file bandpass horn which ones best atop scoops

15 years 9 months ago #1103 by sks01
usb hd15 or other diy design discuss why and best drivers in each (sorry to be greedy but the build date for one or the other is upon me in 3 weeks)

do it for the love of the music

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

15 years 9 months ago #1139 by guest
Replied by guest on topic bandpass horn which ones best atop scoops
I would think about the ES18 too..

For my I would say HD15, as, to my mind a 15" driver should be better at the kick, but you will have to experiment.

15 years 9 months ago #1155 by sks01
Replied by sks01 on topic bandpass horn which ones best atop scoops
i think actual kick in itself should be covered by most short bandpass horns my only concern is the low end drop off of the hd15, was it j 9 bar who built the usb's in the first place for the reason that he thought they were a bit high in they're kick response looking to cross over as low as possable to get the most from scoops low end response without any undue distortion say 60-70 or so and have the advantage of some proper low end at head height got a link to es18's the search function on sp has stopped working for me

edit: aslo thinking about usb2's though not sure what people think on them

Edited by: sKs01

15 years 9 months ago #1216 by levyte357
Replied by levyte357 on topic bandpass horn which ones best atop scoops

sKs01 wrote: usb hd15 or other diy design discuss why

What's most important to you ?

a)Low end extension and SPL
b) High end cutoff
c) size / weight
d) Speed

IMHO,

a) USB
b) ES18-BPH
c)HD15
d)HD15

I agree with Adam that a 15" driver would give better kick than an 18", just that the HD15 would need to be more like A.S.S cabs to do it.

\"When in Vegas, do as the vegasians do\".

15 years 9 months ago #1260 by sks01
not enough ass cabs around these days that and the fact we want to do another build for the fun to be had from it as much as anything else weight or size isnt a consideration though why im not sure its hard enough to transport as is but thats not the point im turning a new leaf and going quality, low end extension and a fair lump of spl going up high ish wouldn't be too bad but 150-160 would be more than adequate as far as i know (my mind may change on that) speed might be of some importance here too though it will take a backseat for spl (some jungle but mainly dub & roots)

what kick are we talking about, audible clarity or actual thump?

and theirs some consideration for potentialy using them for a spot of live work (once in a blue moon though) so i dont want to colour the vocals to much with a folded horn going too much into the vocal range

all in all 18" kick for me at the moment sounds better but ill sit on that a while and think it through before making final decision.

Edited by: sKs01

15 years 9 months ago #1374 by billso
Replied by billso on topic bandpass horn which ones best atop scoops
i have also been trying to work out whats the best box to stick on top of are scoops and a 15" bandpass does seem the most logical soloution.
But i also dont like the idea of the fold if this can be helped so i have been thinging more a long the lines of a straight bph like the bottom section of the extro or some how working out how tounfold the hd15.any thoughts on this?

15 years 9 months ago #1651 by sks01
for an absolutely foolproof way of getting 15" kick would be dual ported cabs, though for me id prefer an all longish throw set up (apart from scoops but they sound so damn nice) so its a case of finding something to fit the bill as best as possable one things been worrying me about 15" bandpass horns is their rollofs dont tend to be verry scoop friendly (crossing scoops to high [img]smileys/smiley18.gif[/img])

15 years 9 months ago #1655 by deadbeat
Replied by deadbeat on topic bandpass horn which ones best atop scoops
The Martin 215 is a pretty straight (well, the MkIII has one fold in it I think) bin, and it has that nice low reach. It's logical to refer to it instead of bothering with some weird unfolding of the HD15.
there are plans lying around on SP and If you're really stuck, i'll post them up.

Beranek\'s law
\'bits of ply round a driver\'

15 years 9 months ago #1697 by sks01
as always the search function doesn't work, don't know why think its my pc acting up id be much obliged for plans/plots recommended drivers if you could spare the time

15 years 9 months ago #1703 by deadbeat
Replied by deadbeat on topic bandpass horn which ones best atop scoops
OK. Here's the brochure for the MKII. I has some reccomended drivers on.

RCF MB15N401
PD158
18sound 15NLW9300
B&C 15PL100
are modern equivalents suggested by others.

Here's the MKII:

Beranek\'s law
\'bits of ply round a driver\'