file Pre-Amp + Lightweight amp combo

9 years 8 months ago #10517 by levyte357
Replied by levyte357 on topic Pre-Amp + Lightweight amp combo

Tweeter Box wrote: ive used a preamp with a PKN6000 which sounded nice


Ahhh... Back to the topic at last...

Heard a rumour about the Amp JTS used to drive 6x Turbomax at Scala last year Dec, was a Chinese lightweight.

Wondering what PL380 could do fed by Pre amp.

On 32A+ they are monsters, even in 2ohm stereo, but have seen them clip early on dodgy supply, just like CA18.

\"When in Vegas, do as the vegasians do\".

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

9 years 8 months ago #10519 by tony.a.s.s.
Replied by tony.a.s.s. on topic Pre-Amp + Lightweight amp combo
Lev, do you think that an analogue pre amp has more to gain than a digital unit that offers far more facilities. I understand about the sound of analogue, but what would be the point if your system is not optimized because of phase and time alignment anomalies.

Peace and goodwill to all speaker builders

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

9 years 8 months ago #10525 by levyte357
Replied by levyte357 on topic Pre-Amp + Lightweight amp combo

Tony.A.S.S. wrote: Lev, do you think that an analogue pre amp has more to gain than a digital unit that offers far more facilities. I understand about the sound of analogue, but what would be the point if your system is not optimized because of phase and time alignment anomalies.


Tony, you would be suprised at what some roots sound systems sound like, with analogue pre-amp, and no phase/time alignment attempted.

But then again you shouldn't be, as some of the best are using your "black boxes"... smiley36

To be honest, I'm not talking about just using pre-amp, but I'm also not saying exactly what I'm thinking either... smiley23

Two of the most potent Pre-amps I've heard...




\"When in Vegas, do as the vegasians do\".

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

9 years 8 months ago #10528 by tony.a.s.s.
Replied by tony.a.s.s. on topic Pre-Amp + Lightweight amp combo
Are some of these units sounding good because of the boost and cut facilities they have. I know that front ends can make a difference as they do in HI FI, but what I battle with is that everything is supposed to be neutral and transparent. Are you saying that if you had a good pre-amp, it could turn an average sounding amp into a great one, because of the improvements it makes. If you take away some of the gimmicks on some units and you are just left with the basics, are you saying it could sound better than an XTA, KT of BSS. These aren't trick questions, I have always been intrigued by this pre-amp pre-occupation with Sound System guys.

Peace and goodwill to all speaker builders

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

9 years 8 months ago - 9 years 4 months ago #10529 by saul
Replied by saul on topic Pre-Amp + Lightweight amp combo
there's a few big sounds around not using preamps.

i guess the bonus with a preamp is that it's an all in one box.

has someone built one with delays in it yet...?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

9 years 8 months ago #10530 by levyte357
Replied by levyte357 on topic Pre-Amp + Lightweight amp combo

Tony.A.S.S. wrote: Are some of these units sounding good because of the boost and cut facilities they have. I know that front ends can make a difference as they do in HI FI, but what I battle with is that everything is supposed to be neutral and transparent. Are you saying that if you had a good pre-amp, it could turn an average sounding amp into a great one, because of the improvements it makes. If you take away some of the gimmicks on some units and you are just left with the basics, are you saying it could sound better than an XTA, KT of BSS. These aren't trick questions, I have always been intrigued by this pre-amp pre-occupation with Sound System guys.


For 99% of applications, digital LMS is fine.

In Roots reggae scene, there is a desirable pre-amp tonal quality on sub, beyond just boosting, not reproducible by digital LMS.

This is not important or necessary to everyone. Many Reggae sounds will use Digital LMS for most gigs, and pre-amp only for clash scenarios.

However, if 2x sounds are playing with systems of equal calibre, it's immediately noticable which is using pre-amp. Your mates "Touch Above", are perfect example of this. smiley36

\"When in Vegas, do as the vegasians do\".

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

9 years 8 months ago #10534 by tony.a.s.s.
Replied by tony.a.s.s. on topic Pre-Amp + Lightweight amp combo
I understand what you say, but I would want to know that I already have the best amp and cab before assessing a pre-amp. I assume all pre-amps sound different from each other due perhaps to design or quality of components. However, in an ideal world, all things in the Audio chain are supposed to be transparent. So I wouldn't expect a pre-amp to make much difference, apart from the quality situation.

Peace and goodwill to all speaker builders

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

9 years 8 months ago - 9 years 4 months ago #10538 by saul
Replied by saul on topic Pre-Amp + Lightweight amp combo

levyte357 wrote:
In Roots reggae scene, there is a desirable pre-amp tonal quality on sub, beyond just boosting, not reproducible by digital LMS.


whether this is true or not (i'm not challenging), i've always wondered WHY technically this might be the case.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

9 years 8 months ago #10544 by levyte357
Replied by levyte357 on topic Pre-Amp + Lightweight amp combo

Tony.A.S.S. wrote: I understand what you say, but I would want to know that I already have the best amp and cab before assessing a pre-amp.


When you are happy with how your Driver/Cab combo works with your digital LMS, then you are ready to get a Pre amp. smiley20

\"When in Vegas, do as the vegasians do\".

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

9 years 8 months ago #10546 by dOpeShack
Replied by dOpeShack on topic Pre-Amp + Lightweight amp combo

Tony.A.S.S. wrote: Lev, do you think that an analogue pre amp has more to gain than a digital unit that offers far more facilities. I understand about the sound of analogue, but what would be the point if your system is not optimized because of phase and time alignment anomalies.


I am currently talking with swiss pre amp builder Jo red to make a one way pre-amp that I'll link onto a Rane AC23 crossover so I'll have the pre-amp sound and facilities (send effects, kills, parametric, quality mirco phone pre-amp, eq etc...) and the ability to phase align my system. Thsi is the idea, will see how we get on.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: levyte357
Powered by Kunena Forum