Daisy chaining

More
9 years 7 months ago #21994 by mini-mad
Replied by mini-mad on topic Daisy chaining
....iv also found "cheaper" full range cabs with the crossover in such a way that they drilled through the tracks and gave some very funny results...

Just open the cabs fella! You may find a half blown crossover or thats its been strung up with telephone cable!!! :)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
9 years 7 months ago #22000 by bjm362
Replied by bjm362 on topic Re:Re: Daisy chaining

mini-mad wrote:

bjm362 wrote:

dnb123 wrote: @mini-mad basically the cab that is plugged into the amp is fine, but the one that is plugged into that cab is a lot quieter, I've shortened cables and checked connectors to see if it was a resistance thing but nope

Have you tried switching the order the cabinets in the daisy chain to see if the cabinet that is quieter has a failure somewhere internally? BTW, that second reply is from me,bjm362 not MiniMad. MiniMad is the guy that doesn't realize your post makes perfect sense as these things do occur. Sometimes it does help to get some insight from someone who has ran into that problem before!

Oooooooooooh... get her!!!!
If it was me i'd have opened all the speaker cabs and tested every last peice of equipment i own to find the fault but its hard to tell some one that without stating the bloody obvious.
These are cabs you have hand built and not bought? I ask as one could have an internal cross over in it supressing the signal a little. (As this happened to me with 2 cabs i bought and upon opening both, one had a low pass filter and the other one had it bypassed) :P

Mini-mad, you do realize that you just essentially said you have valuable experiences that not only validates the question, but presents an option you could have shared to help. Relax a bit! I was just giving them some free testing options they could do to narrow down the problem. Lets find solutions and have some fun helping each other !!!!!

• dnb123
  • Topic Author
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
More
9 years 7 months ago #22002 by dnb123
Replied by dnb123 on topic Re:Daisy chaining
Nope my cabs are passive and I use an active xo, so it can't be anything apart from soldering or resistence but I doubt that

More
9 years 7 months ago #22042 by bjm362
Replied by bjm362 on topic Re:Daisy chaining
Connection (soldering as well as other contact issues), cables, and driver are all potentials in the scenario you described as best as I remember it off hand. I think I would try a y connection and equal length cables before getting to spending much on it, but mini-mad has a very good point in that doesn't cost anything to operate a screwdriver and take a look at the internal connections. I don't think mini-mad saying it could be inside the cabinet only meant a crossover. He was just using that past experience as an example. I still think your most likely culprit is a cable, but you already said you can't switch them. Either way If you want it to work correctly you either have to do some testing or pay someone to test it.
You can set it up the same way repeatedly...and get the same results repeatedly, but to isolate the problem you are going to need to test it another way. Remember there are contact points at the driver, wire from driver to input connector on cable etc. Anywhere that chain gets compromised can be a problem!

• dnb123
  • Topic Author
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
More
9 years 6 months ago #22173 by dnb123
Thanks bjm362 I have tried to issolate the problem, re wiring everything, and still both cabs aren't as loud as each other, this happens with the bassbins aswell but only because the drivers in the bins are different, I'm wondering now if maybe I should get some y connectors, can you make some or should I just buy them, also all my speakons aren't great quality :/ thanks

More
9 years 6 months ago #22174 by bjm362
I have seen different gauges of speaker wire make a dramatic difference. How good the connections are at each point can do the same thing. Obviously with what you are being able to accomplish with improving skills in the speaker building arena etc it is likely to be embarrassing to have someone diagnose that problem for ..say at a shop etc.. If it were me I would get some good cables and adapters and try to isolate the problem. Even if you are not used to using a multimeter, you should be able to resistance in the cabinets and in cables. Like minimad said too, you can certainly operate a screwdriver and see if there is something obvious inside the cabinets.
It isn't a problem you can diagnose across the internet because there are too many variables to eliminate. Some of those you are saying can't be so actually can be the problem
I do make my own speaker cables, but unless you are as broke as I am (because of my injury) for most people good cables have become reasonable enough it doesn't generally make sense to make them. Some people still make them as a matter of personal pride to I guess.
It is going to be a process of checking individual components and connections to eliminate the problem

I will send you a PM with a few links for some options for buying cables and adapters, and or the parts to build your own!

• dnb123
  • Topic Author
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
More
9 years 6 months ago #22175 by dnb123
Thanks man really appreciate it, and I'm 17 so I probably am as broke as you... Either way my sound system is my pride and joy so I will invest if I have to, honestly I think it's probably my shitty soldering (which I have re done over and over again) but these y connectors seem like a good idea thanks a lot

P.s if you know anything about phase plugs would you mind posting somthing on my 'phase plug' thread? Thanks again :)

More
9 years 6 months ago - 9 years 6 months ago #22177 by bjm362

dnb123 wrote: P.s if you know anything about phase plugs would you mind posting somthing on my 'phase plug' thread? Thanks again :)

You probably already know most of what I know about phase plugs. The basic functions of them. Although I have read that thread with great interest, I have stayed out of it as you are getting much more qualified guidance! I can comment on the first basic level. They perform two functions in creating just enough restriction to help the cabinet and driver load the air better in the lower portion of its frequency response. The second and simultaneous function is they also pull some of the upper frequency waves back to the center so as not to create a hollow spot. Though that sounds very "high tech" there have been some good phase plugs designed by the "best guess method" which is what I would probably do. Therefor I am not qualified to advise you on that! I do hope at least one of the links I PM'ed you helps you though!

P.S. your soldering joints can be tested for conductivity and shorts with a $10 multimeter doing simple continuity tests. That could help you isolate the imbalance in your cabs!
Last edit: 9 years 6 months ago by bjm362. Reason: need

• dnb123
  • Topic Author
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
More
9 years 6 months ago #22194 by dnb123
Thanks man, multimeter it is!!!

Time to create page: 0.235 seconds