FSP-MAGICBOX

More
15 years 8 months ago #3754 by simonr
Replied by simonr on topic FSP-MAGICBOX
@Jake, I'm with all the way on that. The v1200 is just too expensive, if considered like for like, but if you have to use 2 18's or 15's instead of one, the cost factor does start to look a lot more promising. The ease of build should start to come into play as well. If all else fails, we do have a reserve option as a last resort.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 years 8 months ago #3756 by jake_fielder
Replied by jake_fielder on topic FSP-MAGICBOX
Whats the last resort?

• deadbeat
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
15 years 8 months ago #3757 by deadbeat
Replied by deadbeat on topic FSP-MAGICBOX
The last resort? Sounds mysterious and creepy, I hope it's not another guessing game!

Progress report:
All my 215 sketches are looking like either BPHs, or 215-style horns, with what looks like resonant pipes in them.

Beranek\'s law
\'bits of ply round a driver\'

More
15 years 8 months ago #3758 by jake_fielder
If you layed 2 of my JFVH next to each other it would look exactly like an oversided USB with a hole at either end!

EDITED my spelltastic spellingEdited by: Jake_Fielder

• deadbeat
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
15 years 8 months ago #3759 by deadbeat
My latest sketch looks like a Martin 215 with a bazooka stuck in it.[img]smileys/smiley36.gif[/img]

I think you should come up with a better name [img]smileys/smiley2.gif[/img] for your lovely design.
So should you simon! So I don't have to go around calling it the HDX (or is that cool enough) or the 'simonhorn'.

On-topic:
Has anybody thought of more effective heatsinks for drivers? I was thinking along the lines of a heat pipe shoved down the pole piece near the voice coil, trailing to an few discreet fins on the back of the cab. Any thoughts? Or is this OTT an unneeded.

Beranek\'s law

More
15 years 8 months ago #3760 by jake_fielder
If the rear chamber is ported the it probably wont need it, i recon. ( im no expert tho )
Theres a discussion in my ported horn thread on speakerplans about vibrating air and if it cools or not etc. have a read (if you havent already).

Also the magnet could be mounted in the throat chamber, everyone seems to be a fan of that, theres probably no chance of over heating if we did it like that.

***** off topic *****
About my cab:I only started calling it that since i had to name allthe files on my computer something. It'll have a cool name soon enough. Me and a friend were talking about calling it "the banshee!" but not because i think its cool! thats kind ofa long running personal joke! I cant think of a name good enough tho...? any ideas peeps

• deadbeat
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
15 years 8 months ago #3761 by deadbeat
Magnet mounted in the front chamber could be a possibility, though integrating it with the current design (as you have to add the displacement to the other side blah blah)...

Actually, I did read that thread. You reminded me of it, though.
I think that the way mine are looking, the port/tube/pipe is so long that there's quite a bit of dead space anyway. I would stuff it anyway...

EDIT:

Off-topic- banshee! I thought they made horrible horrible noises...anyway...
I think either a one word name like that or a 3 letter acronym or both would work!
eg
WPH 'Fielder-class' [img]smileys/smiley36.gif[/img][img]smileys/smiley36.gif[/img][img]smileys/smiley36.gif[/img]
Like a submarine. WPH = wideband ported horn!
No, I'm not serious at all.

Edited by: Deadbeat

Beranek\'s law

More
15 years 8 months ago #3762 by jake_fielder
Fielderbass as in feel-da-bass

With the design i have reducing the front chamber doesnt make too much differance, and the more rear chamber space the better IMO, it just means the port can be shorter.

More
15 years 8 months ago #3763 by tommysb
Replied by tommysb on topic FSP-MAGICBOX
Call it 'the gash frother'

More
15 years 8 months ago #3764 by simonr
Replied by simonr on topic FSP-MAGICBOX
Sorry Guys, I was referring to the v1200. Not exactly playing fair though, and going against the spirit in which this exercise is being conducted.
Back to some pipedreams, and wishing for a blinding flash of inspiration. My brain is rather sluggish at the moment. Deadbeats' fault, he should have kept a shorter leash on that thing.

Time to create page: 0.261 seconds