file Germoglio Le Cléach 10" mid: now coaxial

14 years 1 month ago - 14 years 1 month ago #7846 by bitzo
hi,
I've modelled a trap mid, load a 10" (kappapro 10) with Le Clèach expansion. I simmed the rear chamber dampening putting visc=100, may be higher, the compression chamber=cone volume that is 840 cc, with the bungs inside the cone may be more less. but I don't know th
It have an hexagonal baffle with a phase plug, the mouth is rectangular.
here's the sim

here's some upper view, (only half of the horn, I'm lazy)

side view

the max external shape, on y=o is the contact point on the upperview

front view

the circle is the phase plug at the horn throat, the circle morph into the elypse since the contact point then it decreases as you can see in the upper view and in the side view.

now the question...I modelled this plug to have a contact point between plug and the horn side panel, for mounting purpose but can creates resonance...I think.. however I can model different shape mantaing the same expansion...so thoughts? advice? tips?

cheers, bitzo

edit: I calculated the phase bungs into cone volume, now the compression chamber is 187 cc
here's the sim

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

14 years 1 month ago #7848 by djlivex
Replied by djlivex on topic Germoglio Le Cléach 10" mid: now coaxial
Hi Bitzo,

I am in the USA and looking for a f/g horn and most are very expensive and without a phase plug. I am amazed that in the near future we will see posible plans from you with regards to this 10" horn. Which 10" driver are you planning on using for this horn? I have 2 PD102ER that I have in original PD boxes that need a new home? Just curious thanks! :clap:

14 years 1 month ago #7849 by bitzo
Replied by bitzo on topic Germoglio Le Cléach 10" mid: now coaxial
eminence kappapro 10, but....the plug is modeled around its dust cap.

No proplem I can sim and model with pd102er, but I need the dustcap diameter and the disance between the top of it and the baffle.

cheers

14 years 1 month ago #7850 by djlivex
Hi bitzo,

Thanks for the quick reply the PD102ER cap diameter is 57.5 mm and the height to the baffle gasket is 32.2 mm but the Fs is high at 82 Hz and other parameters are high as well and this driver can go as high as 6.5kHz. With this horn how high can I cross it? Is it posible to 4.0kHz like the old Turbosound TSE111. And only rated at 100 Watts. Have you built a prototype? Also what would be the phase plug made of? I have a shop that can make the shape from wood and posible fiberglassed foam for less weight. I would also like to try the new FaitalPro 10FH500 and it is readily available here in the USA for other DIY'ers and I heard from other friends of mine that they have used this driver and is great sounding. Can this be considered if you have a set of completed plans I'll built it both with my 2 PD102ER and the FaitalPro 10FH500. I will just modify the phase plug to fit the Faital as I do not have the driver yet. Thanks Bitzo! smiley32

14 years 1 month ago #7853 by bitzo

djlivex wrote: Hi bitzo,

Thanks for the quick reply the PD102ER cap diameter is 57.5 mm and the height to the baffle gasket is 32.2 mm but the Fs is high at 82 Hz and other parameters are high as well and this driver can go as high as 6.5kHz. With this horn how high can I cross it? Is it posible to 4.0kHz like the old Turbosound TSE111.

Hi, to me this cab can't crossed more high then 1.2 khz, horn is too long and wide. To reach this freq I have to remodel all the cab.

djlivex wrote: And only rated at 100 Watts. Have you built a prototype?

Never :) I'm a newbie in this type of cab building.

djlivex wrote: Also what would be the phase plug made of? I have a shop that can make the shape from wood and posible fiberglassed foam for less weight. I would also like to try the new FaitalPro 10FH500 and it is readily available here in the USA for other DIY'ers and I heard from other friends of mine that they have used this driver and is great sounding. Can this be considered if you have a set of completed plans I'll built it both with my 2 PD102ER and the FaitalPro 10FH500. I will just modify the phase plug to fit the Faital as I do not have the driver yet. Thanks Bitzo! smiley32

Sorry but if you have a shop....you're a pro builder, I've only to learn from you :) BTW to design this cab I used only free software will and time.

cheers, bitzo

14 years 1 month ago #7855 by djlivex
Hi bitzo,

I am not a pro builder I know of a wood shop that can make me a phase plug in wood or f/g for a fee. Also some drivers can go as high a 4.0 kHz why not incorporate it to the design? Thanks bitzo!

14 years 1 month ago #7861 by bitzo
I need the Le value of pd102er sim it, Le...but imho don't suit for hornloading. Qts too high, vas too high... tms111 load pd104 so different driver. I'll check the faitals, but reaching 4khz from 200hz flat not so possible with a 10" in a horn. Rcf use h6000 horn loaded with rcf MR8N301, and recommened xover point is 2khz, and it is the highest fs 8" I ever seen with a sealed back.

14 years 1 month ago #7864 by bitzo
A REAL improvement!
2 section plug, I calculated the phase volume bungs inside the cone so now the compression chamber is 142 cc.
half upper view

half side view

full front view

and finally......the sim

eminence kappa10 loaded.

14 years 1 month ago #7865 by mykey-
Replied by mykey- on topic Germoglio Le Cléach 10" mid: now coaxial
you have to build this now, you can't tease us like that smiley1

can't wait to see it

I am also wondering how (if ever) Turbosound got up to 4k with that horn?

the phase bung is quite big, but not that big as to take up most of the throat area like the Res F1 seris of cabs

14 years 1 month ago #7866 by bitzo
I have some doubts.....acustical and about fabrication
woofer contour is 26 cm, so I have to unmount the phase plug to unload the driver, apart from that...1 cm of distance between the cone and the horn (I mean the strip where are the holes for bolts) can cause resonance?
And what about the mounting point of phase plug? My idea is to drill the upper e bottom panel to fix some bolts tnutted on the plug.

I want to discuss with other FSP member before start building because there's a lot of issue that I can't figure now. I selected kappapro10 because is a budget driver and for its huge dustcap, so I'll try simming with other drivers but I have to redesign all the plug around the driver.