bandpass horn which ones best atop scoops

More
15 years 10 months ago #1851 by deadbeat
Replied by deadbeat on topic bandpass horn which ones best atop scoops
I did say where the baffle was in a previous post: the driver cutout is drawn in which might confuse some people, as it is not circular, but a vertical letterbox. Here's a picture to help show you where to fit the driver and how the letterbox throat works.

Beranek\'s law
\'bits of ply round a driver\'

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• sks01
  • Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
More
15 years 10 months ago #1872 by sks01
Replied by sks01 on topic bandpass horn which ones best atop scoops
sorry im just being thick and not paying proper attention, thanks for the pic and the time deadbeat, more food for thaught...

do it for the love of the music

More
15 years 10 months ago #1884 by deadbeat
Oh, and remember - If all of these options are unsuitable, there's always the good old fashioned altec ported horns.

Beranek\'s law

• sks01
  • Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
More
15 years 10 months ago #1892 by sks01
you mean those w bin fellas? they just don't float my boat really sound or looks wise and i wanted something with a bit moreefficiency than a reflex, i think once this nextweeks ill have made my mind up and ill post my decision on here, if you like ill get some build pics of them too for your perusal as we will proberably be starting sometime during the week after next, its between the mark 2 martins and usb's (or maybe esbph as easier to shift around) at the moment. Edited by: sKs01

More
15 years 10 months ago #1923 by deadbeat
Nah, I mean the Altec ones that were originally made for cinema use. Straight horns with ports. They're quite recognisable because of their curvy horn flare.
www.lansingheritage.org/html/altec/plans/1970s-plans.htm

Build pics would be great.

Beranek\'s law

More
15 years 10 months ago #1932 by bitzo
Replied by bitzo on topic bandpass horn which ones best atop scoops
I built the altec voice of theatre. www.lansingheritage.org/images/a ... ures11.jpg
But I don't like it for kick so I converted it into midtop, filling the vent hole with an altec 811b horn, (this configuration is one of the 2 recomenned by altec www.wardsweb.org/audio/altec_images/A7.jpg in the photo the horn is different 811 is larger). In order to get an higher flare frequency I reduced the rear volume to 38*38*20 cm and added curves on upper and downside.

Edited by: bitzo

More
15 years 10 months ago #1941 by deadbeat
Altec made a whole line of Voice of the Theatres. That's the A7, most commonly used as a hi-fi main. The shortened version of it, as well as the copies in the fane and eminence books have smaller ports and are the ones most commonly used as kicks.

@Bitzo - Making curves on the top and bottom of the flare must have been tricky. I'm more than impressed.

Beranek\'s law

More
15 years 10 months ago #1942 by bitzo
Replied by bitzo on topic bandpass horn which ones best atop scoops
so tricky.... first I make the curved brace after, I fill them with poliuretanic foam. When it finished to encreaseing its volume I cut all the foam in excess following the profile of the braces. With some paper sheet and a lot of time I take the correct shape, so I copied it on a 3 mm laminate ply, cut glued (lot of glue) and screwed on the braces. Put some salt, vinegar, serve hot[img]smileys/smiley17.gif[/img]

However this is quite off topic....but if you would try to build kick cab with this design it's useful to know that can be converted in a lower mid.

Edited by: bitzo

• sks01
  • Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
More
15 years 10 months ago #1944 by sks01
crikey they look like one heck of a build cheers for info, its certainly a possablility though i think we may have a winner in the espbh simply because A its more compact (and if i think about it if i could find suitable nd drivers only a one man lift) and B goes lower (which to me is proberably more important than reaching up high as based on what others have said they give a nice low kick which would be better for dub IMO) im thinking 4 btw as i think ive said in this thread search function on both forums not working so if someone could care to lend a hand could you link me to the plans?, sorry to be a nusance ill get my computer sorted soon enough.

More
15 years 10 months ago #1945 by deadbeat
Here you go:
groups.msn.com/SpeakerBuildingpics/shoeb...ShowPhoto&PhotoID=19
The ES18-BPH
54-250hz -3dB

I'm not sure how low the Martin goes, but it's around the same spot. (40-50hz)

Beranek\'s law

Time to create page: 0.229 seconds