cubo 12

More
7 years 4 months ago #23651 by Cubo15
Replied by Cubo15 on topic cubo 12
@Lonelybabe69:: You could build the stiffener like TDA audio. The stiffer the bottom panel is, the better. Locally doubling of thickness, locally increases the stiffness of the panel up to eight-fold, compared to a panel of single thickness. So the bigger the double panel is, the better but 18 mm overall will compensate for some, if not all of the loss.

@Bigden: Are you gonna use a grill, or use them as they are?

Best regards

Cubo

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
7 years 4 months ago #23653 by Bigden
Replied by Bigden on topic cubo 12
Hey Cubo,
Yep, working on grills now. Then need to make some covers. I used Duratex paint on these & was really pleased how easy the Duratex was to use. Really happy with how the finish turned out. I don't have any other subs, so I have nothing to compare to, but these things really rattle the house! I plan to use them with my 4 piece rock band, we play mostly 60's rock so I'm pretty hopeful that just the two subs will deliver the low end we need. I plan to run them from 40-100hz. Our next gig isn't until New Year's Eve, so they will make their debut then.

Thanks for some great designs & a great website too.

Dennis

More
7 years 4 months ago #23658 by innsanes
Replied by innsanes on topic cubo 12
@bigden

I'm got my drivers ready and faital pro 12 hp1020. Looking to build a set like yours. Have you tried it on hip hop or edm? I know your in a rock band just wondering if you test it on different genre music. i'm looking for the clean chest thump type bass.

@cubo

What type of eqing and crossover is recommended? Do you recommend having them side by side with a V plate kind of like BFM tuba design layout?
Attachments:

More
7 years 4 months ago #23666 by Cubo15
High pass at 40 - 50 Hz, low pass at 100 - 110 Hz. V-plating doesn't do very much for 2 times singles (I think there's a measurement I posted in this thread), I would rather build Cubo 212's (doubles), with the mouths combined.

For trap and similar sound hip hop beats (like some Lil Wayne songs for example) I'd rather have 30 Hz and up, whilst most hip hop will sound decent enough with 40 Hz an up. Drop it like it's hot doesn't do much below 50 Hz IIRC.

The 12HP1020 isn't meant as a sub driver, it will work but is likely to operate on it's edge whilst doing so. It will be good for 40 Hz and up instead, or excellent for 50 Hz and up.

Best regards

Cubo

More
7 years 4 months ago #23677 by Bigden
Replied by Bigden on topic cubo 12
Well the Cubo 12 is not designed to go very low, so it all depends on how much low content the music has. If I was doing hip hop or especially EDM, I don't think a 12 would be my first choice. I don't really know how low my Cubo 12s go, some say they go into the 40s, others say not much below 50. I don't have a way to measure mine & don't have any other subs to compare to. Still they sound like subs to me and sure do rattle the stuff in my basement when I turn them up! Whatever they do, they seem to do it very well. But I haven't really given them a good workout yet either. I will say this, they are small. If I built some more I would seriously consider building a double. Stood upright, you would have the same foot-print, a better height to pole-mount a top, and still be small enough to manage.

More
7 years 4 months ago #23678 by innsanes
Replied by innsanes on topic cubo 12
Not looking to go low. Just something portable with high spl . I need it to be louder than your average active 18 bass reflex such as qsc kw181 or ev etx sp18. I will build a pair

More
7 years 3 months ago #23701 by namunamu
Replied by namunamu on topic cubo 12
Hey guys,

Thanks again Cubo for this cool design.
I'm new here, in the process of building 2 cubo 12. Keeping it cheap since I won't be needing tremendous SPL, I'll be using the box speaker 12 .
I've read that some of you use them for a mobile system, I'm curious, what are you using on top of them ? (drivers, plans...) I'm thinking of a sealed box for mids and a simple tweeter box. Any input is appreciated.

Of course, I'll wait to hear how they sound before taking a decision :)

More
7 years 3 months ago #23715 by Cubo15
I've used closed 8"/1" coaxes as tops. However for every 90 Watts the Cubo 12 receives, the 8" top needed 200 - 250 W to keep up.

I've also tested a SoundBoks (battery powered 2 x 10") that, with it's build in 2 x 42 W amplifer, will keep up with 2 of the above mentioned Cubo 12's: soundboks.com/

But basically anything that gets down to a solid 100 Hz should work.

Best regards

Cubo

More
7 years 2 months ago #23779 by ikabod88
Replied by ikabod88 on topic cubo 12

Cubo15 wrote: High pass at 40 - 50 Hz, low pass at 100 - 110 Hz. V-plating doesn't do very much for 2 times singles (I think there's a measurement I posted in this thread), I would rather build Cubo 212's (doubles), with the mouths combined.

For trap and similar sound hip hop beats (like some Lil Wayne songs for example) I'd rather have 30 Hz and up, whilst most hip hop will sound decent enough with 40 Hz an up. Drop it like it's hot doesn't do much below 50 Hz IIRC.

The 12HP1020 isn't meant as a sub driver, it will work but is likely to operate on it's edge whilst doing so. It will be good for 40 Hz and up instead, or excellent for 50 Hz and up.

Best regards

Cubo

May I know which among the Faital Pro's 12" would be the best driver for CUBO 12?

More
7 years 2 months ago #23782 by Cubo15
Depends on how much power you have available and whether you would like neo or ferrite magnets. Basically the 12FH500, 510 and 520 for low to medium power and the 12HP1010 or 1020 for medium to high power.

Best regards

Cubo

Time to create page: 0.406 seconds