heart Simple Mid-Top SMT 212

11 years 11 months ago #17413 by cravings
Replied by cravings on topic Simple Mid-Top SMT 212
with just 2 of the 4 ports? did you do anything scientific to work it out, or just went for it? how do you think they sound?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

11 years 11 months ago #17414 by bitzo
Replied by bitzo on topic Simple Mid-Top SMT 212
one single have 2 port. Same tune of one double. Calculated using my akabak sim. My version have quarter circular port. Why? because i like it more.
I use them from 200 to 1khz, I tested still 1,5khz but start to distort a bit. They sound good, no too much spl but pretty smooth, to me is in the middle between a full horn and a sealed chamber. They drops around 120hz but they haven't an aggressive kick.
The following user(s) said Thank You: bjm362

11 years 11 months ago #17415 by cravings
cool, nice one. good info. i'd be hoping to use mine from about 150hz up to 1.2khz or so. what size circular ports did you settle on?

11 years 11 months ago #17430 by COZY PILLOW
Replied by COZY PILLOW on topic Simple Mid-Top SMT 212
i spoke with stipe earlier this year about making single 12" with comps and he advised me that the ports would be excatly half of the original drawing.

Umnfortunately, I haven't had time to build them yet but I will get round to it eventually.

They are heavy enough with 2 PDN12.SB30's and 2 Fane CD280's made of 15mm Birch Ply. if your thinking of using 18mm the will probably be a two man lift.

Good luck with your build. smiley20

11 years 11 months ago #17585 by cravings
cut all the wood (well, mdf) today. they really are quite simple. looking forward to assembling them tomorrow... need to think about handles first though..

11 years 11 months ago #17604 by cravings
bit rough and scruffy but first one is together anyway....

i.imgur.com/EKGdg.jpg?1

11 years 10 months ago #18024 by Ollie_N
Replied by Ollie_N on topic Simple Mid-Top SMT 212
Hey people! I'm new on this site, just wondered if the single 12 inch version could be used with a 1.4" p.audio compression driver on one of the 18 sound plastic 1.4 horns, many thanks cheers

11 years 10 months ago #18151 by cravings

Ollie_N wrote: Hey people! I'm new on this site, just wondered if the single 12 inch version could be used with a 1.4" p.audio compression driver on one of the 18 sound plastic 1.4 horns, many thanks cheers

well that's what i'm doing.. except with p-audio horns in my case. preneo 740 on ph305 horns. haven't done anything to this build in a while though.. have the 2 boxes together, need to fill and sand, fit speakon dish, and work out what i'm going to do about grills.

11 years 10 months ago #18193 by cravings
http://i.imgur.com/hZkV9.jpg?1

filled and sanded and rounded over... bit rough. but they'll do. gonna slap some paint on them tomorrow, and think about grills.

11 years 10 months ago #18194 by bee