file New, confused but willing to learn!!

13 years 1 month ago #11621 by hiltonsm
Replied by hiltonsm on topic New, confused but willing to learn!!
Thanks for the suggestions CuttaBoi but I would like to try and simplify the speaker design and make it an active type unit if possible.

Been hunting the web quite a bit this weekend trying to get my head around what will work well and what won't, need to run something by you all -

What about this for the driver - www.thomann.de/gb/precision_devices_pd12sb30.htm

And either this - www.bkelec.com/Modules/bsbpv300.htm or this - www.bkelec.com/Modules/bsbpv500.htm for driving it.

I just like the idea of putting a plate type amp into the speaker to keep things neat and tidy but will it work?? if it will then what effect will putting the amp into the back of the speaker have to the performance? or should I modify the speaker design and put the amp in its own enclosure so as to keep the internal speaker dimensions the same as the plans.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

13 years 1 month ago #11623 by hiltonsm

Tony.A.S.S. wrote: Sorry not to talk about cabs, but is it possible to show more details of your machine, I'm well impressed that you made it yourself. In a former life, I was a toolmaker and it's never left me really, so when I see things like this, I sit up and take notice. What's the largest sheet of ply you can lay on the table? I saw some screws, so I assume its not a vacuum bed.

Tony,

I too was a toolmaker / cnc machinist and I know what you mean when you say "it never really leaves you!" which is half the reason for building the machine in the first place.

There is no vacuum bed on the machine, just drilled and tapped the bed so I can screw/clamp material down, bed size is 1000mm x 620mm, although a vacuum bed is something that I have been looking at making.

For more info on the machine checkout www.mycncuk.com/forums/showthread.php/10...ame-you-lot-for-this....! as this is the website where i got a lot of advice and ideas when I was building it.

13 years 1 month ago #11631 by tony.a.s.s.
Replied by tony.a.s.s. on topic New, confused but willing to learn!!
Thanks Steve. I can see by the size of the bed that you can cover most cab sizes. Will the head take a 12mm cutter?

Peace and goodwill to all speaker builders

13 years 1 month ago #11649 by hiltonsm
Tony,

The spindle which I built for the machine can take collets from 1mm-10mm but remember that this is the shank size of the cutters and I have some 20mm cutters with a 1/2" shank that fit into the machine.

Why is 12mm so important?? being CNC I can cut any shape with the machine, 12mm holes can be cut with any size cutter in fact you can cut a 500mm hole with a 5mm cutter if need be.

13 years 1 month ago #11653 by tony.a.s.s.
Replied by tony.a.s.s. on topic New, confused but willing to learn!!
When I saw the size of the head, I just assumed a small cutter. I said 12mm because that seems to be a Universal size I have 2 overhead Routers and that is the normal cutter for nearly all the major work. All groove work in patterns is usually 12mm, and made usually in one cut.

Peace and goodwill to all speaker builders