file Cubo Sub

6 years 7 months ago - 6 years 7 months ago #24030 by Cubo15
Replied by Cubo15 on topic Cubo Sub
@Lawbadman: First I would define what you call lots of low bass. I think it would be easiest if you would link me to some of your typical songs on youtube. Based on that I can then tell you what design suits you best. If you're already sure you need Cubo Sub (and not Cubo 18), there's plenty of drivers I could advise from PE in the $250 - 300 range, just not those two ;)

To Orikei: Well, unless I'm missing something that 155 is spot on as well ;)

To get what your friend experienced, I would need a more exact/ detailed description of the problem. However if it was a common problem, I would have heard of it by now (from the Cubo Sub-community), which I didn't. That makes me believe it's a case-specific problem.
Likely it's construction related or the driver is not bolted down tight enough. Use t-nuts and M6 bolts and bolt it down as if it's the only thing that matters.

Generally, people would use a 12 gauge wire attached to a Speakon (female) at the back. A Speakon - Speakon cable (male-male) would then connect the Cubo to the output stage of the amplifier, Before the amplifier, after the music source, is where the active crossover is located (using xlr). Passive filters do not make much sense in this scenario.

Are you using a translator service by any chance?

Best regards Cubo

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

6 years 7 months ago #24031 by Cubo15
@Capicva: Only saw your pictures in your updated post just now, very interesting finish that you don't see every day and I got a glimpse of the photographer as well ;)

I have heaps of build progress pictures, happy to share them if anyone else wants to see.

If you post them here, I'll make sure they reach other eyes as well.

6 years 7 months ago #24033 by Orikei
Replied by Orikei on topic Cubo Sub
Hmm, not sure where ky 165 has come from then xD hopefully the added 10mm doesnt give any noticable effect

The barky box was fine before in tapped horn config, said builder did use ALOT of bog, many short cuts on braces and mighty MDF - i've put it down to that - no one else has had the issue like you say

Using 12 guage from the driver to a speakon seemed the easiest idea - DIY x-overs are shady at best :p
I will also be running a parralel out by bridging the +/- of the in speakon to the +/- of the out

Do i need to be aware of any reverse wiring? I.e negative wire to positive terminal? This was also information aquired from the barky box owner, so not entirelt sure

Ive also added a piece, about 25mm wide just under the triangle bracing as i got a little happy with the router - will this effect the end result at all? I wont be building future boxes in the same manor

No translator here, just have a funny way of wording some things i guess
Attachments:

6 years 7 months ago #24034 by capicva
Replied by capicva on topic Cubo Sub
@Cubo15 I'm pretty sure you quoted Orikei there, but I did upload my build pics to a gallery on my own server (to avoid swarming the forum):

photon.colectico.org/index.php?/category/1

Feel free to use those pics.

About the finish, it's two coats of monolayer polyurethane on a weird grey color (that gives a funny green hue under direct sunlight), over two coats of white primer over some nitrocellulose sealant on the okoume plywood. On the pics you'll spot my father in law who is very crafty with a spray gun.

6 years 7 months ago #24035 by lawbadman
Replied by lawbadman on topic Cubo Sub
I will be using the Cubo Sub mainly for live PA and some DJ so a flat frequency response from 100hz down to 30Hz would be needed.
Can you suggest drivers from Parts Express that can deliver that kind of performance?

6 years 7 months ago #24036 by Orikei
Replied by Orikei on topic Cubo Sub
Hmm, not sure where ky 165 has come from then xD hopefully the added 10mm doesnt give any noticable effect

The barky box was fine before in tapped horn config, said builder did use ALOT of bog, many short cuts on braces and mighty MDF - i've put it down to that - no one else has had the issue like you say

Using 12 guage from the driver to a speakon seemed the easiest idea - DIY x-overs are shady at best :p
I will also be running a parralel out by bridging the +/- of the in speakon to the +/- of the out

Do i need to be aware of any reverse wiring? I.e negative wire to positive terminal? This was also information aquired from the barky box owner, so not entirelt sure

Ive also added a piece, about 25mm wide just under the triangle bracing as i got a little happy with the router - will this effect the end result at all? I wont be building future boxes in the same manor

No translator here, just have a funny way of wording some things i guess

6 years 7 months ago #24038 by Cubo15
@Lawbadman: Well, I can advise you some drivers for Cubo Sub but the scenario you describe doesn't exactly sound like needing 30 Hz performance at all. Especially for live music and 90% of DJ's I would stop at 40 Hz. There's also some types of hiphop (like lil wayne) and edm (especially trap) that I wouldn't play at home unless I've got 30 Hz performance. That's why I asked for some songs ;)

Cubo 18 Extended; B&C 18PZB100, B&C 18RBX100. Celestion FTR18-4080FD,
B&C 18TBX100

Cubo Sub; B&C 18RBX10, B&C 18TBX100

@Orikei: This also depends on your tops but generally, with the magnet visible doesn't need reversed wiring, however trying them both is quick and easily done. Not sure what you mean with the 25 mm bit but it sounds small enough, not to matter in the overall scheme of things.

@Capicva: I'm sure to use those pics at some point ;)

Best regards Cubo

6 years 6 months ago #24076 by Maikolmks
Replied by Maikolmks on topic Cubo Sub
Hi Mr. Cube, i write from Italy. Sorry for my English but I use a translator. I have eight Eighteensound 18W1300 available and would like to build eight of CuboSub but I do not know if this driver works well in there. My Eighteensound seems to have the specifications to work in Cube18 (Footnotes: 18 "drivers preferably with an EBP of 100 or higher, Fs (22-42 Hz), Qts (0.25-0.58), Vas (200-450L). (Eighteensound 18w1300: Ebp 100, Fs 35, Qts 0.33, Vas 336 lt) So can it work in Cubosub too?

6 years 6 months ago #24081 by Cubo15
Hi Maikol,

The 18W1300 was designed as bass driver so it will work in Cubo Sub but it will work best in Cubo 18 Extended. Cubo Sub will go the lowest, Cubo 18 Extended will go the loudest.

My guess is that it will work best at moderate power (500 - 1000 W amplifier) with a 24 dB/octave (or even 48 dB/octave) high pass at 30 Hz in Cubo Sub because it has a very light moving mass (only 129 gram). It is also very efficient (at 3.9%) meaning it will, by design work better as frequency rises.

Best regards Cubo
The following user(s) said Thank You: Maikolmks

6 years 6 months ago #24083 by Maikolmks
Replied by Maikolmks on topic Cubo Sub
Hello Mr. CUBO, thanks for the reply. I follow your advice and build Cubo18 Extended. If I have to build a Cubo218 version, do better A or B?
Attachments: