Pre-Amp + Lightweight amp combo

More
13 years 3 months ago #10922 by kpb
Replied by kpb on topic Pre-Amp + Lightweight amp combo
if your preamp is jts new range 'annihilator'.. the sub section is 25db higher than the others... so beware ! for indication, we use sub level pots at 9 o'clock when all others are at 12' . I would look in that way.
I don't think separate sub and upper bass/mid/hi is good as you will rise this sub boost again.. and expose yourself to phase problems.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 years 3 months ago #10926 by sil
Replied by sil on topic Pre-Amp + Lightweight amp combo
yes becart, I see what you mean, that's the way I have to use mine too, I also have to lower the bass knob under the parametric.

I just don't understand the second part of your post, do you mean linking upmid+mid+top together results in a summed output lower than if they're separate?

More
13 years 3 months ago #10935 by kpb
exactly. tape out 10db lower than separate ways.

More
13 years 3 months ago #11085 by sil
Replied by sil on topic Pre-Amp + Lightweight amp combo

levyte357 wrote:

sil wrote: Lev, thanks for clearing some points...

It's US6 not UA6, got mine 2 years ago, they were JTS new range so I supose is still selling them...

I think the sensitivity can be adjusted between 3 values (I think 0.7, 1 and 1.4). Which would be the best for sub?Could I just use the limiters on the DCX for the sub too then?

Personally would use 1.4V sensitivity, as that allows hotter signal from pre-amp, and in theory better signal to noise ratio.

I did change it to 1.4V as advised and it really gave me more control, I can now push the bass further in the preamp and get a cleaner sound. OBF were the last ones to come over and they were happy with the sound, so another achievement with superscooper+v18!

More
12 years 11 months ago #13683 by tre4u2nv
Replied by tre4u2nv on topic Pre-Amp + Lightweight amp combo
warior express smiley32

IT TAKES ALLSORTS

• levyte357
  • Topic Author
More
12 years 11 months ago #13684 by levyte357
Replied by levyte357 on topic Pre-Amp + Lightweight amp combo

kpb wrote: if your preamp is jts new range 'annihilator'.. the sub section is 25db higher than the others... so beware ! for indication, we use sub level pots at 9 o'clock when all others are at 12' . I would look in that way.

Is the same even with pro amp 2000 :shock:

\"When in Vegas, do as the vegasians do\".

More
12 years 11 months ago #13699 by kpb
pic clearer than words. my annihilator pre as received. hope this helps some, tubbys pre are as usual set to cross at higher frequencies than others..
if needed, could put the old 3ways pic too, sure you would see the difference in signal quality.
for the gap around 300hz, call tubbz smiley36

just a thing, every knobs (gain, GEQ, PEQ) set at 12". blue line is tape out..

More
12 years 8 months ago #14713 by luton_soundman
Replied by luton_soundman on topic Pre-Amp + Lightweight amp combo
any more experiences with lightweight amp and preamp? heard some lightweights sound very powerfull but at the southall amp test directly comparing them some seemed to not do much at all.... like the QSC PL380 for example

More
12 years 8 months ago #14733 by qss
Replied by qss on topic Pre-Amp + Lightweight amp combo

luton_soundman wrote: any more experiences with lightweight amp and preamp? heard some lightweights sound very powerfull but at the southall amp test directly comparing them some seemed to not do much at all.... like the QSC PL380 for example

With lightweight amps you need to have a lot of headroom on subs to avoid clipping. So a pl380 @ 4ohms is 2500w @ 1khz which equates to around 2000w @ 20hz this is not enough to handle 2 subs per side with 1000w 8ohm drivers which was the case in southall. but use them on 2 x 4 ohm drivers per side and they will rock the place,

More
12 years 8 months ago #14734 by qss
Replied by qss on topic Pre-Amp + Lightweight amp combo
I use a PL236 in bridge mode to drive 2 subs with Fane 1000w drivers and they rock.

Moderators: levyte357
Time to create page: 0.290 seconds