file Dummy thinkin of building a P A

10 years 3 months ago - 10 years 3 months ago #20969 by Jimbowen
Dummy thinkin of building a P A was created by Jimbowen
Hey everyone, I'm Owen.

Been going partying etc since early 90's to Free Parties and decent house nights. Finally trying to get something going in my area with some mates and am thinking of building our own PA system. We were using a local venue with max capacity of 250 with it's own system consisting of 2 x MA 900 on a T-Amp TSA 2200, 2 x MA Blackline F215 / S218 on a T-Amp TSA 4-700 bridged to 2 x1800 @ 4 ohms and a DBX Driverack Pro PA+. The trouble is we seemed to have to run our Allen & Heath mixer almost to max to get anywhere near the volume we needed to fill the space and even then it wasn't quite enough. The sound engineer at the venue said set the limiters at the max for the amps so not sure why we struggled, I'm told we should have had more than enough.

We are also going to have to try a different venue and therefore run in to more potential P A problems such as the cost of hiring or ensuring venues system is up to what we want. So I'm thinking we should get our own system together, and would be up for building rather than buying if the benefits are clear, like cost. Now don't be fooled by the above, I am really new to the whole P A thing, but have been DJing for years and have picked a small bit of knowledge as I've gone. But I'm not stupid and can learn with a bit of help, hence me being here.

Whatever we end up with would need to be over powered for the venue above and capable of handling something bigger. Also, for the type of music we play sub is not as important the overall sound, clarity etc. We don't just want the boom, boom, boom house beat which is why I've suggested 15's. The bass lines are much more mid bassy and the best parties I've been to (Nottingham) the sound has been really clear and punchy, not over subby with walls shaking. Hope that makes sense.

What I'm thinkin is the following:

4 x Single 15" Scoops using Eminence Kilomax Pro15A 1200W RMS @ 8 ohms
4 x twin 12" Mid with horns (open to suggestions on drivers) Any plans appreciated
1 x DBX Driverack Pro-PA+

I need suggestions for amps really. We need value for money but enough power for our needs. I was thinking of 2 x Behringer iNuke NU12000 for subs but that's going to push the cost up, although they seem to be a lot of power for the price. I had thought of the T-Amp TSA 4-700 but wasn't that impressed with the power on the subs at our last venue. But maybe one would do for our four mids & tops at 900W RMS per channel at 8Ohms.

If you have any better options for any of the above then I'd be greatful for your input.

Have a great Xmas all if I don't hear back until after.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

10 years 3 months ago #20970 by mini-mad
Replied by mini-mad on topic Dummy thinkin of building a P A
i had a massive long answer for you.... then the sever timed out and lost it all and now i cant be bothered. fuuking dumb a$$ server...

10 years 3 months ago #20971 by Jimbowen
Replied by Jimbowen on topic Dummy thinkin of building a P A
Well thanks anyway.

If you feel like tryin again sometime I'd appreciate it.

10 years 3 months ago #20980 by dnb123
Replied by dnb123 on topic Re:Dummy thinkin of building a P A
Yeah I'm kinda in the same situation except my sound will be pretty subby and I'm quite broke, I'm having 2 800w horns 1 700w cyclopse (maybe kick bins) 2 500w mids and a couple tweeter. I like some recommendations for amps for mid and high and for subs. Links to second hand amps would be useful and maybe some instructions on how to wire it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10 years 3 months ago #20982 by mini-mad
Replied by mini-mad on topic Re:Dummy thinkin of building a P A
stop rating every thing in watts..... its pointless.

a speaker at 90db with 600watts rammed up it wont even touch a 100db speaker with 300watt quietly tickling it...

read and learn my friend.

10 years 3 months ago #20983 by dnb123
None of the speakers I'm getting say decibels on the web page which is why I'm confused

10 years 3 months ago #20984 by mini-mad
Yes they do... its under sensitivity.
But its also to do with the driver pass band and at wot point in the band the peck in sensitivity is... anyway... try to avoid thinking just coz its got 3,000,000 watts its great :)

sent from my 'droid as im at work

10 years 3 months ago #20985 by dnb123
Lool thanks, I will try learn all this confusing stuff. I knew more watts didn't necessarily make It better but I didn't know what did, tbh I have no clue about this stuff and I'm seriously doubting making the rig, all I've made atm is your average bin, and I don't know if I'm pushing it, I do t have a lot of money and next to zero experience the only thing I'm good with is wood :/

10 years 3 months ago #20986 by mini-mad
Wood work is half your battle. That means half the battle is already won!

Now whats the constraints of this rig other then money?

Is it just for outside? Do you want it to stay small?... as if money is the biggest hold back you could easily build a a smaller rig and wen you want louder just double up on boxes...

sent from my 'droid as im at work

10 years 3 months ago #20988 by dnb123
Naa man it's for anywhere where there might be a party but outside doesn't matter as I can just use some tarpooling for a bit of cover, and I have space in my garage, so I want a loud not bad sounding rig and of course I want to be able to wire it so the minute I turn it on my amp doesn't blow up