Cubo 18

More
9 years 6 months ago #22062 by easy my youth
Replied by easy my youth on topic Cubo 18
Thanxx for the help cubo - not to mention a quick response ! 30 metres throw is not bad at all, I was expecting less. Cubo sub is what I plan to build. Yes, I would more than welcome cubo 15 kick plans, a couple of questions : how high can it play, what 15s do you suggest . Have access to RCF, B&C, Emi, 18 Sound. PD, Void, Fane are super expensive here. Ferrite magnet is OK with me. So I would like to give it a try. Any phase or comb filtering issues when crossed to horn or reflex midtop. Thanxx again, easy my youth

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
9 years 6 months ago - 9 years 6 months ago #22098 by thohaug
Replied by thohaug on topic Cubo 18
Hey cubo, Im thinking about upgrading the drivers in my 4 cubo 18 boxes. Currently using rcfl18g401 drivers, but wondering if I might be able to squeeze some additional spl from them. Im wondering if you know which driver that will be able to squeeze the most spl from these boxes from 40hz and up. Price is not a concern at all here. Cause of storage problems I can't build more of them, so I I'm just looking for the best of the best. Currently I've been looking at the pd 1850/2 and the eighteensound 18NLW9601. I'm wondering if you had any tips about what the absolute best driver out there would be for delivering massive spl.

Specs for the 2 drivers I've been looking at:

images6.thomann.de/pics/atg/atgdata/document/specs/237905.pdf

images6.thomann.de/pics/atg/atgdata/docu...ecs/169183_specs.pdf

Thanks in advance :)

Edit: I think maybe it is possible too squeeze in a 21 inch driver into the cubo. Do you think it would be possible to increase the maximum spl by doing so, and what would be the downside?
Last edit: 9 years 6 months ago by thohaug.

More
9 years 6 months ago #22101 by t.geessounds
Replied by t.geessounds on topic Cubo 18

Cubo15 wrote: The consensus is that Cubo's have the same "throw" as a reflex cabinet but louder, as you have used 18" reflex before I guess you know what to expect when used outside.
I've noticed that Cubo Sub throws a bit further. If one would say a Cubo 15 throw's up to 20 meter, than a Cubo Sub would throw up to 30 meters, whereas a scoop will throw 40 - 50 meter.

If cabinet size/portabilty isn't an issue, you could try Cubo Sub instead, that would also make sure you aren't missing any lower notes. The L18X451 is a great driver for sub duty and will work in Cubo 18 Extended and Cubo Sub equally well.

Do yo need plans for 15" kicks as well? I've been working on Cubo Kicks for quite some time now and I basically just need a few people tell me how great it is before I dare launching the plans officially. The benefit is that it's for 15" drivers, stacks and looks nicely with other Cubo's and is easy to build as well.

Best regards

Cubo

I would try the cubo kick...

More
9 years 6 months ago #22115 by Cubo15
Replied by Cubo15 on topic Cubo 18

Hey cubo, Im thinking about upgrading the drivers in my 4 cubo 18 boxes

I would look into the following T/S-parameters, for the L8G401 these are Fs 33 Hz, Qes 0.3, Vas 268 Liter, n0 3.1%, Hg 12 mm, Hvc 23 mm (4" copper VC or larger) and if still unsure Mms. As n0 is quite high, for the best improvement, I would look for a high n0, similar Vas, Qes 0.3 or lower and Hg around 12 mm kinda driver.

The rest depends on how much power you have available, so if you answer that, I'll know enough. I would recommend one of the following:

LF18N451
18NLW9400
18NLW9000
18NLW9601
PD1850

A 21" would improve output below 50 Hz but not above. As it's excursion is low compared to an 18" driver, it's in actual danger of over heating as it's barely moving.

I would try the cubo kick...

Cool, if you send me an e-mail at questionsaboutcubo.at.gmail.com I'll send the plans from there.

Best regards

Cubo

More
9 years 6 months ago #22118 by thohaug
Thanks for the answer, as to how much power: I got 2x crown itech 4000 amps to drive 4 of these, so power limitations should not be the biggest issue. It maxes at about 2000watts 4ohm per driver.

More
9 years 6 months ago #22119 by Cubo15
For me that would narrow it down to these:

18NLW9000 (with the magnet in the horn)
18NLW9601 (with the magnet in the chamber)

Best regards

Cubo

More
9 years 6 months ago #22131 by thohaug
Thanks.18NLW9601 it is then. Looking forward to testing these bad boys.

More
9 years 6 months ago #22144 by crossed
Replied by crossed on topic Cubo 18
So a question Ive had for a while is about the difference in speaker quality. I have Cubo18 extended with eminence sigma pro18. How much beter would it sound with speakers that cost much more? I just have no frame of reference when it comes to this stuff because where I live it is only, old, bottom of the line, store bought systems like peavy. How much beter is the sound of my budget speakers compared to a top of the line speaker like the PD1850? The PD is about almost 3.5x the cost of my speakers, but if the outpout is 3.5x more it would be worth it.

More
9 years 6 months ago - 9 years 6 months ago #22147 by Cubo15
For those interested in Cubo Kick: freespeakerplans.com/kunena/7-general-fo...0-cubo-kick-15#22146

Having a budgetary Cubo 18 driver and switching it for a high cost driver might make a 1 or 2 dB difference if everything else stays the same. The highest output 18" driver in Cubo 18 will keep up with two Cubo 15's loaded with the Kappa 15LF. To do that it needs a 2000 W continous amplfier and suitable high pass and low pass (i.e. decent DSP).

Having a high cost driver will do something, having loads of power will do something on top of that, using keened out DSP will do something on top of that. Also having the cabinet made out of the right material by the right people will become more important as the SPL level rises.

Best regards

Cubo
Last edit: 9 years 6 months ago by Cubo15.

More
9 years 6 months ago #22149 by MattMoon
Replied by MattMoon on topic Cubo 18
HI
I'm looking for cnc project for cubo18
Anyone?

Time to create page: 0.340 seconds