New Driver better than 1850.. (Yawn, again) - Fane Prime XS

More
13 years 1 week ago #12776 by Tony Wilkes
It is probably a half decent reflex driver as to its reliability time will tell. It may work in large chamber scoops only tests will prove that, what it ain't is 100db/watt or anything close.

I hope that Fane are going to keep their eyes firmly on the QC side of things in Chine because if they let that slip it could be a very costly exercise for them.

Tony

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 years 1 week ago #12777 by tony.a.s.s.
One observation I would make here, If I were a loudspeaker manufacturer, and I had to make a new 18"speaker, I would make it to perform in a reflex cab. On a world wide sales situation, the scoop is a tiny consideration compared to reflex cabs and even folded horns. The best you can hope for is that a speaker also may work well in a scoop, if that's your bag.

Peace and goodwill to all speaker builders

• levyte357
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
13 years 1 week ago #12780 by levyte357

Tony.A.S.S. wrote: I would make it to perform in a reflex cab. On a world wide sales situation, the scoop is a tiny consideration compared to reflex cabs and even folded horns.

B&C have perfected the reflex side of this, at many different price levels, but seems now, Fane just churn out another mediocre 18" driver every other month, no more innovative drivers like Colossus 18-400, 18-600XB.

Would agree with sentiment regarding making drivers just for scoops. Usually, good scoop driver is just a strong FLH driver, with decent Vas, and happy in FLH of slightly bigger chamber. Void V18-1000 is typical example of this.

Ocurred to me yesterday, Fanes flagship drivers at the moment, Colossus 18-1000/18-1500 are just poor copies of the Turbomax 1000/Turbomax 1200.
Rest of the new gear out since last year seems to be Eminence spec drivers with a little more Xmax, but the trademark low BL, and high qts/high qes which suggests cheap and nasty build components/motor systems.

\"When in Vegas, do as the vegasians do\".

More
13 years 1 week ago #12827 by PauliePaul74

levyte357 wrote:

Tony.A.S.S. wrote: I would make it to perform in a reflex cab. On a world wide sales situation, the scoop is a tiny consideration compared to reflex cabs and even folded horns.

Ocurred to me yesterday, Fanes flagship drivers at the moment, Colossus 18-1000/18-1500 are just poor copies of the Turbomax 1000/Turbomax 1200.
Rest of the new gear out since last year seems to be Eminence spec drivers with a little more Xmax, but the trademark low BL, and high qts/high qes which suggests cheap and nasty build components/motor systems.

Bit of a harsh observation there Sir..... smiley3

Top marks for Mr Tony.... spot on as usual. smiley20

• levyte357
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
13 years 1 week ago #12828 by levyte357

PauliePaul wrote:
Bit of a harsh observation there Sir..... smiley3

Yes, was a bit..

Refreshing, talking with you earlier...

I want to see Fane doing what they have a history of.. Drivers like Col 12MB, 15B/XB, 18B400, 18XB600, HF250, ST5020 etc, etc...

Any chance of a 5" VC machine, with Fs=30hz,BL=32, Qts=0.25, Qes=0.22, Vas=250, Xmax=12mm ? smiley23

More
12 years 11 months ago #13002 by ArthurG
hmmm excuse me Levyte but your trash talk about Prime 18XS was so annoying and misinformed that I decided to join in and tell the truth smiley21
I don't want to copy/past so just click the link below and reasd some real facts from someone who uses the 18XS since 4 months wihtout any single issue:
forum.speakerplans.com/new-fane-colossus...st518232.html#518232

Best regards
Arthur, long time lurker now in da place
The following user(s) said Thank You: mngati

• levyte357
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
12 years 11 months ago #13009 by levyte357

ArthurG wrote: hmmm excuse me Levyte but your trash talk about Prime 18XS was so annoying and misinformed

Time will tell. smiley2

More
12 years 11 months ago #13011 by ArthurG

levyte357 wrote: Time will tell. smiley2

time has already decided my friend smiley2

More
12 years 11 months ago #13013 by ArthurG

Tony Wilkes wrote: I hope that Fane are going to keep their eyes firmly on the QC side of things in Chine because if they let that slip it could be a very costly exercise for them.

Tony

Tony,

Mark is in China half of his time now. He monitors the production very carefully. All equipment and manufacturing processes are the same than in UK and I'm very satisfied by the result.

In the last 6 months, I bought around 6000 drivers from Fane (made in China) and I had much less problems than with some famous Italian and Spanish brands... For example, today, I have QC'ed 300 drivers (both free air and inside cabinets) and only 1 failed (18XB cone rubbing). Last Friday, I have tested 400 drivers and all passed. I have also only positive feedback from my customers. Most of them were using EU drivers before and they are happy.

Finally, I don't understand why people is comparing this new 18XS to 1850. Their purpose are totally different and the philosophy behind the design split them apart ! 1850 is for horn and small chamber scoops. 18XS is for compact BR and large chamber scoops. 18XS is more like PD186 with higher excursion.

Cheers
Arthur

More
12 years 11 months ago #13015 by bitzo

ArthurG wrote:

Tony Wilkes wrote: ......

In the last 6 months, I bought around 6000 drivers from Fane (made in China) and I had much less problems than with some famous Italian and Spanish brands... ....

Hi Arthur first of all welcome to the forum then...the spanish brand ok... is beyma I guess but what is the italian brand? There are a few...

Time to create page: 0.252 seconds