cubo 12

More
13 years 4 months ago #10683 by Cubo15
Replied by Cubo15 on topic cubo 12
Hi Josh,

That's an interesting choice, it should perform nicely up to about 200 Watts (HP at 40 Hz), just like a 12" unit would. After that (also dependant on music style) I would suggest watching the excursion, to see if there is head room for higher power handling.

Best regards

Cubo

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 years 4 months ago #10685 by CuttaBoi
Replied by CuttaBoi on topic cubo 12
Awesome! Would you be able to post up a simulation of 1, 2 & 4 speakers? Would be much appreciated.
smiley1 smiley20

Cheers

Cutta

More
13 years 4 months ago #10693 by CuttaBoi
Apologies for all the questions, but would I gain or lose anything in spl & response by building a dual version (I read your earlier post about a dual version, but didn't quite understand what you wrote (noob))

Tempted to get 1 or 2 duals built at weekend

Cheers smiley1

More
13 years 4 months ago #10710 by Cubo15
Building a double version wouldn't gain you either dB's or low end compared to two singles. Building a double would save you (at least) one panel. Another benefit would be, if you use a single panel to divide where the horn mouth comes together, the increased rigidity of that panel as the opposing forces of the drivers should cancel each other out.

Best regards

Cubo

More
13 years 4 months ago #10713 by CuttaBoi
Hi cubo, thanks for the reply. With regards to my other question, do you have any sims, or able to state roughly what responce to expect with the bp102 spl/frequency cut off.

Thanks in advance, and appreciate you taking the time to reply.
smiley1

More
13 years 4 months ago #10726 by Cubo15
A single would work from 50 Hz and up, a block of four from 45 Hz and up. A single will have the sensitivty of a regular 18" driver from 55 - 60 Hz and up, a block of four from 50 -55 Hz and up. See also my previous post about V-plating (work in progress).

Best regards

Cubo

More
13 years 4 months ago #10793 by CuttaBoi
Thanks for the responce mate, do you think I will be safe running it without a high pass filter, or at worst with a 25hz 12d/b low frequency filter?

:)

More
13 years 3 months ago #10802 by Cubo15
That mainly depends on the nature of the signal and the power being fed.

Many CD's and MP3's based songs these day's do not contain any rumble (= low frequency content that does not add to the music) like you could have with turntables picking up vibriations from the subs or dancefloor. The low cut at 25 Hz, 12/ dB octave would protect against this sort of rumble. Some songs do have this rumble anyway or deliberately have strong low frequency content.

A high pass at 40 Hz will, besides protection against rumble, also often offer a higher power handling. In case the song contains any or strong 30 - 40 Hz, the amplifier would send this to the driver, effectivly sending more heat instead of sound as Cubo 12 by design is very inefficient below 40 Hz converting it almost entirely to heat. This off course also goes for the 25 Hz and below signal.

If you listen at low power levels you could do without a high pass. Doing parties at medium power levels a 25 Hz low cut is there just in case but in it's place. For high power levels (i.e. 150 -300 Watt's for the mentioned 10") a 40 Hz low cut is needed to prevent over heating.

Besides the heating part there is the protection against overexcursion as these low frequencies require more excursion for a given SPL For optimum cooling a driver should have a moving coil. So if the driver is barely ever moving at high power levels one could decide to lower the low cut.

If you use a crossover solely for the Cubo 12's you can often get a low cut at or around 40 Hz, by linking the channels in series (mono signal).

Best regards

Cubo

More
13 years 3 months ago #11020 by CuttaBoi
smiley20

Dual loaded cubo 12 currently in the build process nearly got all pieces cut, will post up pics when done smiley16

More
13 years 3 months ago #11039 by singh
Replied by singh on topic cubo 12
Hi Guys, looking to build an active variant of the cubo12.

Looking to use a 12SB30, but wondering if to mount the driver facing into the cab, or out of the cab?

Would be looking to use it for home use, occasional parties in the house etc. Would be a starting point, looking to build a system as I go etc.

As a sdie note, does this sub only really come alive at higher volume levels, or is it likely to be perfectly fine playing at more "domestic" levels?

Time to create page: 0.242 seconds