file R2U system. The final stages.

13 years 6 months ago #9567 by levyte357
Replied by levyte357 on topic R2U system. The final stages.

Tony.A.S.S. wrote: My demo rig will consist of 4 RX18jnr's on the bottom, and it looks like I'll run 2 Matrix 6000's in bridge mode which will give me some headroom for the subs.

Did you do an Amp A/B Test yet Tony?

I could email you a couple of mp3s, to help compare "sub" response. smiley29

I'm kinda partial to the idea of bridging CA12s, tbh...

\"When in Vegas, do as the vegasians do\".

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

13 years 6 months ago #9570 by tony.a.s.s.
Replied by tony.a.s.s. on topic R2U system. The final stages.
My testing will start when the whole system is up. Before the final decision is taken I have to hear the whole rig in context. I can certainly get an idea about sub by testing frequency response, but that won't tell me what it sounds like. I have always been led to believe that running an amp in bridge mode is the most efficient way to do it. Perhaps someone would like to comment.

Peace and goodwill to all speaker builders

13 years 6 months ago #9572 by david
Replied by david on topic R2U system. The final stages.
i am tempted by the matrix amps too, the 5000 version in bridge mono would be more than enough and it weights nothing+its cheap for the power.
but reading the website & manual, at first it looks like the amps would deliver fine power in bridge mode, then

Although some of the amplifier models are rated for 2 ohms usage it is not generally
recommended that speaker loads less than 4 ohms are presented to any given amplifier
channel. As performance can sometimes be degraded

my only experience with bridge @ 4ohm is with crest pro series. running ok, never had a problem

my other option would be void infinite 8 mk2, 2400w/ch, not enough for 2x 18sw115 per channel but looks like one of the best bass amp on the market.
i also see the xt 6000g would give 1600w @ 8ohm stereo, 2 x xt6000g can be enough powerful without bridging it...
bit out of topic but any advice is welcome!

13 years 6 months ago - 13 years 6 months ago #9573 by bitzo
Replied by bitzo on topic R2U system. The final stages.
used crown 5000vz, a mule (110v 220v it doesn't care), enough for everything you have and you'll have. Fully serviceable in Italy and you can sell and buy in the used market. smiley2

13 years 6 months ago - 13 years 6 months ago #9575 by levyte357

Tony.A.S.S. wrote: I have always been led to believe that running an amp in bridge mode is the most efficient way to do it. Perhaps someone would like to comment.

Many will argue about the efficiency, and extra weight incurred by only having 2x cabs per amp.

However IMHO, if speaker cable length constraints are adhered to, and strong, quality built, name brands are used, bridged amps give the no compromise, best sub, money can buy.

Let me share a little nugget regarding build quality with you Tony.

Browsing Crown Macrotech specs recently, I noticed the MA1200 (rated 2x 495wpc @ 4 ohm, 2x 700wpc @ 2 ohms), has 2x 900VA rated torroidial transformers.

After speaking to couple of amp repair engineers, they tell me a number of "other, well known" amps, rated at 1kw-1.5kwpc @ 4 ohms, upto 1800wpc @ 2 ohms, only had 1x torroidial, rated at 1.8KVA.. Strange ?

13 years 6 months ago #9576 by david

bitzo wrote: used crown 5000vz, a mule (110v 220v it doesn't care), enough for everithing you have and you'll have. Fully serviceable in Italy and you can sell and buy in the used market. smiley2

still expensive here in used market, for the money i'd prefer crest 9001 as i have all crest amps...
but still not enough for the 18sw115 rated power

13 years 6 months ago #9577 by levyte357

david wrote: my other option would be void infinite 8 mk2, 2400w/ch, not enough for 2x 18sw115 per channel

Would like to see how 18sw115 in correct enclosure, handles real 1kw of 32hz-80hz sub, from quality amp.

Over the years, have seen many drivers, with manufacturers claiming 2400W+ peak power handling, yet the same drivers expired after given true 800W-1kw at end of the night.

13 years 6 months ago #9578 by mykey-
Replied by mykey- on topic R2U system. The final stages.
check out the PKN EX 6000 Tony, it don't do bridge, but has plenty of welly

13 years 6 months ago #9579 by david
Would like to see how 18sw115 in correct enclosure, handles real 1kw of 32hz-80hz sub, from quality amp.

Over the years, have seen many drivers, with manufacturers claiming 2400W+ peak power handling, yet the same drivers expired after given true 800W-1kw at end of the night.[/quote]

same story as SP... :lol: the 18tbx100 you say dont handle the power, can get real 1kw all night. dub music, 30/80hz...since i cant have more than 4 scoops beause of storage/small van, i'd like to try those 18sw115, but tbx work great...

13 years 6 months ago #9582 by tony.a.s.s.
Replied by tony.a.s.s. on topic R2U system. The final stages.

mykey- wrote: check out the PKN EX 6000 Tony, it don't do bridge, but has plenty of welly

I've studied these amps as much as I can. Been in touch with them and got the prices. Whatever amp I go with, I want to stay loyal and have a reason for doing so. There isn't much of a margin for selling on. It's pretty obvious where my new system will be aimed at, and if an install comes up, you need to be able to sell the amps on and retain a good margin for the service you should supply.
At the moment, you can't do this with PKN, and the only way they will achieve something reasonable margin wise is to crank the end user price up, and then they may become just another expensive amp.
I've no doubt these amps are really good, but as we all know a good amp isn't the whole story.

Peace and goodwill to all speaker builders

Moderators: tony.a.s.s.