Cubo Kick 15

More
6 years 9 months ago - 6 years 9 months ago #24000 by ricosound
Replied by ricosound on topic Cubo Kick 15
yes I have noticed that foam gasket in the driver drawings used for fit check on my plans. I have also carver out a 1 m deep pocket ( Diameter as the main diam of the speaker ) on the baffle more to help me as a guide when placing it on the baffle.

I guess the rubber gasket will compress a bit but I still need to re-do the door piece as the connector port in the middle is just not in the right spot with any of the drivers...

kind of deciding of using B&C 12NW76...specs are similar to the B&C 12PLB76 which was mentioned earlier by others as a good choice for cubo kick12.
it fits well volume-wise , been reading good reviews on it on the internet used in horn applications. bit more powerful than the PLB76 and also a quite lightweight speaker being a neodymium model...
found them with a good price deal too

any thought on this choice ?

basically these kicks will sit on top of 4 cubo12" , so they will be tuned at 100Hz or so and higher....what do you think will be a good Xover level considering that on top of the kicks I will put a mid-top with one 12" driver ( B&C12mb700 ) and a 1" Horn ( B&C250DE comp driver ). this cab has been built already and used with Cubo15".
will need to run some trial tests but just asking for opinion

thanks!
Last edit: 6 years 9 months ago by ricosound.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Cubo15
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
6 years 9 months ago - 6 years 9 months ago #24004 by Cubo15
Replied by Cubo15 on topic Cubo Kick 15
The 12PLB76 is like the 12ND830, it will load both the reflex part and the horn well, giving the most even response. The 12NW76 is very (very) much a horn driver, so it will not be as good at the reflex part but will give the hardest kick and take the most power both mechanically and electrically.

If it's for keeping up with two Cubo 12, with each Cubo Kick stand alone, the 12PLB76 would be my first choice. If you're going to stack the kicks (at least two all the time) I would go with the 12NW76. Also because the 12NW76 has such a low Qts it might give a "in your face" kinda kick (less musical but more impressive).

If the 12"/ 1" top has a fixed crossover frequency (passive filter) between the 12" and 1", any power you take away from the combo (with Cubo Kick) will be mostly to relieve the 12". So the power distribution shifts towards the 1", meaning with the kick (and the same amount of power as before the kick), the 1" will see relatively more power. Secondly, as the excursion will reduce on the 12", it might or might not get problems with cooling. So I would test vigorously and try to keep the bandwidth of the kick relatively short. If it's an active top or you can easily re-adjust the crossover frequency, non of that is a problem.

Best regards Cubo
Last edit: 6 years 9 months ago by Cubo15.

More
6 years 9 months ago #24005 by ricosound
Hi Cubo

thanks for the reply and comments, very helpful.

The plan is actually to stack 2 cubo kick12 over 4 cubo12...these cubo12 will be stacked on top of each other , so 2 rows of 2 boxes then the 2 kicks on top and then SMT ( single 12" + 1 " ). All in one block of speakers.
The SMT speakers don't have a fixed Xover as I manage all frequencies through a drive rack

After a few days of comparing etc I ended up getting the 12NW76...there was also a discount at the sho ending a certain date so I wanted to catch that, your response arrived later.
Seems like an appropriate choice nonetheless , I look forward to hear them in action...should be able to finish the boxes in the next few weeks and have them ready for street block party in august.

Will need to do some testing with Xover etc and post some photos soon !

thanks again

More
6 years 7 months ago #24059 by josephxtian
Replied by josephxtian on topic Cubo Kick 15
Thank you for the great plans cubo, I'm going to start the build for the kick 15 in the next week. This will be my first build and the start of what will hopefully eventually become a full system. I'm currently just using some 1980s wharfedale speakers which cover the highs and mids alright, although when money allows these will also be replaced.

Just wondering if there are anymore opinions from anyone on using the Eminence Kappa Pro 15 or 15LF for this cabinet?

I've chosen this design over building a sub first because of the cheap(ish) cost of the recommended drivers, pro 15 is £130, pro 15LF is £150. Hence they won't be used with a sub until I've saved up enough for more drivers and amps. These won't be used commercially so the sound quality doesn't need to be the bees knees (although it would be nice).

Cheers all

More
6 years 7 months ago #24060 by ricosound
hello all !

would like to get some opinion on damping of Cubo kicks..

I have just completed 2 of these speakers ( thanks again Mr Cubo for the plans and suggestions ) and used them on an event with this set up
2 Cubo 15 + 2 Cubo 12 + 2 kick 12 + 2 SMT ( 1 12" driver + 1" comp driver ).

I totally forgot about the damping note on the plans page and now I am wondering if I should consider to apply some on the rear chamber.
We were fine with the overall sound but it was also the first time using them in this set up so I don't have much info yet to compare.

During the set of the first DJ ( 90's pop ) there were a few moment when I heard some sort of booming sound that I thought was coming from the kicks..although when our set started ( with change of music style into Jamaican style and with some EQ tweaking ) I didn't hear it anymore.
This made me think though about the damping part and if those sounds were created by the lack of damping in the speaker.

trying to gather some opinions, ideas and a few more gigs before doing more work on it

thanks !
Attachments:

More
6 years 7 months ago #24061 by ricosound
forgot to mention that kicks were xovered at 100 to 250Hz

• Cubo15
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
6 years 7 months ago - 6 years 7 months ago #24069 by Cubo15
@Josephxtian: If you're going to use it without subs first, I think it would be a good idea to use Cubo Kick with the Pro 15LF. If you close 3 of the 4 ports (preferably firmly from the outside), you will tune the reflex part to about 50 Hz. The Pro 15LF has the excursion to make that a happy endeavour.

However, you could also build a Cubo 15 Extended first (for 40 - 100 Hz) as it will also work great with the Pro 15LF and you could just swap drivers later, or just buy more Pro 15LF's and use them throughout the entire system.

@Ricosound: What changes did you make on the EQ?

If you're crossing higher then 175 Hz, I would use dampening material on all 4 walls opposing the driver and perhaps even a bit around the baffle. Just keep the flow from the driver and to the reflex ports relatively unhindered. It's been reported before, by another user that this is the way to keep unwanted sounds from happening.

Great picture!

Best regards Cubo
Last edit: 6 years 7 months ago by Cubo15.

More
6 years 7 months ago #24074 by ricosound
Thanks Cubo for the reply...I mostly tweaked the graphic EQ parameters in the Beringher DCX2496. I have used 1 ( in the NR field of the dcx where you can select how many adjustments you want to make across the freq spectrum ) band pass filter , in particular lowered the gain but I can't remember now at which freq in particular. It was few weeks ago so I need to look into the machine setting again.
That helped and for some reason when we went on after first DJ was playing a different ( than JA ) music it stopped...I have check again once I have some time before next gig at the end of the month. will share the insights
I have used them from 100 Hz ( were cubo 15 and 12 stops ) up to 250 Hz...by memory the gain reduction was on the upper part of this range.
good to know on the dampening materials, I will look into it

More
6 years 7 months ago #24075 by ricosound
one more thing...when you mean " all 4 walls opposing the driver " you mean the walls area behind the baffle right t? the walls not visible from the outside/front of the speaker...

• Cubo15
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
6 years 7 months ago #24079 by Cubo15
Yes, the walls inside the rear chamber (where the magnet is at). The 2 side walls, the rear wall/ access and the top wall/ ceiling, without blocking the port too much.

I'll await your next gig, for settings ;)

Best regards Cubo

Time to create page: 0.251 seconds