Roots Lightweight Amp Shootout Southall May 2011

• levyte357
  • Topic Author
More
12 years 11 months ago #13346 by levyte357
Replied by levyte357 on topic Roots Lightweight Amp Shootout Southall May 2011

Pasi wrote: Went with quite heavy basslines down to 24Hz which is -3dB point for these boxes. With pretty much full power. Lab wasn't able to do that low but Matrix did and kept the sound in one package. And don't worry about management systems, they can do what they are supposed to do.

Rumour
has it, there maybe another Roots lightweight shootout in 3 months, this time with MC2, FFA, Labgruppen, Camco also present.

So hopefully next time, there will be "production" Matrix model present to mix it with the big boys again.

\"When in Vegas, do as the vegasians do\".
The topic has been locked.
More
12 years 11 months ago #13347 by Pasi

levyte357 wrote:
Rumour
has it, there maybe another Roots lightweight shootout in 3 months, this time with MC2, FFA, Labgruppen, Camco also present.

So hopefully next time, there will be "production" Matrix model present to mix it with the big boys again.

I'd love to see and hear that test.

What comes to Matrix, no idea and to be honest i don't even care. That is 100% their business what they want to do.
  • heathrow_b_line
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
12 years 11 months ago #13350 by heathrow_b_line
Replied by heathrow_b_line on topic Roots Lightweight Amp Shootout Southall May 2011
you will be impressed with the ffa on bass lev

ask ligwa to bring some of his amps next time

Produce a killer sound. Take no prisoners.
  • levyte357
  • Topic Author
More
12 years 11 months ago #13351 by levyte357

Heathrow_B_Line wrote: you will be impressed with the ffa on bass lev

Can well believe that now..

I'm expecting all the quality high power lightweights, to perform well on 4 ohm stereo.

Problem is as you said, "Most" guys with scoops, will not spend £2k just to drive 4x subs.

Maybe the reference torroidial next time should be 2x Prolines in Bridge, running a pair of scoops each.. :lol:

More
12 years 11 months ago #13353 by nickyburnell
Replied by nickyburnell on topic Roots Lightweight Amp Shootout Southall May 2011

levyte357 wrote:

Heathrow_B_Line wrote: you will be impressed with the ffa on bass lev

Can well believe that now..

I'm expecting all the quality high power lightweights, to perform well on 4 ohm stereo.

Problem is as you said, "Most" guys with scoops, will not spend £2k just to drive 4x subs.

Maybe the reference torroidial next time should be 2x Prolines in Bridge, running a pair of scoops each.. :lol:

No maybe at all. 100% performance, 3 year warranty, 65% resale value at end of warranty.
Also, if one did go down mid gig, you could un bridge and run all four scoops in an emergency.
900 quid, new, for that much proven power.
  • levyte357
  • Topic Author
More
12 years 11 months ago #13357 by levyte357

nickyburnell wrote: No maybe at all. 100% performance, 3 year warranty, 65% resale value at end of warranty.
Also, if one did go down mid gig, you could un bridge and run all four scoops in an emergency.
900 quid, new, for that much proven power.

Ah yes, on stiff 13A mains supply (like last Sunday), those 2x heavy, bridge monsters driving 4x scoops, will eat many lightweights in SPL, warmth, sub depth for approx 50% of the cost new.

Question is, what would performance be like on possibly saggy mains?

More
12 years 11 months ago #13360 by david
Maybe the reference torroidial next time should be 2x Prolines in Bridge, running a pair of scoops each.. :lol: [/quote]

for whats worth, i have tried a "d.i.y." 4 channels amp (500w x 4) vs a proel hpd3000 (750w x 4), the d.i.y./torroidal one was much much better compared to the lightweight class d proel,better sound and more power, but its also 35kg vs 12kg.
i still have my pro & cc series crest audio, but i can run 6 x hogs, 4 x es18-bph, 4 midtops with 35kg of amps(1 x ffa1000, 1 x crest lt2000, 1 x proel hpd3000)
More
12 years 11 months ago #13361 by Sinfinity
Replied by Sinfinity on topic Roots Lightweight Amp Shootout Southall May 2011
Good evening all.

Thankyou Lev for amending the post.

I cant get a reply from Andy for you until he has the amp back, it will be with him early part of next week. I was waiting for the feedback from him before posting, but wish to keep you all in the loop.

We are thankfull of the chance to put a non production model ( hence the tape ) into an environment that truly tests it. I think the event on Sunday was a brilliant test, without which we would not be able to make the amps stronger.

I will be able to post more about the amp as soon as Andy has had a look at it.
The other amp is still working, running warm ( as any class AB would ) and sounding fine smiley1 . I was confident enough in it that I took it on a 450 mile round trip for testing yesterday.

Will report more when I know more.

In the meantime my thanks once again to the guys that put the effort into the event and the people that took the time to travel there.

Cheers
Matt
More
12 years 11 months ago #13363 by NITZ V1505
Replied by NITZ V1505 on topic Roots Lightweight Amp Shootout Southall May 2011
smiley32 smiley20
Im sure Andy will sort it !!!!!!! Big up!!!!!!
  • levyte357
  • Topic Author
More
12 years 11 months ago #13366 by levyte357

Sinfinity wrote: We are thankfull of the chance to put a non production model ( hence the tape ) into an environment that truly tests it. I think the event on Sunday was a brilliant test, without which we would not be able to make the amps stronger.

I will be able to post more about the amp as soon as Andy has had a look at it.

smiley32

Moderators: levyte357
Time to create page: 0.231 seconds