New, confused but willing to learn!!

More
13 years 2 months ago #11457 by levyte357
Replied by levyte357 on topic New, confused but willing to learn!!

hiltonsm wrote: Making speaker flat packs for you guys is definately something that I will look into, what about if I start with the MT121's, I will have to re-draw the design in my CAD system first of all and make sure everything fits together. that is unless someone already has a 3D model which i could use, then I can produce the programs for my machine and get cutting.

As for the technical side of speaker building with selecting drivers, horns, amps etc then I may have to leave that to you guys.!

I suggested "simplified MT121", so you dont run into copyright issues, and also it's a simpler, less expensive build.

Info + primer

forum.speakerplans.com/simplified-mt121-plans_topic16270.html

\"When in Vegas, do as the vegasians do\".

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 years 2 months ago #11458 by giveortake
Replied by giveortake on topic New, confused but willing to learn!!
Also the MT-130, 3D models available on the page ;)

PLAN .

What is your philosophy of life or your creed ?
\"Have a good time, ALL THE TIME\"

Wisdom is better than silver and gold !

• hiltonsm
  • Topic Author
More
13 years 2 months ago #11460 by hiltonsm
Replied by hiltonsm on topic New, confused but willing to learn!!

mykey- wrote:

hiltonsm wrote:

levyte357 wrote:
Is it beyond feasibility, to construct a flatbed that could accomodate 8'x4' ?

No not at all, if (when!) I built (build) another machine then that is what I would use as the minimum cutting size, the drives for moving the axis's will be the same just that the ballscrews will be a bit longer. The frame design would be different but the concept would be the same.

Just need a good excuse to build it as not got a demand for anything that big at the moment.

I'm also confused, do you build cnc machines? I noticed it looked like it might have been a diy machine?

Yes the cnc machine in the photo was built by yours truly! not as difficult to build as you think but still cost a fair bit of cash.

I have been designing and building material handling equipment for a few years, this includes pedestrian type vehicles for moving heavy loads (up to 150 tonnes), goods lifts for self storage business's and other similar stuff. The CNC machine was built because I am a time served metal machinist most of which was CNC and I missed making stuff so I thought I would build a machine to play with, as you do!

So building CNC machines is a bit of a hobby if you like, making machines for cutting wood is fairly easy and I have seen machines made out of MDF! So if you can build speaker box's then you should be more than capable of building a wooden cnc machine.

If anyone is interested then I can point them in the right direction, just let me know.

More
13 years 2 months ago #11464 by bee
Replied by bee on topic New, confused but willing to learn!!
whats the average cost of building a cnc machine........... can it be done for a fraction of buying one......

More
13 years 2 months ago #11465 by mykey-
Replied by mykey- on topic New, confused but willing to learn!!
Steve's just created 1000 best friends :lol:

do not go on the other side, 24 hours in the day will not be enough time for you

More
13 years 2 months ago #11466 by mykey-
Replied by mykey- on topic New, confused but willing to learn!!
if you could be arrested for stealing speaker plans, TDA would be doing a long stretch

bang out of order

• hiltonsm
  • Topic Author
More
13 years 2 months ago #11473 by hiltonsm

bee wrote: whats the average cost of building a cnc machine........... can it be done for a fraction of buying one......

Mine cost around £3,000 - £4,000 ish but I went a bit over the top as I wanted it accurate and to be capable of cutting aluminium.

If you want a machine for cutting wood then I have seen MDF machines built for as little as £400, but realistically to build a reliable machine and depending on how much of it you can do yourself then you should be able to put a good machine together for around £1,000-£1,500.

Take a look at youtube - www.youtube.com/results?search_query=diy+cnc+router&aq=f plenty on there to wet your appetite!

• hiltonsm
  • Topic Author
More
13 years 2 months ago #11589 by hiltonsm
Right then....

Bought myself a pair of Wharfedale Titan 12A's to get me going, I know this seems like cheating but I needed something quick.

But now what I intend to do is build a Cubo12 to give me some extra bass, I have drawn it up in CAD and posted it here as a 3D PDF as it may be of use to someone. You will need Adobe Reader 9 to view it correctly, have a go as I think you will like it as you can spin it around and also take it to pieces and have a look inside!

Drew it up in CAD so that I can generate the programs for my CNC router and also its easily small enough to fit on the machine, should be interesting.

Quick question, what driver and amp will i need to get this making some noise??
Attachments:

More
13 years 2 months ago #11595 by tony.a.s.s.
Replied by tony.a.s.s. on topic New, confused but willing to learn!!
Sorry not to talk about cabs, but is it possible to show more details of your machine, I'm well impressed that you made it yourself. In a former life, I was a toolmaker and it's never left me really, so when I see things like this, I sit up and take notice. What's the largest sheet of ply you can lay on the table? I saw some screws, so I assume its not a vacuum bed.

Peace and goodwill to all speaker builders

More
13 years 1 month ago #11606 by CuttaBoi
Replied by CuttaBoi on topic New, confused but willing to learn!!

hiltonsm wrote: Right then....

Bought myself a pair of Wharfedale Titan 12A's to get me going, I know this seems like cheating but I needed something quick.

But now what I intend to do is build a Cubo12 to give me some extra bass, I have drawn it up in CAD and posted it here as a 3D PDF as it may be of use to someone. You will need Adobe Reader 9 to view it correctly, have a go as I think you will like it as you can spin it around and also take it to pieces and have a look inside!

Drew it up in CAD so that I can generate the programs for my CNC router and also its easily small enough to fit on the machine, should be interesting.

Quick question, what driver and amp will i need to get this making some noise??

With regards to driver selection, I'd say it is dependent on your budget?

Below is what cubo states for selecting a driver:

18Sound 18LW1400 in a 175 liter basreflex tuned to 37 Hz. (6,6 ft^3) vs. Cubo 12 (with all drivers measured). ** Apart from those drivers measured Cubo 12 will work with a wide variëty of 12" (and 10”) drivers preferably with an EBP of 100 or higher; Fs (30-52 Hz), Qts (0.20 - 0.37), Vas (50 - 125 L) / (1.77- 4.42 ft^3). Where EBP = Fs / Qts. If you're uncertain if a driver is suited, PM or mail me at questionsaboutCubo.at.gmail.com

Amplifier size will be based on the power of your driver you chose, again depending on your budget I'd look around for crown/ecler/matrix/qsc

Thomann Amps seem to have an alright rep for budget solution.

You will also need to get a crossover or dsp aswel Ideally with a High pass filter to protect the driver from over excursion. Behringer DCX 2496 would be a good candidate, cheaper behringer crossovers may be suitable.

Time to create page: 0.242 seconds