1U amp for tops

More
15 years 9 months ago #3001 by deadbeat
Replied by deadbeat on topic 1U amp for tops

mookieman wrote: hi

looking for a 1u amp to run 2 x 50w compression horns was looking at the carlsbro powerline cp200 has anyone got one ,are they any good?

also is there any other 1U amps out there for under £150
cheers

Stay tropical gents,

I would recommend an amp capable of 200Wpc or higher, plenty headroom there for your needs.

Now for recommendations. I did a bit of research a while back on 1U amps, and here's the list I compiled. Out of these, only the Ashly and the Chevin are the ones I've used in the past, though a Hi-Fi amp (Naka) is powering my high end nowadays. Prices may not be up to date (and are rough guides), and probably have dropped for the first two, especially second hand. Both the Ashly and Chevin were great amps, quite clean (personally preferred the Ashly though this is different ears, really).

Chevin research A500 - GBP500
Ashly SRA-4150 (or any other in the range) - GBP400
ART SLA
McGregor SA200

Last two have prices that vary a bit, they're around 100-200 quid new.
To the original list, i'd like to add:

Samson Servo (price depends on how much headroom you want, really)
Carver PM300

Beranek\'s law
\'bits of ply round a driver\'

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 years 9 months ago #3006 by static age
Replied by static age on topic 1U amp for tops

mookieman wrote:

Static Age wrote: back to the original subject. the Audiohead AH700 is a very good amp for runing compression drivers.

350 watt per channel at 4ohm, not availble new anymore but can be bought for under £100 second hand. got mine on ebay for £70.

thanks mate there is a bit of a techy rant going on this thread

whats the cp200 like anyone????????

your thread has been totaly hijacked, the guys on here are very polite & helpful so dont think this kind of thing happens all of the time.

might be worth starting a new thread about your original topic.

I woke up. The pain and sickness all over me like an animal. Then I realized what it was. The music coming up from the floor was our old friend, Ludwig Van, and the dreaded Ninth Symphony.

More
15 years 9 months ago #3007 by tony.a.s.s.
Replied by tony.a.s.s. on topic 1U amp for tops

jsg wrote:

Tony.A.S.S. wrote: JSG, what is it that I did or do. I'm interested in the comparison.

You sell people what they want to buy. It's called business.

JSG. You're right about the selling, but I think people here have picked up on the fact that great claims seem to be aimed towards things that may not be so great. The wording in the marketing are a dead give away. I looked at the website last night, which I thought was a really good website, but in my opinion, aimes at extracting moneyfrom peoplewho don't or can't tell the difference between good and bad gear. There will always be a market for this, fortunately, we are not all compelled to go with it.
Sorry for the off topic content. No more from me in this thread.

Peace and goodwill to all speaker builders

More
15 years 9 months ago #3204 by nickyburnell
Replied by nickyburnell on topic 1U amp for tops
Again! Matrix Vector 350.

More
15 years 8 months ago #3835 by deadbeat
Seems like he's at it again...

www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?s...page=25&pagenumber=1

New market - 'audiophiles' [img]smileys/smiley36.gif[/img]

Beranek\'s law

• ginger_biscuit69
More
15 years 8 months ago #3840 by ginger_biscuit69
Replied by ginger_biscuit69 on topic 1U amp for tops
love how they are also picking him to pieces, straight away knew where his OEM supplier was, and have so far out spoken him on most componentry matters.

nothing like an experienced electrical engineer to put people in their places!

More
15 years 8 months ago #3841 by bitzo
Replied by bitzo on topic 1U amp for tops
Interesting...this class D is a fake ok, but I red all the thread on dyaudio.com and there's another link www.aussieamplifiers.com/nxv500.htm
What do you think about it?
He provide the powersupply ( www.aussieamplifiers.com/psu.htm ) but not the transformer, and the protection ( www.aussieamplifiers.com/lsp1.htm ).

Edited by: bitzo

More
15 years 8 months ago #3842 by deadbeat
Aussie amp modules are in a league on their own compared to those class-d designs. Don't own one, but have heard the two lower powered ones.

Class-d:
'
As regards Aussieamplifiers he was contacted to design power amplifier modules in conjunction with ourselves. '

</font>
Sure, they may use the same ICs, but I gauge that the difference between companies/designs is large.

Beranek\'s law

More
15 years 8 months ago #3844 by class d
Replied by class d on topic 1U amp for tops
This site just amazes me all like silly childrentrying to be clever and spiteful butnever ever get a singlefact correct.

Aussieamplifiers can no longer manufacture his main products because he simply does not have a supplier.

He certainly does not use the same components as us because5 of them areexclusively ours and we will not supply.

Last time you had to apologise for misinformation here we go again

• ginger_biscuit69
More
15 years 8 months ago #3846 by ginger_biscuit69
Replied by ginger_biscuit69 on topic 1U amp for tops
do you have a stall at plasa this year class D? will be there for a few days, could meetup and discuss your products in more detail

Time to create page: 0.318 seconds