file FSP-MAGICBOX

15 years 5 months ago #4617 by sks01
Replied by sks01 on topic FSP-MAGICBOX
< ="search_process.asp" method="post" name="dropDownTopicSearch" target="_parent" id="dropDownTopicSearch">
<table border="0" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="0" width="100%">
<t><tr ="tableTopRow">
<td>Topic Search</span></td>
</tr>
<tr ="tableRow">
<td>< name="KW" id="KW" maxlength="35" style="width: 155px;" ="text">
< name="Submit" value="Go" ="submit">
< name="TID" id="TID" value="454" ="">
< name="qTopic" id="qTopic" value="1" ="">
</td>
</tr>
<tr ="tableBottomRow">
<td align="left" valign="top" height="55">Advanced Search</td>
</tr>
</t></table>

do it for the love of the music

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

15 years 5 months ago #4618 by sks01
hmmmm, thats not what i meant to say....

at any rate somethings going a bit odd with the system today so ill say it again, whats anyones thoughts on a TH? with some of the plots ive been messing around with it seems like you should be able to get it playing rather nicely up to 200Hz if push comes to shove when designing it, ive also been having a few ideas about how to cram one into a small a box as possable, or am i likley to get tom danley shouting at me if we post a design like that up? 105db efficiency is what im aming at though im not sure how the xmax is being distributed trying to compromise to that extent.

15 years 5 months ago #4619 by wafflesomd
Replied by wafflesomd on topic FSP-MAGICBOX
I don't think we should just settle on the 15" ported horn. No way it meets the 40hrtz requirement.

Doesn't look like it goes that low.

15 years 5 months ago #4620 by deadbeat
Replied by deadbeat on topic FSP-MAGICBOX

wafflesomd wrote: I don't think we should just settle on the 15" ported horn. No way it meets the 40hrtz requirement.

Doesn't look like it goes that low.

18" ported horn. check a few pages back for how low it goes - JF also has measurements. [img]smileys/smiley17.gif[/img]

If you want not to settle on something, design one yourself or help.
Edited by: Deadbeat

Beranek\'s law
\'bits of ply round a driver\'

15 years 5 months ago #4621 by deadbeat

sKs01 wrote: hmmmm, thats not what i meant to say....

at any rate somethings going a bit odd with the system today so ill say it again, whats anyones thoughts on a TH? with some of the plots ive been messing around with it seems like you should be able to get it playing rather nicely up to 200Hz if push comes to shove when designing it, ive also been having a few ideas about how to cram one into a small a box as possable, or am i likley to get tom danley shouting at me if we post a design like that up? 105db efficiency is what im aming at though im not sure how the xmax is being distributed trying to compromise to that extent.

Sounds nice. I've been doing quite a bit of TH simming lately. Tom is on this forum, but if you look at the sheer amount of TH designs and the help he's given at the start of the great adventure (see 'collaborative tapped horn' thread on diyaudio for starters), I think we'll be fine designing a tapped horn.

BTW, just for your info -
THs sim more ragged than they are in real life (super flat)
This comes at a cost of less than simulated sensitivity.

Applies to current akabak and hornresp sims.

PS

your current sim is a rlh, not a th, is that what you're aiming for? Not sure.

Beranek\'s law

15 years 5 months ago #4624 by sks01
oh no ive got two on the go atm, i should've mentioned, the rlh is down on paper but i wanted to come up with a few options before i say to him go and build this, as im sure i can get better than my first ever design.

15 years 4 months ago #4837 by deadbeat
speakerplans.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=2179&PN=372

Scroll down [img]smileys/smiley3.gif[/img] Edited by: Deadbeat

Beranek\'s law

15 years 4 months ago #4844 by deadbeat
Bump.

Anyone? the designer has turned out to be Mr nineleaves...

Beranek\'s law

15 years 4 months ago #4845 by subsoniks
Replied by subsoniks on topic FSP-MAGICBOX
Just going to find a wall to bang my head against.

Any idea's as to what's going on in that cab?
phase response makes it look like a sealed rear chamber, doesn't look like a tapped horn, a transmission line has been hinted at - maybe with some kind of horn on the front of the cone - still doesn't quite fit. Transmission lines can be very effective at damping FS and just leaving a low hump in the impedance plot.
When I first saw the pics of Bespokes system I assumed they were tapped horns but these are something else.

JaKe

15 years 4 months ago #4854 by sks01
"I assumed they were tapped horns but these are something else."

im assuming the plots are 8th space though, as he keeps saying they're designed for corner loading and the optimal number of cabs is presumably 6 considering the other plot bespoke put up, so a single one with 1w1m would be 92.5db or 98.5 (cant recall addition of cab rule is it 3db per doubling of cabs or per additional speaker?) both of which aren't massively efficient, bandwith looks good but wouldnt a reflex be able to achieve near this bandwidth (admittedly with somewhat of a curtailing at the bottom end so potentialy 21" reflex)

im still verry confused by the impedance though, if he says its a rather out their design then can we assume its not safe to assume that thats correct at all until further notice ive never seen a speaker with such perfect loading charicteristics and that would if true certainly repsesent a gain over a br though i just cant see it working?

in addition with a folded internal scheme the internal reflections would presumably destroy the upper frequency response, so it this another foible in the way it has been modeled.

just my thought's, not necessarily accurate or true.

Edited by: sKs01