• Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
15 years 7 months ago #3741 by deadbeat
Replied by deadbeat on topic FSP-MAGICBOX
PD 186 is black
Fane Colossus 18B600 in grey

I'll sim a few more drivers, then decide whether the design could use some modification.

Beranek\'s law
\'bits of ply round a driver\'

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 years 7 months ago #3742 by jake_fielder
Replied by jake_fielder on topic FSP-MAGICBOX
Haveyou tried it withcombined outputs, I understand that you cant "compare previous" if you "combine outputs".

does the response drop offas quickly as mine does?

• deadbeat
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
15 years 7 months ago #3743 by deadbeat
Sorry Jake,

That was done very quickly and without combined outputs. I've just simmed the 186 with combined and flattens out but there is no extra LF extension. Can't hang around my workstation for much longer, but just decided to upload the pics:

18B600

I would guessuggest simming completely off the top off my head (no t/s paras...):
Celestion FTR18-4080FD
P Audio C18-650EL

Edited by: Deadbeat

Beranek\'s law

More
15 years 7 months ago #3744 by simonr
Replied by simonr on topic FSP-MAGICBOX
@jake, try the ctrl+c keys when the spl graph is displayed. This will save the combined plot for comparison. V19.4.

More
15 years 7 months ago #3745 by jake_fielder
Wow cheers! I never knew that. I usually have 2 hornresps open at the same time ahaha!

P-audio C18-650EL

More
15 years 7 months ago #3746 by jake_fielder
The 18B600 looks exactly the same as my E18-600a!

More
15 years 7 months ago #3748 by simonr
Hi guys, been following the thread with interest while I was away, but I've had the Void v1200 in mind for this. A single can get down to around 37 hz at 130db in a ported horn.
Don't know if the upper frequencies will be good enough. Rather like a sledgehammer to crack a nut, and hugely expensive.It's rather like the FTR with double the xmax and higher power handling to go with it. (Made for scoops!?!.) Oh well. Dig deep into your pockets guys, I thinkwe might be aiming for something like Mykeys cab, which suggests a rarified and expensive driver. (and I notice a distinct abscence of contributions from him, so I think we might be a little too close to home for his liking!). I didn't notice a price restriction on the initial design,have we got a budget cap in place?.

• deadbeat
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
15 years 7 months ago #3749 by deadbeat
me and jake seem to have similar budget caps...[img]smileys/smiley9.gif[/img]...reason for my partially skint driver selection, I'd have to sell some of my gear to get a V18-1200 (which is sort of a mixed blessing...)
But you're absolutely right about the V18-1200. Nice one.

Mykey's cab? I think he's a reasonable man, sells drivers for reasonable prices (MYKEY ARE YOU READING THIS? /stagewhisper)

He's lain bare his cab save dimensions.
It's a C-Bin, with 2 twists. The little hemisphere above the driver that reduces front chamber volume. And the round port in the front. Oh, and the all-curves construction. I think he's even told us the tuning of the port somewhere!

Beranek\'s law

More
15 years 7 months ago #3750 by simonr
@ Deadbeat, I modelled the horn roughly, as an enlarged version of my own. A bit larger, WSX size and a c bin as well !. I agree about price though, pigs ears and silk purses?.

More
15 years 7 months ago #3751 by jake_fielder
I am on a very tight budget, and have just started building some different cabs that i have designed. so it would be a while before i built anything else. I love designing cabs though, and i like the idea ofdesigning a goodcabwith a relativelycheap driver like my e18s.

Time to create page: 0.273 seconds