Cubo 18

More
11 years 3 weeks ago - 11 years 3 weeks ago #19729 by t.geessounds
Replied by t.geessounds on topic Re: Cubo 18
Would u ever draw the plans for the cubo 218 (3.6cm lower)????

Cubo15 wrote: Best way would be to put the mouths together, so that you can use a single divider, without the panel bracings. Apart from that structual/ weight benefit, there won't be any pro's / con's other then those from the ongoing singles vs doubles debate.

Anyone who got experience in building 2x18" cubo?

Me, me, pick me.

If you make the Cubo 218 about 3.6 cm lower then 2 times a single, you can still cut it out of the same sheets, strictly without altering performance. If however you want them to be 124 x 62 x 65 cm, you'll likely need an extra sheet.

Mostly seen double Cubo 15's tho.

Best regards

Cubo

Last edit: 11 years 3 weeks ago by t.geessounds.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 3 weeks ago #19730 by jrock7
Replied by jrock7 on topic Re: Cubo 18
Hi Cubo , just recently got a pair of PRV audio 18sw2200 woofer in my possession, do you think these drivers will work well in the Cubo18 ? and which would be better one to go with for this driver - standard or extended cubo?

Model 18SW2200
Diameter 18 in
Impedance 8 Ω
RMS Power 1100 Wrms
Program Power 2200 W
Sensitivity 97 dB_SPL
Freq Response 35-1k @-10fdBHZ
Xmax 9 mm
Res Freq (FS) 34 Hz
Equiv Vol (Vas) 209 L
Elec Q (Qes) .37
Mech Q (Qms) 7.2
Total Q (Qts) .35
Sd: Cone Area 1210 CM2
Mms: 209 g
Strength Factor 25.5 Tm
RE 6.2 Ω
VC Diameter 4 in

More
11 years 2 weeks ago #19794 by Cubo15
Replied by Cubo15 on topic Re: Cubo 18

Would u ever draw the plans for the cubo 218 (3.6cm lower)????

I might...I probably will...one day..

do you think these drivers will work well in the Cubo18 ?

That driver seems to be the equivalent of the B&C 18TBX100.

Drivers like the 18TBX100 are not the most efficient. Efficiency is basically calculated from Fs^3 / Qes/Qts x Vas. If you compare these with for instance the Eminence Kappa 15LF, you'll see that the Fs is lower, Qes is about the same, and the Vas is higher, so ultimately one could expect a similar efficiency to the Kappa 15LF. On the good side, the last time I measured the Kappa 15LF in Cubo 15 Standard it showed an f10 of 35 Hz (pretty allround).

The benefit from these drivers would be the 4" VC and low power compression plus the abilty to push some air if plenty of power is available. Meaning that you'll need an amplifer that could easily deliver about 1000 - 1500 W per driver. Also I would advise to put the high pass closer to 30 Hz then 40 Hz (a driver that doesn't move doesn't cool).

It would work best in Cubo 18 Extended.

Best regards

More
10 years 10 months ago #20211 by Mikkel Nielsen
Replied by Mikkel Nielsen on topic Re: Cubo 18
Hello Cubo

I've just bought two Fane 18b 600 drivers and intend to build a couple of cubo's to load them in. Which version would be best for maximum low end extension 30 hz up to 80hz (ish) with this driver? And could you email me that versions plans please (mikkelnielsen1 at googlemail dot com).

Thanks

Mikkel

More
10 years 9 months ago #20249 by paulronanqed
Replied by paulronanqed on topic Cubo 18
I'm building some double 18" Cubo's in the next couple of weeks. I'm wanting something that looks and sounds like these - www.dropbox.com/s/j070aakp3fiuz1e/Stone%...0picture.jpg%202.jpg

Any pointers gladly accepted

More
10 years 9 months ago #20262 by Cubo15
@Mikkel: I have send you the plans and a short description.

Any pointers gladly accepted

Reverse the bottom cabinet so that the horn mouths combine, this will give a structual benefit.

Best regards

Cubo
The following user(s) said Thank You: paulronanqed

More
10 years 9 months ago #20310 by polomex
Replied by polomex on topic Cubo 18
Hi, I don't know too much about subwoofer so I may be completly wrong, but do you think it's possible to add an exension horn to it so it can go lower? and if yes, how can you calculate the mesures?

More
10 years 9 months ago - 10 years 9 months ago #20317 by Cubo15
The thing about tapped horns/ hybrides is that increasing the low end response is best done by increasing the horn length inbetween the front and rear of the driver as does increasing the throat chamber in case of a hybride.

Increasing the horn length after the driver is dictated by the parameters above.

In this post I've shown the results for a Cubo 15 horn extension that's 75 x 75 x 62 cm (H x D x W) for a Cubo 15/ 18 standing up. The horn mouth could be somewhat increased but I wouldn't use more depth (I think the ~ 75 cm extra horn path length is pretty much optimised and would fit nicely from a 153 x153 cm sheet for a double).

freespeakerplans.com/forum/38-hosted-pla...t=10&start=280#16655

Best regards

Cubo
Last edit: 10 years 9 months ago by Cubo15. Reason: Subliminal message added

More
10 years 8 months ago #20449 by djv-rod
Replied by djv-rod on topic Cubo 18
Hello, I am very eager to get started on making my subs with these plans. The questions I have are (since im not experienced in making subs) what are the pros and cons of installing a plate amp to the cabinet? For an amp plate measuring 12"X8" will the cubo 18 be enough or the cubo 18 extended version will be better? I prefer the cubo 18 inch subs because of its compact size but if these wont work with the plate amp placement, what other plans would you recommend?

Here are the components I wish to use.
* Celestion 18"
www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?partnumber=299-420
* Bash 500W Digital Subwoofer Plate Amplifier
www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?partnumber=300-752

Thanks so much for your time.

Vince

More
10 years 8 months ago #20450 by bgrade
Replied by bgrade on topic Re: Cubo 18
Cubo sub is bigger than Cubo 18 extended. Cubo 18 and Cubo 18 extended are the same size externally.

Time to create page: 0.255 seconds