obtain being from Canada.  Could you comment on how similar or different your design is to the es18 as far as the nature of what I could expect for quality of sound, feeling of energy and output?   I care much more for accuracy of sound reproduction than power.   I like rich and warm sounds that you can feel yet still hold conversations on the dance floor. 

Could you shed any light on my questions please?  Thank you for sharing your gifts to the community.  

5 years 1 month ago #24348 by Cubo15
I think I have answered it here: forum.speakerplans.com/es18bph-vs-cubo-k...1024040.html#1024040

As for this topic: freespeakerplans.com/kunena/7-general-fo...musical-tastes#24340

I'm not a big fan of systems using 18" drivers for both the lower bass and upper kick, I'd rather use 12" or 15" drivers, from 80 Hz and up. Something like the TH18 or Cubo Sub for 80 Hz and below and either a double 12" full range reflex cabinet or kick cabinet from there on. The idea behind crossing kicks lower (200 Hz -ish) is to keep them as much out of the vocal range as possible, I also don't mind a bit of a dip at 250 Hz (to keep things from getting 'mushy').

I hope that helps, if not just continue in one of the topics you've started.

Cubo

4 years 11 months ago #24369 by redtag
Replied by redtag on topic Cubo Kick 15
Ok  I have 2 Cubo 15 extended loaded with kappa LF-2 and 2 cerwin-vega Prostax PS-12.. I want to upgrade this system with more kick. What should work great? Cubo 12 kick? Or anything else? And what driver? And crossover frequencies?
Attachments:

4 years 10 months ago #24376 by teknopaul
Replied by teknopaul on topic Cubo Kick 15
Hi Cubo15

Any advice on delays when using cubo kicks along side cubo subs?

I have 4 cubo12 subs and just built a single cubo12 kick to try it out. The driver is quite far back in the box. Without some delay 0.3 ms it sounded pretty rough.

I had a play tweaking the delays by ear at the venue but now I'm back at the ranch I'd like to calculate the delays properly for next time.

I'm not sure if I should be measuring from the middle of the driver (34cm back) or the front of the driver (22cm)

I've not noticed I need any delay for running the cubos subs with front loaded mids but I have steep crossovers.  Should I really have been adding delay for mids on top of cubo subs?

I was crossing the kick  at 100 - 250HZ on top of subs and mids also playing that frequency range.  Is that what is recommended? Or should I be using a 4way crossover?

BTW top design, quite an easy build despite my dire woodworking skills. :)  Much appreciated.