heart cubo 12

2 months 2 weeks ago #24461 by GG_
Replied by GG_ on topic cubo 12
Cubo 12  @ Amsterdam ADEV 2019
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Cubo15

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

2 months 1 week ago #24469 by teknopaul
Replied by teknopaul on topic cubo 12
Nice,

I'd like to share a  bit of cubo12 love too,  just built number 5.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Cubo15

2 weeks 1 day ago #24487 by zaxder
Replied by zaxder on topic cubo 12
Hi mr. Cubo. 
I'm doing a high efficiency portable "boombox" powered with a LiFePO4 battery, and I thought about getting the low end from a cubo12. My driver of choice is RCF MB12N251, which seems to be a good driver for the box. 
  • Resonance frequency: 50 Hz
  • DC resistance: 5.1 Ohms
  • Mechanical factor: 5.4
  • Electrical factor: 0.36
  • Total factor: 0.34
  • BL Factor: 15 Tm
  • Effective Moving Mass: 49 g
  • Equivalent Cas air load: 83 litres
  • Effective piston area: 0.053 sq m
  • Max. linear excursion (mathematical): 4.8 mm
  • Voice - coil inductance @ 1kHz: 1.3 mH
  • Half-space efficiency: 2.70%
My question is, how low it would go. I think 40 Hz is the dream (with a little EQ maybe), given that I'm only gonna power it with a max of 50-70 watts. 

Then I'm gonna cross over to the same driver but in either a sealed or ported box and lastly to a B&C DE250. I hope it's gonna work! 

Thanks for your big contribution! 

2 weeks 1 day ago #24488 by Cubo15
Replied by Cubo15 on topic cubo 12
Hi Zaxder,

Although it's possible to EQ a Cubo 12 down to 40 Hz, you'll need a lot of EQ and thus a lot of power. I would consider building a Cubo 12 and using a 50 Hz high pass filter (going for maximum output) or building a Cubo 12 Mod (about 3 dB less output) but feasible down to 40 Hz, with a 40 Hz high pass filter. That way, going for 50 Hz strife's for the biggest impact and wow-factor from a small cabinet, while going for 40 Hz gives a warmer and more all round sound.  Either way, I would also consider building the Cubo out of 9 - 12 mm Baltic birch, if it's ever only going to get 50 - 75 Watt.

The RCF MB12N251 is an excellent driver for boombox purposes. I would put it in a closed cabinet and cross it at 80 - 100 Hz for sound quality, or put it in a ported cabinet tuned to roughly 60 Hz and overlap it with the Cubo in the 60 - 100 Hz frequency range for maximum output.

Best regards Cubo