Worst nightmare.

• tony.a.s.s.
  • Topic Author
More
15 years 10 months ago #2427 by tony.a.s.s.
Worst nightmare. was created by tony.a.s.s.
I've just posted about reversing dustcaps, which is a job I hadn't expected. It didn't help that there were 16 units and the job was going out that night. needless to say, it got done. At the time when it first hits you and you panic, go mad, toys out the pram etc. I think in this game, like a lot of businesses in general, sooner or later it happens.
What has happened to you in the past and how did you resolve it?

Peace and goodwill to all speaker builders

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 years 10 months ago #2457 by mykey
Replied by mykey on topic Worst nightmare.
having just built a new rig consisting of 16 scoops and mid hi's, still painting them at 11.20 pm on a new years eve night, and not yet stringed up

how did I resolve it?I litterally broke down

Anyone got any ply?

More
15 years 10 months ago #2458 by mykey
Infact, the only times I have ever broken down is being in the sound game

its a shame Phil hasn't signed up Tony, he can tell you a few that we went through

One of them was working for the underworld (not the label lol), they had this new club and wanted a system yesterday, same thing, we were stringing up on 1 hour before opening and the Amp's we bought kept blowing all the fuses every time we switched on, AAAAGGGHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

we ended up treating our selves to 1 hours sleep in the back of the Luton, super stress and sleep don't work together, they keep fighting each other lol

we ended up renting amps from you on the quickTony if I remember rightly

this is not PA related but the stress gave me a stroke

Me and Philly boy again, some of you oldies will have heard this already

I got a job doing a polished concrete floor in a new 50 million pound building

because it was a new product for us I decided to fly over a guy from gernany from the company that were supplying the mix, to work with us on it, to show us how best way to poor a pattern

when we had spent 4 hours (18 hour job) measuring the powder pigments and weighing them we were ready to start.......so we had everything ready and the owner of the building was watching over us, we had a few grands worth of products all ready to be laid

I said........right! come on my friend what shall we do with it? he said........I don't know!!

I said ....what do you mean? you're the expert?........ he said.....no i'm not!!!

you could see my heart beating through my shirt

what do'ya mean i said! .....he said the guyyou wanted is on a fishing trip, they sent me instead, and I don't know how to do it!

you know whenyou get one ofthose moments when you're in a dream state and your actually pulling someones head off, and pissing down their kneck's? well that was happening

after one hour it looked terrible, the stress was unreal.......... I had a stroke

after that weekend of being in hospital for 1 and a half days rest, I switched my phone back on to find a message from Phil saying they loved the floor, I couldn't believe it, all that stress for nothing

2 days later we go to oil the floor, Phil walked past me with a bunch of oily rags, i said where are you going to put them? he said in the bin, i said, put them in a cardboard box first ...................wronggggggggg!!!!!!!

the next morning I turned my phone on and had 12 messages all from the architect

they said that there was a fire at the building and I need to go there urgently
50 mill building and we were'nt insured

when I rang Philly boy, he sh*t himself lol

when we arrived all the fitters and staff wouldn't look at us in the face

when we arrived at the floor/offices, the boss said come over here please
it was like seeing the headmaster lol

he walked us to the lift shaft and pointed to a black'nd card borad box, black and sooty at the bottom

he said the night watchmancould smell burning and got the box, (in flames) and threw it down the lift shaft just in time so the sprinklers did'nt go off and ruin the brand new furniture and carpets and computers just installed

have you ever seen a man smoke roll up's with one drag? lol phil was doing it, I have never seen someone smoke like that before, one after the other,he was more stressed after hearing the good news, Iwas over the mooooooooon!!

What didI do? I spent the money on 2 holidays back to back

someone was on my side
Edited by: mykey

Anyone got any ply?

More
15 years 10 months ago #2459 by mykey
don't put rags soaked in oil into a tightspace
they self combust

Booommmmbbbbbbb!!!Edited by: mykey

Anyone got any ply?

More
15 years 10 months ago #2494 by stable
Replied by stable on topic Worst nightmare.
yep happened to a friend up my way. SPent years creating a beautiful house hand crafted - all oiled wood. Just finished after years of work. One night caught fire and lost the lot.... was down to linseed oily rag.

fundly enough he got onto a day time tv prog about it - kinda like changing rooms - and they paid to get it totally rebuilt! lucky.

Also had the floor nightmare - although didn't cause me to end up in hospital. We laid an oak floor about 6 months ago. Oiled it, let it dry, covered it with plastic and hard board so we could continue working without damaging the oak. 3 months later pull up the plastic and what a mess - horrid glaze everyware. Tried a the lot to get that off!

Worst PA expiriance has to be drying freshly painted UV backdrops on the way to the gig over all the kit. Looked good though even if they were still wet when they went up!

More
15 years 9 months ago #2760 by giveortake
Replied by giveortake on topic Worst nightmare.

Had a very stressful time while driving my van on Sunday to finish packing the stack, 

as you all know last weekend's weather was terrible and the road was all muddy.

A quarter of the way up, the back of my van (rear transmission) just slide completely

on the edge of a cliff. 

You can't really see it on the picture, but the left rear tyre wasn't on

the ground. The van was inches from tumbling down.

Fortunately some friends had the number of a guy with a Landrover and he got me out of

this tricky situation in an instant.  That was a nice adrenaline rush.

What is your philosophy of life or your creed ?
\"Have a good time, ALL THE TIME\"

Wisdom is better than silver and gold !

More
15 years 9 months ago #2761 by rockin..
Replied by rockin.. on topic Worst nightmare.
wow thats insane[img]smileys/smiley14.gif[/img]

• tony.a.s.s.
  • Topic Author
More
15 years 9 months ago #2768 by tony.a.s.s.
Replied by tony.a.s.s. on topic Worst nightmare.
I guess it was fate With no number plate, you shouldn't have been on the road. Glad everyone one was ok.

Peace and goodwill to all speaker builders

• ginger_biscuit69
More
15 years 9 months ago #2772 by ginger_biscuit69
Replied by ginger_biscuit69 on topic Worst nightmare.
is that sarcasm or not!?......... its been computer painted out for internetprivacy!

More
15 years 9 months ago #2773 by giveortake
Replied by giveortake on topic Worst nightmare.
oh yes, I have edited the plate.

What is your philosophy of life or your creed ?
\"Have a good time, ALL THE TIME\"

Wisdom is better than silver and gold !

Time to create page: 0.269 seconds