Cubo 18

More
11 years 1 month ago #19658 by tweeter box
Replied by tweeter box on topic Re: Cubo 18
is there a cut sheet for the extended version anywhere? decided to build one n give em a go :)

Time is longer than road.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 1 month ago #19659 by sn95
Replied by sn95 on topic Re: Cubo 18

tweeter box wrote: is there a cut sheet for the extended version anywhere? decided to build one n give em a go :)

. Go to plans ,CUBO 18 .
The following user(s) said Thank You: singhshine87

More
11 years 1 month ago #19661 by Cubo15
Replied by Cubo15 on topic Re: Cubo 18
@Sn95: Looks like a good driver, I do not know the brand but they seem to have the right priorities. Cubo 18 Extended it is.

Subtract the dot to make the link work

@Billy C: If you're only going to give it 600-700 Watts, the 18XL1600 wouldn't be in my top 10, for the same reason why the Lamborghini Avantador wouldn't be in my top 10 if my speed limit would be kept to under 45 mph (I would rather drive a 40 ton tank then). That comparison will make less sense the longer you think about it, so stop it right there.

The HP1020 will suit that style a lot better. It's lighter in every way (got to be cheaper), has it's parameters optimised where it counts in your particular situation and still has a 4" VC, what more could you want.

Where would the 18XL1600 be in place? If you've plenty of power to spare, like 1000 - 2000 Watts easily or in a 25 -30 Hz design. Your not still thinking about that comparison are ya? Stop it!

Best regards

Cubo

More
11 years 1 month ago #19662 by Billy C
Replied by Billy C on topic Re: Cubo 18
Ok Cubo,

bad comparison with the Lambo and the tank. I am still thinking about and it is making less and less sense.

So what would be your up to date top 10 choices for neo and top 10 for ferrite? Keep in mind that ~700watts 8ohms and ~40hz. I am looking to match the output of two dual 18 bass reflex cabs getting ~1400watts at 4ohms each ~40hz hpf with two cubo18s getting 700watts at 8ohms each ~40hz hpf. I am basically trying to take full advantage of the efficiency of this cabinet. What it comes down to is two cubo18's outrunning two dual18 BRs. The dual 18 BRs consuming twice the power from the wall, taking up twice the space, and weighing nearly twice as much as the cubo18's. If that can happen, your cabinet is truly amazing. With careful driver selection, cabinet build quality, and precision processing, I believe it is totally possible.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks!

P.S. still thinking about the Lambo vs. tank

More
11 years 1 month ago - 11 years 1 month ago #19663 by Billy C
Replied by Billy C on topic Re: Cubo 18
also something seems strange...

here is that link to the product page for that driver posted earlier
www.prvaudio.com/18sw2200.html

notice how identical the cast frame is to the b&c drivers
www.bcspeakers.com/products/lf-driver-fe/18-0/18tbx100

I believe the frame is the same casting for their neo driver too
www.bcspeakers.com/products/lf-driver-neo/18-0/18nw100

also it looks like Carvin is using the same castings here in the US, maybe getting them supplied through someone like B&C
www.carvinguitars.com/products/NE18-8

It could also be that a company is supplying these castings to everyone and everyone seems to be putting there own magnet, motor, and cone on it.

Also another thing is PRV seems to be using more than one of the castings made popular by B&C
Last edit: 11 years 1 month ago by Billy C.

More
11 years 1 month ago #19664 by sn95
Replied by sn95 on topic Re: Cubo 18
Yes it looks to be the same frame is B&C

More
11 years 1 month ago #19678 by Cubo15

decided to build one n give em a go

Welcome to the family ;)

If that can happen, your cabinet is truly amazing. With careful driver selection, cabinet build quality, and precision processing, I believe it is totally possible

Well, looking at y2stevo's measurement, that seems to hold up from ~70 Hz and up (adding 3 dB to the 2x18" for double the power of the Cubo 18).
www.freespeakerplans.com/component/kunen...id=0&start=210#19101

Driver selection is a mayor issue. However a driver with the greatest overal SPL gain seems more than once to compete with sound quality.

For now, I feel that my observations and conclusions of the last 3 years are worth more then a top 10. Thanks to the numourous feedback from end users on the fora (plus over 500 through e-mail) a top 10 will eventually form.

Till then let's promote build quality and let's wait what the future will bring?

Best regards

Cubo

More
11 years 1 month ago - 11 years 1 month ago #19696 by Lofobia
Replied by Lofobia on topic Re: Cubo 18
Is it possible to build a 2x18" cubo or will it be better to build 2 1x18" cubo?

Anyone who got experience in building 2x18" cubo?
Last edit: 11 years 1 month ago by Lofobia.

More
11 years 1 month ago #19718 by Cubo15
Best way would be to put the mouths together, so that you can use a single divider, without the panel bracings. Apart from that structual/ weight benefit, there won't be any pro's / con's other then those from the ongoing singles vs doubles debate.

Anyone who got experience in building 2x18" cubo?

Me, me, pick me.

If you make the Cubo 218 about 3.6 cm lower then 2 times a single, you can still cut it out of the same sheets, strictly without altering performance. If however you want them to be 124 x 62 x 65 cm, you'll likely need an extra sheet.

Mostly seen double Cubo 15's tho.

Best regards

Cubo

More
11 years 1 month ago #19723 by Lofobia
Replied by Lofobia on topic Re: Cubo 18
okay, thanks for your answer :)

i´ll think this over and see if there might be a 2x18" cubo ;)

Time to create page: 0.979 seconds