Pre-Amp + Lightweight amp combo

More
13 years 4 months ago #10562 by Sinfinity
Replied by Sinfinity on topic Pre-Amp + Lightweight amp combo
Double Post

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 years 4 months ago #10563 by Sinfinity
Replied by Sinfinity on topic Pre-Amp + Lightweight amp combo
Feb sounds good smiley20

More
13 years 4 months ago #10572 by bee

More
13 years 3 months ago #10853 by sil
Replied by sil on topic Pre-Amp + Lightweight amp combo
From the start, I've been using a JTS switchmode UA6(6200W) which powers 4 scoops (v18-1000) with JTS 4way

I've been quite impressed with the power it can deliver, so have been soundman like Aba, Jah Militant and King Alpha, who have played on the system, and made the venue shake to its foundations.

One thing tough, If I set the gain controls to max position on the amp, I can hardly push the preamp knob and have to be really careful not to distort the signal.
I think this is due to the rest of my system not being up to par with the scoops, so I have to set master out high enough for kick+mid+top and have to keep the sub control way down.

Also, when using the amp gain set at 1/3, I notice that it clips early and don't quite understand why:
-Is it just because of it being on a 13A socket?
-Is it because I might be sending a signal too hot from the preamp?

So, I am now improving the rest of the sound:
3x reflex kick with Fane 15-600 LF (Lev, is it worthy to get the PRO version instead the regular one?)
2x MT121 with PD123ER and BMS4550
I will get Matrix XT3000G for kick and mid (one channel at 2r and another at 4r) and XT800 for tops
Later will get a dedicated X2000 for mids and build more boxes...

I will be using these also with a DCX between the preamp for kick+mid+top and plug the sub straight from preamp.

I know some things a bit OT, but hopefully in some time I'll be able to give some more feedback.

• levyte357
  • Topic Author
More
13 years 3 months ago #10857 by levyte357
Replied by levyte357 on topic Pre-Amp + Lightweight amp combo

sil wrote: From the start, I've been using a JTS switchmode UA6(6200W) which powers 4 scoops (v18-1000) with JTS 4way

I've been quite impressed with the power it can deliver, so have been soundman like Aba, Jah Militant and King Alpha, who have played on the system, and made the venue shake to its foundations.

smiley32

Isnt the switchmode version called "US6" ?
Heard good things about this amp, is JTS still selling them?

sil wrote: One thing tough, If I set the gain controls to max position on the amp, I can hardly push the preamp knob and have to be really careful not to distort the signal.
I think this is due to the rest of my system not being up to par with the scoops, so I have to set master out high enough for kick+mid+top and have to keep the sub control way down.

Also, when using the amp gain set at 1/3, I notice that it clips early and don't quite understand why:
-Is it just because of it being on a 13A socket?
-Is it because I might be sending a signal too hot from the preamp?

Do you have any limiters after pre-amp, before amp ?
Check with JTS what Input sensitivity of US6 is, and would suggest getting some behringer limiters to handle it.

sil wrote: So, I am now improving the rest of the sound:
3x reflex kick with Fane 15-600 LF (Lev, is it worthy to get the PRO version instead the regular one?)
2x MT121 with PD123ER and BMS4550
I will get Matrix XT3000G for kick and mid (one channel at 2r and another at 4r) and XT800 for tops
Later will get a dedicated X2000 for mids and build more boxes...

The Fane Sov/Pro 15-600LF are quality 15" sub drivers, but there are more efficient mid bass drivers out there for the money. have a look at the efficiency thread to get an idea how to choose them..

sil wrote: I will be using these also with a DCX between the preamp for kick+mid+top and plug the sub straight from preamp.

Please stop mentioning Trade secrets in public... Might have to delete that last bit.. smiley36

\"When in Vegas, do as the vegasians do\".

More
13 years 3 months ago #10859 by sil
Lev, thanks for clearing some points...

It's US6 not UA6, got mine 2 years ago, they were JTS new range so I supose is still selling them...

I think the sensitivity can be adjusted between 3 values (I think 0.7, 1 and 1.4). Which would be the best for sub?Could I just use the limiters on the DCX for the sub too then?

• levyte357
  • Topic Author
More
13 years 3 months ago #10861 by levyte357

sil wrote: Lev, thanks for clearing some points...

It's US6 not UA6, got mine 2 years ago, they were JTS new range so I supose is still selling them...

I think the sensitivity can be adjusted between 3 values (I think 0.7, 1 and 1.4). Which would be the best for sub?Could I just use the limiters on the DCX for the sub too then?

Personally would use 1.4V sensitivity, as that allows hotter signal from pre-amp, and in theory better signal to noise ratio.

You need limiter in between Pre-amp and amp.

I personally don't like Behringer DCX limiters, even on Mid tops, all that headache with dbu/dba conversion.

Behringer MDX4600XL (4 way), can be set to limit almost invisibly, and also effortless matching sensitivities to amps, using this unit.

More
13 years 3 months ago #10865 by sil
I've no experience with LMS but since I'm stuck with JTS crossover points wouldn't I need to have both DCX and MDX4600XL ?

• levyte357
  • Topic Author
More
13 years 3 months ago #10866 by levyte357

sil wrote: I've no experience with LMS but since I'm stuck with JTS crossover points wouldn't I need to have both DCX and MDX4600XL ?

Yes, nothing wrong with that.

And you have nice detailed LED's showing levels being sent to ALL your amps, and if any signal is being limited before amplification.

Have heard people say, DCX limiting can result in square waves sent to amps.. Which is less than ideal.

More
13 years 3 months ago #10870 by tre4u2nv
Replied by tre4u2nv on topic Pre-Amp + Lightweight amp combo

levyte357 wrote:

Tony.A.S.S. wrote: Lev, do you think that an analogue pre amp has more to gain than a digital unit that offers far more facilities. I understand about the sound of analogue, but what would be the point if your system is not optimized because of phase and time alignment anomalies.

Tony, you would be suprised at what some roots sound systems sound like, with analogue pre-amp, and no phase/time alignment attempted.

But then again you shouldn't be, as some of the best are using your "black boxes"... smiley36

To be honest, I'm not talking about just using pre-amp, but I'm also not saying exactly what I'm thinking either... smiley23

Two of the most potent Pre-amps I've heard...

boy lev aint seen that pre in time one of the first gen ones smiley20 new ones are smiley34

IT TAKES ALLSORTS

Moderators: levyte357
Time to create page: 0.243 seconds