cubo 12

More
9 years 4 months ago #22356 by bretflute
Replied by bretflute on topic cubo 12
hi
im new here....
i love building speakers especially small ones that rock....
this cubo 12 looks like the ticket
but i cant find the plans on the plans page
only the cubos 15,18,and 21
ive been known to overlook obvious things before(ask my GF or daughter!!! hahaha)
but i did a pretty thourough search
and just cant seem to find it....
can you throw me a bone here???
thanks from sunny sao paulo
bret

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
9 years 4 months ago #22361 by Cubo15
Replied by Cubo15 on topic cubo 12

More
9 years 4 months ago #22362 by bretflute
Replied by bretflute on topic cubo 12
thanks!!!
cant wait to get started!!!

More
9 years 4 months ago #22426 by clausa
Replied by clausa on topic cubo 12
Hi,

So, what drivers are you using? (Re: www.freespeakerplans.com/kunena/38-hoste...o-12?start=150#21798 )

My current mobile 12V setup consists of a Boominator (classic) and a Cubo 18 (Fane 18XB) driven by a Pioneer GM-D8604 amp.
Due to portability 'issues' I'm considering to replace the Cubo 18 with 4x Cubo 12.

Any recommendations on 10" or 12" drivers in the sweet-spot between high sensitivity (as we are battery powered) and price.

Thanks for your time.

/Claus

More
9 years 4 months ago #22431 by pedrojc10
Replied by pedrojc10 on topic cubo 12
Hello,
I am using B&C 12NW100 and it works very well. Of course CUBO 12 will not go deeper than CUBO 18 even if you replace it for four of the first one. However, my CUBO 12 (a pair) makes my whole house vibrate.
I was thinking to do two CUBO 12 with 12SW1300Nd (Beyma) which looks excellent. You could use this driver also.
In the link of the post sent by Cubo 15 you can get a table with more drivers and how they work in cubo 12, only you have to do scroll to the end. If you prefer click here:
www.freespeakerplans.com/bass-cabinets/14-cubo-12
Best regards,
Pedro

More
9 years 4 months ago - 9 years 4 months ago #22441 by Cubo15

Due to portability 'issues' I'm considering to replace the Cubo 18 with 4x Cubo 12

What are your portability issues, maybe there is another way.

I would look for ferrite mid bass drivers with n0 beyond 2.3 % (like the colossus 12MB, 12BM or 12SB30). These drivers weight typically around 8 kg and costing around 150 euro. The neodymium versions of these drivers are typically around 4 kg, if weight is an issue.

Best regards

Cubo
Last edit: 9 years 4 months ago by Cubo15.

More
9 years 3 months ago #22451 by clausa
Replied by clausa on topic cubo 12
Hi

I'll try to describe the use case and my "requirements" below.

The system is going to be used outdoor (free field) - mainly on festival camp sites. We are 100% battery and solar powered - 12V.
Amp is a Class D (Pioneer GM-D8604). "Top" is currently a Boominator Classic. We have a MaxAmp ( maxamp.nl/en/ ) to drive the Boominator when 'partymode' is off.

Requirements for the subsystem (in no particular order):

* High sensitivity: Need the get the most from amp/batteries
* Mobility: Should be easy to transport. Multiple smaller cabs are easier to carry around and fit in cars (during transportation) compared to one or two bigger cabs. (we don't care too much about total weight).
* Fair price: Everything is relative but lets see how far we can get on a 600€ budget (drivers only)

Let me know if additional info is needed.

PS: I do have a miniDSP around in case that could somehow help doing magic ;-)

/Claus

More
9 years 3 months ago #22480 by Cubo15
2 x Cubo 18 stacked vs 4 x Cubo 12 stacked, will have about the same sensitivity from 50 Hz and up. Between ~37 - 50 Hz, the Cubo 18's will have more output. There's a chance that the Cubo 12 will sound better in the 80 - 125 Hz range as the Cubo 18, depending on the driver used. As a rule of thumb, Cubo 18 more emphasis on the low end, Cubo 12 more emphasis on the kick, there are exceptions tho.

As the Pioneer has about 2 x 300 W @ 4 ohm bridged, you're likely either looking for two 4 ohm 18" or four, 4 to 8 ohm 12".
Price range wise I would look for 4 x 12SB30 from PD or 12W700 from 18Sound. 18" wise I would stick with the Fane 18XB which would be the most cost effective.

You could build with 7 ply, 18 mm poplar in this amplifier range. Takes 10 kg / 22 lbs. off per Cubo 18.

Best regards

Cubo

More
9 years 1 month ago #22628 by Ganon
Replied by Ganon on topic cubo 12
Hi there.
First of all, thanks for such an amazing build!

I am looking at some second hand rcf drivers, one of em fits into the requirements of the cubo 12, but i cant seem to find any info on the other, only that its either 97db or 98db.
I am talking about the RCF L12P300 (specs found) and the RCF LF12G250 (specs missing).
Does anyone have any knowlegde of these drivers?
Does any of these make any sense in a Cubo 12, or should i just go for the fane 12-300 or the Dayton Audio Pa310-8.

The plan is fitting the cubo 12 on the front of my bike, and attach some speaker on top, maybe one on the back of the bike aswell, so it going to play outside, with 12v power, and with limited Watt.

Would be happy if i could get some help on the project.:)

best regards from Ricki. And thanks.

Ps. on the list of speakers for the cubo 12, it says very high price performance ratio at the PD driver, should it be considerd as you get most performance for the price or the other way?
When the Dayton is way cheaper then the PD.

The bike.

More
9 years 4 weeks ago #22645 by Cubo15
I think the 12G250 is used in the Art 312 top. If it's good in such a top, it's good in a Cubo 12. Not as good as the 12P300 (as that one is more of a bass only driver) but as this is low power it probably will do just as well. If you ever gonna use more power (i.e. from a wall socket) the P300 would be my first choice. If not, all the other 12" named will do about as well.

Hanging the Cubo 12 close to the ground will give you the highest sensitivity. If you can park your bike close to a solid wall, that will raise sensitivity even further. You could balance it, with the batteries and such (to an equivalent weight) on the other side (like a bicycle bag used for distributing news papers). Second best would be below the SX200.

The 12SB30 used to be a lot cheaper, today it would be a high, price performance ratio just like the Dayton. Quality wise I grade the 12SB30 higher than the Dayton, but for the price of the Dayton nowadays you'll be hard pressed to find anything better.

I like your system, my first try was a lot more complicated and heavy. I think that the addition of a single Cubo 12 will upgrade the "feel" of the system quite a bit.

Best regards

Cubo

Time to create page: 0.308 seconds