file Amp for 4 Scoops

15 years 7 months ago #3504 by bassmish
Replied by bassmish on topic Amp for 4 Scoops
I destroyed (burnt outsomething crucial whichhas not yet been identified)a peavey 2500 recently after running it regularly in bridge mode going to one kilomax loaded super scooper. These drivers are pretty demanding on powerfor what they give so that prob had some thing to do with it. The peavey always made more noise than a matrix 2.1, but the matrix never clips, it was bought second hand yet has never had a problem whereas the peavey seems to love clipping and ws bought new and has broken after 4 years. Have an old warrior 2500 and this also handles a scoops much nicer than the peavey, and this is a really old, heavyamp. The peavey was louder than the matrix 2.1's and the warrior, but much more tempremental, either quietish, or dangerously rinsing it an near clipping, always the biggest worry as far as damage is concerned to the amp. So I'd say that it's nicer to have a second hand, slightly more quality amp, even if it can't quite give as much power as a new one, then eventually get some proper fat amp's when you've got money to burn.
Although it seems like a nice idea to have one amp for all your scoops I reckon as far as power to money ratios go you're far better getting second hand, amps and having one per scoop, or at least one per 2 but then I don't know how you could run 2 8 ohm drivers off one amp with out only making use of half of it's available power, (not with the impedance rating I'm used to on smaller amps).
Don't really know loads about sound quality from amps having not much first hand experience with really nice ampsas you can pob tell, but it seems like the best thing to do is buy second hand amps and have one for each scoops, gain 50Kg or so!.. but save loads of money and still get lots of power, you're amps will last longer powering fewer drivers (so you might just be able to sell them on when it's time to upgrade), you need less thick, cheaper cable and cable resistance is hardly an issue compared to powering multiple scoops.
I reckon with 750 euros, if you spend a bit of time on e-bay, you can get 2 2000 watt amps for your 2 scoops, another for your mid and a small amp for highs, it sounds silly, but there are serious deals to be had,actually you might need a bit more, but not much and that will make lots of noise,or you could just work one big amp really hard with 4 scoops, not get as much noise and riskdrivers bysending clipped signals to them.
(I hate to be all about the noise and not audio quality, but when doing bass on a budget, noise for me takes piority over quality, which for bass, people won't notice very muchif it's really tuff)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

15 years 7 months ago #3506 by youngblood
Replied by youngblood on topic Amp for 4 Scoops
Best bet for 750 euros is biotecs Inf 7mk1.
Check for sale section on SP.

\"Gentleman you can`t fight in here, this is the war room.\"

15 years 7 months ago #3507 by bassmish
2 x 900 w rms into 8 ohms<?: PREFIX = O /><O:P></O:P>
2 x 1500 w rms into 4 ohms<O:P></O:P>
2 x 2300 w rms into 2 ohms<O:P></O:P>
1 x 4600 w rms bridged into 4 ohms

I don't see how yo can power 4 scoops from that, if you have 2 pairs of 2 scoops in parallel, one pairper channel, assuming drivers are 8ohm, then you send 1500watts to each pair which is not only miniscule but a waste of power and 750W surely isn't eough for one driver without working a nice amp real hard, BUT if there were 2 of them, that'd be a different story!
so why would you buy that for 4 scoops? (apart from it being better quality so having more speaker watts per watts taken from the plug)
or would you just use 4ohm drivers and do something different?

15 years 7 months ago #3509 by deadbeat
Replied by deadbeat on topic Amp for 4 Scoops
[img]smileys/smiley36.gif[/img][img]smileys/smiley36.gif[/img][img]smileys/smiley36.gif[/img]

lev, where are you?

Beranek\'s law
\'bits of ply round a driver\'

15 years 7 months ago #3511 by bassmish
explain deadbeat?

15 years 7 months ago #3512 by sks01
Replied by sks01 on topic Amp for 4 Scoops
best man to ask,search out some of his posts on sp
this is his own feild of personal interest and will give the best info around on this sort of thing, like i said though ex hire stock is a good place to start, something that will do 1800W 4r would be plenty imho (exactly what ive got on 4 scoops) 1500 not so good youll end up pushing it too much, two amps good but heavy, its a world of compromises and different ways of doing it but if your budgets a high priority best get bargain hunting.

do it for the love of the music

15 years 7 months ago #3513 by bassmish
sorry, yeah I seen that guy's posts a lot,was just thought that perhaps deadbeat had some knowledge to share, thought Iwas missing something.
Do you have any reasons, other than weight, that would justify usingon big amp instead of 4 mediums, cos I can only see dis-advantages

15 years 7 months ago #3515 by levyte357
Replied by levyte357 on topic Amp for 4 Scoops

bitzo wrote: Hi,
I have 4 18" super scooper loaded with 2 beyma 18g550 and 2 celestion ftr18-4080hdx. I want to drive all this cab with one amp. I've found peavey 4000 hz which is a good compromise. Have someone tested this amp ? Do you have any suggestion about other amps?

Cheers, bitzo</span>

bitzo wrote: My budget is around 750 euros.

750 euros is about £585.

In UK, best/biggest used amp for that kinda money would be EV P3000, Inf 7mk1, Peavey CS4080, GPS3400.

And I know people using those right now to drive 2x PD1850s per channel, never mind 2x 4" VC drivers per channel.

Not all amps are made equal.

Ive come across many old but quality 2x1500wpc amps @4ohm, that would smack a lot of cheap amps on sub, that claim to be 2kwpc @ 4ohms.

\"When in Vegas, do as the vegasians do\".

15 years 7 months ago #3516 by bitzo
Replied by bitzo on topic Amp for 4 Scoops

bassmish wrote:
sorry, yeah I seen that guy's posts a lot,was just
thought that perhaps deadbeat had some knowledge to share, thought
Iwas missing something.
<div>Do you have any reasons, other than weight, that would justify
usingon big amp instead of 4 mediums, cos I can only see dis-advantages</div>

The disadvantage are weight, power consuptions, space in the rack, cost. Buy a bigger amp instead of two little ones is cheaper.

many thanks Lev, for my budget these are the best choices. So In your opinion (don't care about the budget) what is the best choice for a 2kw @ 4 ohm stereo?
And what about digiamp? I mean powersoft digam, king shiloh uses them.
Edited by: bitzo

15 years 7 months ago #3517 by sks01
Replied by sks01 on topic Amp for 4 Scoops
I mean powersoft digam, king shiloh uses them.

out of your budget i would've thought as are most lightweight amps of sufficient quality, king shiloh can afford volt drivers too, how the hell have they got so much cash [img]smileys/smiley36.gif[/img]

what you say is true lev but it would be wrong to dismiss out of hand the merits of cheap amps, just as long as you don't take the power ratings as gospel doesn't mean it cant kick out a fair whack of power, just means you need to go on a hunt for the right price.

do it for the love of the music