file bandpass horn which ones best atop scoops

15 years 9 months ago #1704 by deadbeat
Replied by deadbeat on topic bandpass horn which ones best atop scoops
Plans measured by James Folkes and Phil Zambonini

Here's the MKII CAD by HBL.

And Here's the MKIII for good measure:

the MKIII is folded, and has more efficiency than the MKII though some people are of the opinion that the MKII sounds better (being pretty much straight). The F2B is the more modern version of the 215. The ASS 215, I think, is virtually the same with curved sides and smaller rear chamber. Have fun!

Beranek\'s law
\'bits of ply round a driver\'

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

15 years 9 months ago #1713 by sks01
Replied by sks01 on topic bandpass horn which ones best atop scoops
very pretty, now i just don't know where i stand[img]smileys/smiley36.gif[/img] whats the reckoning on the lower cutoff's with say a 154 or 1550 in the mk2? straight horn looks very very nice.

do it for the love of the music

15 years 9 months ago #1717 by sks01
and now i cant edit posts, my pc is dying a death rapidly[img]smileys/smiley36.gif[/img] im guessing the mk2 has long since been superseded with a gauss driver being listed as a posssable driver so modern counterpart drivers wold be the thing, does look very nice especially staked one on top of each other, anyone got anything to report soundwise
any other takers?

15 years 9 months ago #1724 by levyte357
Replied by levyte357 on topic bandpass horn which ones best atop scoops

sKs01 wrote: for an absolutely foolproof way of getting 15" kick would be dual ported cabs, though for me id prefer an all longish throw set up (apart from scoops but they sound so damn nice) so its a case of finding something to fit the bill as best as possable one things been worrying me about 15" bandpass horns is their rollofs dont tend to be verry scoop friendly (crossing scoops to high [img]smileys/smiley18.gif[/img])

Yes 15" Dual ported work well over scoops, but mostly in small venues, and would need lots of Power outside.

After much consideration, its most likely I'll be going for USBs.

For my purposes,1x high powered USB will keep up with upto 4x scoops @ 70hz xover, and Will cross nicely into MT122s @ approx 170hz.

\"When in Vegas, do as the vegasians do\".

15 years 9 months ago #1725 by bitzo
Replied by bitzo on topic bandpass horn which ones best atop scoops
but where is the baffle in the mt215 mkIII ?

15 years 9 months ago #1728 by deadbeat
@ sks01

There is a list of drivers in my post somewhere. I'll list them again.
RCF MB15N401
PD158
18sound 15NLW9300
B&C 15PL100

I'm not sure about the lower cutoff with the newer drivers (I've not stuck this one in hornresp yet), but the 215s were originally meant to be used under 218 reflex subs. However, I think in the other thread, James Folkes high passed them at 35, and I've seen them on their own at other times.

Beranek\'s law

15 years 9 months ago #1729 by deadbeat
@ Bitzo - the baffle has a hole in it on the plan - the 215 MKIII has only one fold per driver.

Here's the thread on the 215 that I got the plans from.

www.speakerplans.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=12427

It's a good long thread on that lovely kick horn.
The MKI plan is there as well (same shape but W-Bin consruction). To make the 215, two drivers were put in vertically. The 115 was half the height, roughly.

Edited by: Deadbeat

Beranek\'s law

15 years 9 months ago #1741 by sks01
ill have to get on the PM to the rich.ind boys then for a talk about sound are they up in Sheffield as well or am i losing it? didn't see that driver list i only had a gander at the older bits, (me rushing around this morning) though looks like me and lev are on verry similar lines here (mt122 tops will be built around crhitmas[img]smileys/smiley36.gif[/img]) might have to go for usb's on the offchance of a sound linkup ([img]smileys/smiley36.gif[/img] thatd be a whole hunk of petrol) (though im thinking two usb's to 6 scoops and a pair of mt's) but these 215's do look verry nice and with a straight (ish) horn should sound nice up a bit higher too (or am i kidding misen)

15 years 9 months ago #1743 by deadbeat
There seems to be a fairly ridiculous amount of 215s over there in England, floating about. I'm not sure, but I would imagine the 215s are good to around 300hz (people say not-straight horns sound honky too high, but i've never heard a horn honk. Just sounds bad up high, i'd say).

If you get in touch with the Ind.St. guys, ask about their modified Wicked Ones under their 215s. I haven't heard them with 12s in, but have seen ones with meaty 10s in move serious air for their size.

Beranek\'s law

15 years 9 months ago #1848 by sks01
just realized bitzos got a very good point, that mkIII drawing is just plans for a very elaborate and sturdy waste of space as far as i can tell [img]smileys/smiley5.gif[/img]