cubo 12

More
3 years 10 months ago #24609 by anthonytutton
Replied by anthonytutton on topic cubo 12
Just here to share my cubo 12 kick project so far. Thanks for all the help I’ve had from this forum
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
3 years 10 months ago #24611 by Cubo15
Replied by Cubo15 on topic cubo 12

i am using this speaker but not enjoying the low end of it
it sounding like the speaker is bottoming out

That's entirely possible, nothing about the specs and description gives the impression that the 12-L500 has much Xmax or Xmech. Of course a steep 50 Hz high pass might help but really it's designed for use in a top cabinet doing 100 Hz and up, not 100 Hz and down in a bass cabinet. So if you you're not using a high pass that can help a lot but since Xmax is not given, I can't tell if it will be enough. If you're already using a high pass a beefier driver is probably the best option.

If you tell me where you're located I could advise you, one tip straight of the bat, look at drivers with 80 - 100 oz. magnets, 50 oz. magnets spell trouble (for PA). Nice looking set you've got though :)

@Anthony: Thanks for the pics. That looks like a small but powerful set you've got there.

Best regards Cubo

More
3 years 10 months ago #24612 by DJKimani
Replied by DJKimani on topic cubo 12

thanks for the info i will be working on chnging the speaker to an 80 oz magnet and ctay more in the 100hz and up

More
3 years 10 months ago #24613 by Cubo15
Replied by Cubo15 on topic cubo 12
Thanks for the pictures, that's looking good!

You could do it that way, or you could look for a driver with the right T/S-parameters (that would be the best approach ;)

More
3 years 9 months ago #24623 by DJKimani
Replied by DJKimani on topic cubo 12

More
3 years 9 months ago #24625 by ProsodySpeaks
Replied by ProsodySpeaks on topic cut list trouble
hi!!

doing my first speaker-build, and have reached some confusion already...

as shown in attached image the assembly diagrams show a piece at 245mm but the cut list does not.

the closest i see is 225mm, but surely 20mm is too much for tolerance?!!

or am i looking at everything totally wrong?!
Attachments:

More
3 years 9 months ago #24626 by Cubo15
Replied by Cubo15 on topic cut list trouble
@DJKimani: That is definitely a step up from your previous speaker. Xmax wise I think it's a good speaker if you're giving it around 300 W (considering the 40 Hz high pass), it might take a bit more but considering your previous Xmax problems I'm treating this conservatively.

@ProsodySpeaks: It's a bit confusing indeed although it's nothing to worry about, it's bracing after all. If you're able to cut it as 245 mm I would use that and clamp it on there (during gluing) like it needs to survive a nuclear blast.

Best regards Cubo

More
3 years 9 months ago #24627 by ProsodySpeaks
Replied by ProsodySpeaks on topic cut list trouble
@cubo15 thanks for getting back to me!

have decided to fill the gap with a little strip.

any chance i/we can edit the cut list or diagram? (i.e. if i edit can you replace?)

or maybe there's an intended confusion to create a barrier of entry?!

thanks again for sharing the design!

More
3 years 9 months ago #24628 by Cubo15
Replied by Cubo15 on topic cut list trouble
I'm not entirely sure what you mean. To be honest I've known the flaw to exist for a couple of years now, I think you're the second or third to mention it in 10 years, so it's not incredibly high on my to do list.

More
3 years 5 months ago #24717 by Kristoff
Replied by Kristoff on topic Extended horn flare bolt-on
Hi guys

New member here, I’m just about to start building some cubo 12 subs, kicks, and custom mid tops.

I have read in various dark corners of the internet, that adding around 30cm of horn path extension to a cubo sub will lower the frequency response by a useful amount.  So, I could maybe reach 42hz rather than 50hz.

I have the idea to build something like the attached images, where I have bolt on horn flare extensions added to two stacked cubo 12s (one inverted).

Is there any point to doing this?  Would it work?  I haven’t seen it done so I’m guessing maybe it simply wouldn’t make any difference with the cubo?

I have seen it done with some 12v tapped horn systems though...  and with high power rear loaded horns and even 4th order bandpass boxes (like the function one infrabass), so maybe it would work?

[img] lh3.googleusercontent.com/pw/ACtC-3ePfCz...7-h846-no?authuser=0 [img]

[img] lh3.googleusercontent.com/pw/ACtC-3e5nND...8-h805-no?authuser=0 [img]

Time to create page: 0.372 seconds