Dummy thinkin of building a P A

More
10 years 4 months ago #20989 by mini-mad
Replied by mini-mad on topic Re:Dummy thinkin of building a P A
Ok.. what sort of music we going for as drum and bass does require so pretty low bass

Sent from my GT-P3110 using Tapatalk

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 4 months ago #20990 by dnb123
Replied by dnb123 on topic Re:Dummy thinkin of building a P A
Yeah drum and bass/jungle and maybe some trap and garage but strictly no house!! I'm thinking an 18 cyclopse and 2 horns then the mid section will be an interpretation of an MT 130 with a sized down cubo bin to have an 8" driver

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

More
10 years 4 months ago - 10 years 4 months ago #20991 by mini-mad
Replied by mini-mad on topic Re:Re: Dummy thinkin of building a P A
[strike]Cubos are not kick bins and wont work properly if just set to do so. Look for a different kick bin. Thats a lot of different speakers to just "turn up and plug them all in" your gonna need processing of some type and thats not really "cheap"[/strike]

in fact ooks like you wont need kick bins at all...
Last edit: 10 years 4 months ago by mini-mad.

More
10 years 4 months ago #20992 by mini-mad
I can see you havent thougt this through properly.
The CBEs are good subs but i'd start reserching drivers for them as real bass drivers are in no way cheap. An amp to power them, if you buy heavy old skool amps may save you a few pennies. But once you start get to building your tops you will start burning cash as good comp are not cheap either.
You can save SOME cash by going mono but you will still need a good crossover with delays to get the best out of them.

More
10 years 4 months ago #20993 by mini-mad
If you want a simple plug and play system..... go full reflex.

More
10 years 4 months ago #21001 by dnb123
Okay... But I though kick bins should go on the floor and shouldn't be part of the mid section so I was looking for a bass bin with slightly higher hertz to add to the mid bass and I don't know what you mean by reflex :S I was gunna go with an RCF L18S801 for the cbe, I was told that rcf was good so I chose a slightly cheaper one. And I'm not exactly sure what a crossover does...

Sorry about all the retarded questions but I'm pretty clueless about all this stuff I appreciate all the help :)

More
10 years 4 months ago #21002 by mini-mad
Ok well the CBE is more just a sub bin anyway....

So lets make a start and make it simple.
Reflex is i simple box with a bass port innit with the speaker driver facing you, no clever folds or complex patterns to follow just a box with a driver with a hole in it. 2nd, crossover, an ACTIVE crossover is a peice of linelevel hardware that sits between your mixer output and your amps inputs. Seperating the signal for you so all bass goes to one amp and all the rest of the signal goes to the other amp (all your mid and high frequencies)

So if you build a set of reflex bass bins around your driver you should end up with a bin that will gomhigh enuff to cover kick and still be able to cover a fair amount of sub too. Then if you build a set of reflex tops you can build something like a 12"+1" reflex box with a built in PASSIVE crossover so your tops turn into a nice plug and play box.

And as your handy with wood make a small rack box to house you amps and ACTIVE crossover in so they stay perminantly wired together so wen you turn up to a gig you juwt plug the power in and the speakers and the mixer and away you go..... unless you somehow mount the mixer into the rack case...

More
10 years 4 months ago #21003 by dnb123
Right, but I don't see why I should use reflex boxes... Should I use reflex just for kick or for all the bins? Yeah the rack sounds like a good idea and I can just use off cuts, I'll draw up some plans tonight

Do the total amounts of watts of the drivers (for subs and ten for highs and mids) play a big part in the selection of the amp or are they irrelevant? I was under the impression that the watts is the power output at the amount of ohms for the amp, so therefor the speakers shouldn't exceed that amount in order to have a clean sound... But I'm not that sure

More
10 years 4 months ago #21004 by mini-mad
Replied by mini-mad on topic Re:Dummy thinkin of building a P A
I suggested reflex as that way yyou wont have to mess around with delays that you would need if you build horns for bass...
And amp power... its always a good idea to have a little more amp power then the speaker can take or "headroom" as we say... running a 100w speaker with a 100w amp means running it rite at or over the clippin point of that amp which is not good for either of them, but, using a 150 watt amp but only using 100w of it power means the amp is not over worked and not running into clipping and the speaker gets its 100w of non distorted sound.
That way the amp is not working hard and the speaker isnt beimg ragged to death with a bad signal.

Nothing wrong with a reflex rig. I have 1 small one and it does me proud for upto 100 people or so.....

Have a look at 18xb loaded g-subs. Lots of power and lovely deep bass

Sent from my GT-P3110 using Tapatalk

More
10 years 4 months ago - 10 years 4 months ago #21005 by mini-mad
..... or even the B&C sub18 design. Thats a nice 18"reflex box that will do you proud.
Im suggesting reflex as it will keep the whole systems cost down as little processing will be needed bar maybe a small eq to remove any harsh sounds in the system.
Last edit: 10 years 4 months ago by mini-mad.

Time to create page: 0.309 seconds